SLA Edinburgh 2019 Line-up

Jaysgba

Combat Butler
Tickets are live on the Filmhouse website.

Monday
17:45 - The Relative Worlds

Tuesday
20:40 - Patema Inverted

Wednesday
17:45 - The Life of Budori Guskou

Thursday
20:45 - The Case of Hana & Alice

Friday
15:15 - The Sacrament
17:30 - Ride Your Wave
20:00 - Human Lost
23:10 - Mind Game (Not part of the SLA line-up)

Saturday
12:30 - Children of the Sea
15:05 - Weathering with You
17:45 - Birthday Wonderland
20:30 - Mystery Film

Sunday
11:30 - Eureka Seven Hi-Evolution: Anemone
13:50 - Psycho-Pass SS Films 1-3
17:40 - Code Geass: Lelouch of the Resurrection

Monday
17:45 - Promare - Dammit Andrew!

Hi-Evo Anemone is meant to be pretty decent, and i'm quite happy they brought it in if so, it's meant to be a lot different to the first film so i can see it working. Geass is absolutely fine to be there, i just will probably pass as i don't like the trilogy storyline.
Looking at the rest of the week, I'm glad Patema is there, it had a stellar showing when it first got shown, Hana & Alice is a surprise, but a nice one. The Friday and Saturday, expected, but i'm not feeling much from them. Will most likely go to as many as i can, but i'm less bothered by more Shinkai, more interested in more Yuasa.

I care I just want to see what AL has for those as they could release a trilogy set they won’t. . And as I’m not going to Scotland yep every film I would watch isn’t there maybe the PP films and would have to see Weathering for you to see how overrated it is.

Also HF II is the best thing I’ve seen this year by miles it’s a travesty it’s not there and Haikara San II which was loved rightfully so isn’t there I think it’s okay set. Promare Given a Monday slot too is a weird choice?

Eureka Seven Hi Evo can not be redeemed after that first film I will never ever ever watch again in my life so I have Zero interest in the Sequel because of how bad that was.

Last edited:
Randomly made a round-up poster visual for those who wanted to see what the films looked like.

EDlR2yoXoAMRsCj

And for those curious about The Sacrament. This is actually a live-action Japanese film called Seinaru Mono that was released in 2018. It's directed by Iwakiri Isora.

Can't say that line up does much for me, I'll likely jump through and watch Weathering with You but that's about it tbh. I think the mystery film may be Redline which I would love to see on the big screen, but I'm not gonna buy a ticket unless I know for certain.

Outside of the big hitters, it's an odd lineup. Promare on the Monday makes literally no sense. The Code Geass sequel makes no sense either as the vast majority will not have seen recap films 2 and 3. A live action film also seems an odd choice. I thought Hi-Evo 2 might have been forgotten about, but it seems Andrew's enthusiasm for that film a couple of years ago was legit. Surprised at the lack of KyoAni as well.

Psycho Pass SS is of interest to me, but some of the line-up is available on BD and some streaming. I'm quite disappointed really.

I care I just want to see what AL has for those as they could release a trilogy set they won’t. . And as I’m not going to Scotland yep every film I would watch isn’t there maybe the PP films and would have to see Weathering for you to see how overrated it is.

Also HF II is the best thing I’ve seen this year by miles it’s a travesty it’s not there and Haikara San II which was loved rightfully so isn’t there I think it’s okay set. Promare Given a Monday slot too is a weird choice?

Eureka Seven Hi Evo can not be redeemed after that first film I will never ever ever watch again in my life so I have Zero interest in the Sequel because of how bad that was.

I can't help but notice despite never planning to attend in any form, you find time every year to critique our line-up. If I were to charge tickets for the privilege I'd make a guaranteed sale every year from you 😂,

Tickets are live on the Filmhouse website.

Monday
17:45 - The Relative Worlds

Tuesday
20:40 - Patema Inverted

Wednesday
17:45 - The Life of Budori Guskou

Thursday
20:45 - The Case of Hana & Alice

Friday
15:15 - The Sacrament
17:30 - Ride Your Wave
20:00 - Human Lost
23:10 - Mind Game (Not part of the SLA line-up)

Saturday
12:30 - Children of the Sea
15:05 - Weathering with You
17:45 - Birthday Wonderland
20:30 - Mystery Film

Sunday
11:30 - Eureka Seven Hi-Evolution: Anemone
13:50 - Psycho-Pass SS Films 1-3
17:40 - Code Geass: Lelouch of the Resurrection
20:40 - A Silent Voice

Monday
17:45 - Promare - Dammit Andrew!

There's a film slot missing on the Sunday and there's a reason there's a second screening of Promare on the Monday at the Filmhouse. Downside to our full programme not being online yet is there are some details missing just now...

Also, I fixed the line-up a bit to make sure the last film at the Filmhouse is there - for some reason it's not listed yet but will be there later on :).

