ROW, ROW, FIGHT THE POWAH!!! Gurren Lagann complete simulwatch

Sure. Should be free to watch them in the next 2 evenings.
According to MAL the Parallel Works are only 3-5 mins long each so I'll probably do them all the same day, which ever is best day for me in the days you've set for them.

And I finally caught back up (I think I was a far back as episode 16), so I've finished the TV series.
Never really been a fan of what I call the scape goat episodes. But once he break out of jail it all good and too space and beyond and of course drills. But the overall ending is nice but a bit sad. Yoko and Kitan never really get there happy ending
And simon as best I can describe at the wedding takes it all really well and over the however many year have past, it's pretty much like he's just wandering through life (Which I doubt that's what Mia would have wanted).

Last edited:
How could I not, with you producing such uncontainable hype from the beginning of the thread 🔥
João, it's the amazing infectious passion in your posts that made me have to step up like that in the first place! 🤘😆
It's wonderful.

So wonderful, in fact, that my girlfriend wants to send you another set of flame emojis and all sorts of intergalactic sh*t. The series itself might not have been her cup of tea, but she's been loving your posts. Here we go:
🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥
🌋💥🌋💥🌋💥🌋💥🌋💥
☄️🌠🚀☄️🌠🚀☄️🌠🚀☄️

GET HYPE, JOÃO!!!!!✊

🔥 🔥 🔥 🔥 🔥 🔥 🔥

Exclusive footage of a gentlemanly exchange of hype between us @Neil.T

e63566de53ec0bfa34a5c0b81aaa22a0.gif

Also pictured: my hype reserves spiraling out of control thanks to you and your girl's remarks

tumblr_n9rg8n8Brm1tgagauo1_500.gif

LET'S DANCE! 🔥 🔥 🔥 🔥 🔥 🔥 🔥

Without, you know, actually dancing which I'm terrible at, I use the expression only insofar as to represent our willingness to indulge in our anime viewing habits from the confort of our respective sofas, of course and probably with minimal physical activity for the duration of the aforementioned movies.

I almost forgot, my CPU Cooler (Kraken Z73) has a little screen on it and the ability to play gifs, so I closed the blinds and took a small recording to show you guys what I currently have it set to :)

Edit - if you click it, it will play as a video.

Ah there was a time, very long ago, when I was good with my tech but I have no idea what that thing is except for the fact that it is brilliant!
🔥 🔥 🔥 🔥 🔥 🔥 🔥

Exclusive footage of a gentlemanly exchange of hype between us @Neil.T

View attachment 18453

Also pictured: my hype reserves spiraling out of control thanks to you and your girl's remarks

View attachment 18454

LET'S DANCE! 🔥 🔥 🔥 🔥 🔥 🔥 🔥

Without, you know, actually dancing which I'm terrible at, I use the expression only insofar as to represent our willingness to indulge in our anime viewing habits from the confort of our respective sofas, of course and probably with minimal physical activity for the duration of the aforementioned movies.
Very nice! I'm so glad you two aren't watching this in the same room, otherwise we'd be reading in the news about an explosion in a residential property with a suspicious amount of drill heads found at the crime scene.

Film 1

Many changes are seen between the film and the TV series. I liked the introduction involving Lordgenome. It was also interesting to see so many of the more problematic episodes (Episodes 4-6) getting condensed so that their content was kept down to what was needed (i.e. the introduction of the Black Siblings, Rossiu, Gimmy, Darry, Old Coco etc.). I did like some of the call-back references to things we will see later, such as seeing a young Gunible who looks upon the footage of the final fight.

I'm less keen on the battle where Team Dai-Gurren are facing off against all the general at the same time - and indeed, Yoko losing her bikini during the battle, which seemed to be just fan service thrown in for no-good reason (fun for Boota through, who gives it back to her). I'm not sure about ending the film with that battle. You would think that Simon defeating Lordgenome would have been the better point to end this film, partly because it is the end of an entire arc and Film 2 can just deal with the older Simon, and partly because it would connect it to the beginning and Lordgenome's opening narration.

Joining in for the films and shorts since I watched the series last year.

The first half seemed like a longer recap episode, then it had a nicer pace for the second half. It was funny seeing the intro to many of the characters be put into montage form. You know it's new animation for the film when you think, I don't remember Yoko losing her bikini. I like the series better, the film is jammed and cut together with story of the series, so it only makes sense.

Last edited:
I've only just started it, but already in a single screen you've got homages to Gundam, Mazinger, Jeeg, Getter Robo, Macross maybe Full Metal Panic and something that looks like Guyver but is probably something else and of course, the ones that are familiar but I can't quite put my finger on.

My mecha loving sensibilities are pleased!

I was on the verge of watching at 1.5 because apart from the prologue nothing was different (apart from maybe a shot or 2 during the montage of 4, 5 & 6?) and then it veered off the series just before the final fight with the generals which I agree was a weird place to end, but I guess Lordgenome ended up playing a big role in the second half as the bio computer so I'll wait and see how they put it together in the next film.
Hard to score as the first ⅔ was a bit dull, but only because I've literally just seen it a few days ago, so it comes down to whether I liked the finale or not and as cool as the generals combining was I think you also miss a lot of cool moments from the series as well, like Yoko and Nia's "trust exercise" moment and Gurren Lagann getting its wings (although it is actually shown in the film it lacks the impact of the moment in the series).
Probably just give it an 8 like the series, so I don't have to think too hard about it.

