Simulwatch Planning Thread - Suggest & Discuss

A vote of some sort would be best. Does the forum allow polls? If not we'd need a way to narrow options down.

Something like everyone says their top 5 choices and then the top 3 or 5 options with most votes gets voted on by the group to decide the winner

Dont know if I'm over complicating it or not

No no, that sounds very reasonable. I think if everyone who's interested writes down their top three, the chances are we might only be left with a couple of options that have more than one vote.

My picks would be:
1. Patlabor
2. Lain/Texhnolyze (optional-happy to just watch Lain).
3. You’re Under Arrest!

In order of preference and not wanting to vote solely for my own choices:
  1. You’re Under Arrest OVAs
  2. Patlabor OVAs (@Vashdaman you'd better join in if we do this, I know you have them)
  3. Kon Films
Lain/Texhnolyze would probably be a tentative runner-up, but I prefer doing the shorter shows because they're just more realistic and achievable for me to be able to follow along with. I won't feel at all bad if people choose to go with a longer series; I'll still read the threads but will just be less likely to actually participate.

Favouring shorter-form things at the moment, I'll go for:

1. R.O.D: Read or Die (OVA)
2. Serial Experiments Lain
3. Ghost in the Shell: Innocence
In fact, since I've remembered that the subtitles on Manga's DVD are sh*te...
EDIT:
3. Satoshi Kon films

There.

Also, my apologies for missing Samurai Champloo from the list of options; that was careless of me. I've fixed that now.

Last edited:
This is hard to choose

1. Samurai Champloo
  2. Noein
  3. Kon films
Also want to note His and Her Circumstances will be in my top 3 when I get it but as I ordered it through up1 its hard to know when it will turn up.

The voting as it stands:
Candidate
Vote tally
Gurren Lagann
I​
His and Her Circumstances
I​
Noein
III​
Patlabor (OVA series 1)
II​
R.O.D: Read or Die (OVA, TV)
II​
Samurai Champloo
I​
Satoshi Kon films
III​
Serial Experiments Lain
II​
Texhnolyze
II​
You're Under Arrest (OVA)
II​

Last edited:
Patlabor and Lain I have and haven't watched, so equal first.
I have all the Kon films and haven't watched them for a while, so 3rd.
The others currently in the running I've either seen fairly recently or haven't got access to.

Wanting to get stuck into this for ages but never found the time. My choices would be
1. Serial Experiments Lain - never seen it
2. Satoshi Kon films - never a bad time to watch
3. Haibane Renmei

Voting update:
CandidateVote tally
Gurren LagannI
Haibane RenmeiI
His and Her CircumstancesI
NoeinIII
Patlabor (OVA series 1)III
R.O.D: Read or Die (OVA, TV)II
Samurai ChamplooI
Satoshi Kon filmsIIII
Serial Experiments LainIIII
TexhnolyzeII
You're Under Arrest (OVA)II

Last edited:
So, my pick would be

YUA
Patlabor
His and Her Circumstances

But, as everyone who chose Patlabor also showed some degree of interest in Lain, I'd not be against watching Lain with breaks to watch the Kon films.

The final reckoning?

CandidateVote tally
Gurren LagannI
Haibane RenmeiI
His and Her CircumstancesII
NoeinIII
Patlabor (OVA series 1)IIII
R.O.D: Read or Die (OVA, TV)II
Samurai ChamplooI
Satoshi Kon filmsIIII
Serial Experiments LainIIII
TexhnolyzeII
You're Under Arrest (OVA)III

I'd not be against watching Lain with breaks to watch the Kon films.
How about this as an idea, then, folks?

Sounds good. Lain and the Kon films are coming out on top so mixing them up sounds fun. Could do something like epsiodes mon-thurs/fri then give people the weekend to watch one of the movies?

Could do something like epsiodes mon-thurs/fri then give people the weekend to watch one of the movies?
That does sound good. 🤔

There's also this as an idea using Friday 3rd July as an example starting date:

Episode/filmDate (July)
Lain #1Fri 3
Lain #2Sat 4
Perfect BlueSun 5
Lain #3Tue 7
Lain #4Wed 8
Millennium ActressFri 10
Lain #5Sun 12
Lain #6Mon 13
Lain #7Tue 14
Tokyo GodfathersThu 16
Lain #8Sat 18
Lain #9Sun 19
Lain #10Mon 20
PaprikaWed 22
Lain #11Fri 24
Lain #12Sat 25
Lain #13Sun 26

Knowing how easy it is to fall behind with these simulwatches, this would give a 'rest' day after the first film and more spare days either side of each of the other three. Given that films are longer than individual episodes, that would give us all a span of three days to watch each of them. It would also allow for a bit of leeway in keeping up with Lain. This would mean 13 TV episodes and four films across 24 days.

What kind of route would folks prefer?

Last edited:
Not sure that I’d watch Tokyo Godfathers-always seen it as a Christmas movie due to it taking place around Christmas. Would need to get a copy of Paprika and Millennium Actress too. Happy to watch Lain and maybe Perfect Blue-it is due a rewatch!

Last edited:
That does sound good. 🤔

There's also this as an idea using Friday 3rd July as an example starting date:

Episode/filmDate (July)
Lain #1Fri 3
Lain #2Sat 4
Perfect BlueSun 5
Lain #3Tue 7
Lain #4Wed 8 Jul
Millennium ActressFri 10
Lain #5Sun 12
Lain #6Mon 13
Lain #7Tue 14
Tokyo GodfathersThu 16
Lain #8Sat 18
Lain #9Sun 19
Lain #10Mon 20
PaprikaWed 22
Lain #11Fri 24
Lain #12Sat 25
Lain #13Sun 26
Knowing how easy it is to fall behind with these simulwaches, this would give a 'rest' day after the first film and more spare days either side of each of the other three. Given that films are longer than individual episodes, that would give us all a span of three days to watch each of them. It would also allow for a bit of leeway in keeping up with Lain. This would mean 13 TV episodes and four films across 24 days.

What kind of route would folks prefer?
That order sounds good. Makes everything spread out pretty evenly and the "catch up" rest days are good idea. In all honestly it may be worth factoring them in for future simulwatches. Especially for longer shows.

I'd be quite happy with this too honestly, it's a good way to balance it out and given some of my later hours, i would get an extra day to catch up on episodes during the week, where i'm most likely to miss something. so yeah, thumbs up from me

Back