Outside of the big hitters, it's an odd lineup. Promare on the Monday makes literally no sense. The Code Geass sequel makes no sense either as the vast majority will not have seen recap films 2 and 3. A live action film also seems an odd choice. I thought Hi-Evo 2 might have been forgotten about, but it seems Andrew's enthusiasm for that film a couple of years ago was legit. Surprised at the lack of KyoAni as well.

Figured I'd chime in as the festival director here...

Promare: Actually, it makes more sense when you see the full line-up. That will be the second screening - the first one isn't happening at the Filmhouse and there'll be some more details on that shortly :).

Code Geass - Lelouch of the Resurrection: It's no odder choice than showing any other franchise film - there's a lot of recognition of Code Geass and we just don't have enough slots to screen all three films in the run-up vs other curated films. As is we didn't have space for every franchise film we wanted in just now so it's tough!

From my AL hat it'd have been ideal to have the Geass Parts 2 and 3 out first but we just weren't able to, it sucks but it happens and I can't do much to fix that by the time the line-up was locked, sorry folks.

Hi-Evo 2: The second film diverges entirely from the series and feels like as far as franchise commitments go a reasonable one as if you've seen film 1 or not, you're no worse off going into this one.

Kyoani: The screening of A Silent Voice on the Sunday to close our festival out hasn't gone live yet - but we always screen a classic film there where we can now (Metropolis and Jin-Roh previously). For us A Silent Voice is a modern classic that given the circumstances is an important one to screen now. Again the downside of the partial schedule being picked up before we announce it officially (usually when all tickets are live unless there are any hiccups).

Hope this helps!

AP

I knew this was Anime Limited's favourite film.

Hahaha - well it is a part of Scotland Loves Anime's history!

We've curated a whole strand of films that are looking back at Scotland Loves Anime of the past to celebrate our past 9 years where we screened 117 individual films (not including the second screenings we'll have done in one city or the other). That breaks down as the below (with a wee spoiler to our late night classic in Glasgow):

Jury Award Winner of choice: Patema Inverted (Edinburgh)
Audience Award Winner of choice: Hana & Alice (Edinburgh)
Film from our first year, we'd have given the award to: Redline (Glasgow)
Making sure new people get the references annually: Budori Guskou (Edinburgh)

Best,

Andrew

We've curated a whole strand of films that are looking back at Scotland Loves Anime of the past to celebrate our past 9 years where we screened 117 individual films (not including the second screenings we'll have done in one city or the other). That breaks down as the below (with a wee spoiler to our late night classic in Glasgow):

Best,

Andrew
Ah that makes sense now, I forgot it's the 10th anniversary so you wanted to bring back some highlights of the previous years. I'm not going but you have some solid choices on the line-up (Children of the Sea for example is pretty much praiseworthy for its visuals).

Figured I'd chime in as the festival director here...

Promare: Actually, it makes more sense when you see the full line-up. That will be the second screening - the first one isn't happening at the Filmhouse and there'll be some more details on that shortly :).

Code Geass - Lelouch of the Resurrection: It's no odder choice than showing any other franchise film - there's a lot of recognition of Code Geass and we just don't have enough slots to screen all three films in the run-up vs other curated films. As is we didn't have space for every franchise film we wanted in just now so it's tough!

From my AL hat it'd have been ideal to have the Geass Parts 2 and 3 out first but we just weren't able to, it sucks but it happens and I can't do much to fix that by the time the line-up was locked, sorry folks.

Hi-Evo 2: The second film diverges entirely from the series and feels like as far as franchise commitments go a reasonable one as if you've seen film 1 or not, you're no worse off going into this one.

Kyoani: The screening of A Silent Voice on the Sunday to close our festival out hasn't gone live yet - but we always screen a classic film there where we can now (Metropolis and Jin-Roh previously). For us A Silent Voice is a modern classic that given the circumstances is an important one to screen now. Again the downside of the partial schedule being picked up before we announce it officially (usually when all tickets are live unless there are any hiccups).

Hope this helps!

AP

Thanks for the response Andrew! That sounds good, didn't realise the above wasn't the full schedule.

Re: Code Geass - Yeah, fully understand. Definitely would have been nice to have parts 2 & 3 from the AL side, but at least we have something.

Re: Hi-Evo 2 - Yeah, while I hated Hi-Evo 1; this second one has had me intrigued for a while. Thought it fell off the radar so nice for it to finally make its appearance.

Best,

Andrew

There will be a few fresh faces waiting to see Budori and i can only imagine they will get it once they leave the cinema.

I actually completely forgot Hana & Alice got that level of recognition, but glad it did. It was a nice film. Was going to mention Night is Short, considering it was voted for for a couple years running despite never being in the awards, but that would probably be too soon.

Redline being there seems a fitting way to celebrate two 10th anniversaries as well. Shame i have to work 7pm - 7am on that sunday D: i may try and get it off...

Otherwise, definitely interested in Hi-EVO 2. I want to see how it diverges

Back