Signatures

Personally i can see why Paul did away with them, i mean he had specifically said many a time not to include images in the signatures but noone seemed to listen. He only allowed them once and that was when myself and Ryo did our character battle the first time round(after Mangaminx and Suiseiseki did theirs), but where to be removed after that. To be honest, i'd not see a problem bringing them back, but i'd rather no images personally, i always find they clog up the space.

Hokum said:
Can't you just limit it to text?

See that i don't know, i would've thought that if it where possible, Paul would have set it to be like way back when, unless it became a feature in the newer PHP version, i dunno. Chaos could probably answer that however.

I somewhat like the fact there aren't any sigs, but at the same time text sigs couldn't really do that much harm.. Images on the other hand can be slightly annoying if they're big..

It was fun to have a quote attached to your profile, it would be cool to see them re-introduced.

That said, I do remember it getting out of hand with the pictures. People were putting up massive images which slowed everything down and drew disproportionate attention to themselves. If it's going to end up like that again then perhaps they should remain disabled :(

I've checked the docs of phpbb and it does not have sig limited to text only. I'll see if I can hack that, then I don't see a problem re enabling them. If we can't limit them to text, then it's a no.

Hardly anyone used images in sigs anyway...it was only ever when a new person joined and didn't bother reading the rules. I think the "regulars" understood the whole "text only" thing.

DO NOT WANT

One of the things I really like about AUKN is it's simplicity. I like just being able to read downwards and everything I read being relevant to the current conversation (I won't say relevant to the topic as we know how little on topic discussion actually takes place :p). I find it quicker and easier to skim threads as I don't get distracted.

If people want more customisation and individuality I'd rather see custom titles (perhaps you could still have a number for rank) as at least they're confined to the side box.

I like the signature free nature of AUKN as well. Some of the forums I go on now and again are a real pain when it comes to seeing what is post and what is signature.

chaos said:
I've checked the docs of phpbb and it does not have sig limited to text only. I'll see if I can hack that, then I don't see a problem re enabling them. If we can't limit them to text, then it's a no.

just prevent people from uploading images by hard coding it, shouldn't be to hard. only flaw is that with this method you could forget certain file types, or if new extensions exist in times to come

In my ten years on the internet I could probably count on two hands the number of signatures that contained anything remotely worth reading. Let's just not go there.

Back