Whilst searching MAL for the movie to add to my list I noticed that the uncut version of episode 6 has it's own entry:

I also discovered this:
A video to a song featuring the vocals by Yoko's VA, Marina Inoue. There's lots of Yoko in different outfits (some with even less material than her usual get up!) and cameos by the rest of the gang. It's also a bop:

Film 2

The way the final battle with Anti-Spiral unfolds differs from the TV series is a mixed bag for me. I like the different way the ultimate blow is delivered, in what ends up being a fist-fight between Simon and the Anti-Spiral, and I approved more of Simon's final promise to the Anti-Spiral leader as he died - no mention of humanity and stupidity, instead talking about having faith in humanity.

I'm not so sure about having all the characters who were killed off during the final battle remaining alive. For me, their deaths added to the drama of the series. Also, I'm less keen on the increased fan service in this film (does Yoko need to have a mecha with boob missiles?). Anyway, its the Parallel Works next.

Film 2

Again, pacing is an issue, with the second half being better than the first. I think if both films had an additional 15-20 mins each, then maybe it wouldn't feel as rushed.

Since I watched the series last year, my memory is a bit fuzzy. I kept thinking is this part new, I'm sure this is different and I'm sure I would have remembered Yoko's bot having missile boobs.

I liked this film more than the 1st one but I like the series better.. If someone hasn't seen either, I would definitely recommend watching the series.

I think if both films had an additional 15-20 mins each, then maybe it wouldn't feel as rushed.
The arguable issue there is that the films are already 112 and 126 minutes long respectively. I have literally no idea why, but for some reason, studios seem to try to keep their films under the two-hour mark.

While I'm on this subject, actually, others have already commented here about movie #1's decision to end with the four generals' battle royale and save the Lordgenome fight for movie #2, but the simple truth there is that the first film would have to cover 15 episodes of content, leaving only 11 episodes' worth for the sequel. By saving the Lordgenome fight for the opener of the follow-up and condensing the four generals conflict into one climactic set piece, it balances out better.

Even with this, though, movie #1 is still forced to reduce the introduction of key characters like Rossiu to montage form.

If someone hasn't seen either, I would definitely recommend watching the series.
Oh, totally. I would consider the pair of films to be more of an accompaniment to the series for anyone wanting to get their teeth into more Gurren Lagann.

I'm sure I would have remembered Yoko's bot having missile boobs.
It's incredible that that was a completely ordinary statement in the context of this conversation! 🤣

Oh, Gurren Lagann, what are you like? 😅

Confession: I haven't actually gotten around to the films during this simulwatch yet. (Blame the summer weather.) I will watch them, though, along with Parallel Works and post some thoughts in due course.

This post has sat here waiting to be finished for a week, I feel genuinely bad. And I still need to write another... two.

Episode 22 - Dawn of The Final Day
screenshot086.jpg
Do you hear that? The volume slooowly being dialled up, summoning the spirits of ancient Gainax... where are we going? The top. How are we getting there? Hard work and guts drills! Time to gattai into Moonbuster, combine your fighting spirit in Coach's Kamina's memory, defy impossible odds and punch holes in space in time.

We're back in action mode again for a significant amount of time now, but the space battles (in both this and Episode 24) are very, very awesome and make me miss 2D mechs a bit. Modern 3D stuff can still look good, it's just not quite the same. And while Simon and Viral are smacking the Moon into shape, Rossiu rolls with the punches and sticks to his guns, for now...

Episode 23 - Just stay alive
screenshot098.jpg
In which Rossiu gets punched, rolls and drops his gun. Further intra-dimensional shenanigans, Viral and Lordgenome's disembodied head both being elevated to full-time members of the crew and The Power Of Love aside, the real story here is obviously Rossiu's reckoning with himself.

What makes that all the harder to watch is that it's not the usual angsty miserablism that so often accompanies themes of suicide. Once again, he genuinely thinks it would be for the best if he just exits the scene quietly and is actually pretty calm and collected in his decision, as can often be the case. Been there, know that feel, Rossiu (though it probably would have helped if I'd at least had a Kinon, you git, you deserve that punch just for that). But Simon and his damnable will to live shows him it's still possible to get back up, carry on and find some degree of happiness while still being true to himself and even in what he sees as all his failures at least until Elder Scrolls VI comes out and then I'll decide whether it's still worth carrying on for another decade or so. I still think it would have been a better joke if the holy book had been a telephone directory.

Episode 24 - Tomino's Revenge
screenshot121.jpg
Dayakka finds his inner Captain Bright and the rest of the crew find their inner Gundam characters too, by which I mean most of them perish in the vacuum of space leaving behind traumatised teenagers and an MC with a thirst for vengeance. At least Simon didn't say something along the lines of "I won't forgive you, you're unforgivable!" (at least I don't think he did). If you didn't spend the whole of the credits on your feet saluting, you are not my aniki.

One two more things...
screenshot092.jpg

You're right to be suspicious Kittan, there is NO WAY they were that big back on Earth; wardrobe decisions alone cannot explain away an increase of at least two cup sizes and if that's an effect of space, how come it didn't happen to any of the other girls?

This post has sat here waiting to be finished for a week, I feel genuinely bad. And I still need to write another... two.
Oi! At least you've got a keyboard: I have to type my posts on a bloody phone! 😛

What makes that all the harder to watch is that it's not the usual angsty miserablism that so often accompanies themes of suicide. Once again, he genuinely thinks it would be for the best if he just exits the scene quietly and is actually pretty calm and collected in his decision, as can often be the case.
It's extremely well-written, isn't it? I honestly applaud that whole element of the story. That part where we see Rossiu alone, on his knees in the dark, with more sorrow inside himself than he can get out... And Kinon, who's comes to a standstill outside Rossiu's door... She can hear his sobbing, but she doesn't know what she should do, or if there's even anything she can do for him...

It's as you say, ayase: it hits because it's real.

Back