Studio Ghibli UK Thread ~ Laptua + Yamada BD numbers fixed

Re: Studio Ghibli UK Thread ~ The Wind Rises [ETA Sept 2014]

-Danielle- said:
Has anyone heard about the two future released to come from Ghibli?

Can't decide if The Tale of Princess Kaguya will be my cup of tea but I thought that about From Up On Poppy Hill and was SO happily wrong so who knows. ‎When Marnie Was There sounds like something I'd like.

Princess Kaguya has been licensed by GKIDS over in the states (like From Up on Poppy Hill) so I'm going to guess it won't be here till about 2015 (or maybe earlier if they release it in the Q4 era).

When Marnie Was There is an interesting one, nothing new has been said but I have a hunch it's going to get the Arrietty treatment (same director, British book etc.)

Today I received replacement covers and slip cases for Laputa & Yamada's

Both Blu Rays now have the correct numbers, Laputa now being 6 and Yamada's 12.

Dannielle said:
Today I received replacement covers and slip cases for Laputa & Yamada's

Both Blu Rays now have the correct numbers, Laputa now being 6 and Yamada's 12.

That means they should be bringing out new stock for the sets in stores (like Whisper), thanks for the notice.

Re: Studio Ghibli UK Thread ~ Laptua + Yamada BD numbers fix

Received my Yamada's and Laptua today.

if anyone wants a Whisper of the heart correct numbered sleeve and cover they have sent me an extra one.

Let me know

am i the only one here who has given up on their numbering. Even if they correct them all it still doesnt match the ghibli release dates, which frustrates me.

windcott said:
am i the only one here who has given up on their numbering. Even if they correct them all it still doesnt match the ghibli release dates, which frustrates me.

I was actually going to convince myself and get the Japanese BDs instead given that there are differences in quality and content in each territory, Blu-ray.com did a good comparison.

I also got my Laputa replacement cover yesterday :D

I received my Arrietty corrected cover and slip today so hopefully everyone else should be getting theirs soon too :)

Does anyone know whether Ocean Waves and Only Yesterday will be being released on BD? If not then the whole renumbering thing is arguably pointless as there will be gaps.

Random said:
Does anyone know whether Ocean Waves and Only Yesterday will be being released on BD? If not then the whole renumbering thing is arguably pointless as there will be gaps.
Studio Canal have stated that they have no plans to release either on Blu-ray, but hopefully that changes down the line once Kaguya is out. And yes, the numbering was doomed from the start.

qaiz said:
Random said:
Studio Canal have stated that they have no plans to release either on Blu-ray, but hopefully that changes down the line once Kaguya is out. And yes, the numbering was doomed from the start.

Do you have a source on that? I thought the state of play was that they would be released if they were dubbed? I was kind of hoping there would be enough of a demand built up over in the states for them the get that dub and then see a UK release...?

msgeek said:
Do you have a source on that? I thought the state of play was that they would be released if they were dubbed? I was kind of hoping there would be enough of a demand built up over in the states for them the get that dub and then see a UK release...?
I mean I have nothing definitive, so I guess I shouldn't speak as if its 100% fact, but it comes from a post on the Blu-ray forum. Link. Like I said, I think as time goes on, they may release these in order to fill out the release schedule, but being sub only releases, I think the idea is if you really want them, you'd just import them anyways, being region free and all that. I don't see these getting a dub ever either, and neither of these have and will be released in the US any time soon. A lot of people in the US probably didn't even know about these films up until a few years ago, where they had their US theatrical premier. Disney won't release them, but maybe GKids.

Received my Arrietty replacement today, had to fit it around the outside of my collectors edition..don't look too bad...shame they didn't print off some corrected collectors boxes to accommodate but it'll do. I have to give them props for listening to the buyers and sending out replacements for everything else.

Gutted about Only Yesterday & Ocean Waves (if it is true, which I find it likely to be), the numberings going to look off. I'm sure those two are two of the lowest sellers thus no upgrade but the fact of the matter is that they've started a numbered collection on Blu and don't intend to complete it, Irritating...

Has Little Norse Prince received a Blu in Japan?

Dannielle said:
Received my Arrietty replacement today, had to fit it around the outside of my collectors edition..don't look too bad...shame they didn't print off some corrected collectors boxes to accommodate but it'll do. I have to give them props for listening to the buyers and sending out replacements for everything else.

Gutted about Only Yesterday & Ocean Waves (if it is true, which I find it likely to be), the numberings going to look off. I'm sure those two are two of the lowest sellers thus no upgrade but the fact of the matter is that they've started a numbered collection on Blu and don't intend to complete it, Irritating...

Has Little Norse Prince received a Blu in Japan?

Arent you talking about Horus Prince of the Sun? It does have a blu in Japan, and a DVD release from Discotek which has an excellent transfer, the very rare English dub and even essays and a commentary by Mike Toole. It would be nice if we could get it over here, but under the correct name, Little Norse Prince sounds like a stupid kids film, whereas Horus Prince of the Sun sounds more fitting to the movie.

Of to import Only Yesterday and Ocean Waves then.

DragonBlaze67 said:
Curious that your Arrietty only comes with the blu-ray when all ghibli blu rays (since Nausicaa) have included a dvd.
There was a limited edition combo with slipcover and postcards, and a regular edition BD. I don't think they ever did a regular edition combo, but the BD was re-released for some strange reason.

Combo: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006CN3U92 (9 Jan. 2012)
BD: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005A50V0O (9 Jan. 2012)
DVD: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00505QAAO (9 Jan. 2012)
BD: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0078K45M4 (26 Mar. 2012)

Shiroi Hane said:
DragonBlaze67 said:
Curious that your Arrietty only comes with the blu-ray when all ghibli blu rays (since Nausicaa) have included a dvd.
There was a limited edition combo with slipcover and postcards, and a regular edition BD. I don't think they ever did a regular edition combo, but the BD was re-released for some strange reason.

Combo: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006CN3U92 (9 Jan. 2012)
BD: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005A50V0O (9 Jan. 2012)
DVD: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00505QAAO (9 Jan. 2012)
BD: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0078K45M4 (26 Mar. 2012)

They did do a regular edition combo, i should know i've got it :)

Looking at the product details the first BD link you posted is the regular combo and as you said they re-released it as a blu-ray only edition in that 2nd BD link you posted.

The version of Arrietty I have includes both the DVD and BD and has a slipcover (I think that's the right term) but no postcards, the cover and box have the same artwork with Arrietty amongst some leaves. I guess that's the standard combo version.

The number it has is 6, which I assume is wrong in some way but I haven't really been keeping up with the numbering debate (though I'll maybe regret that one day).

I really want that Only Yesterday Blu-ray release (I'd likely pick up Ocean Waves but I haven't watched it yet so I can't be too enthusiastic). Hopefully I won't regret holding off on importing (or maybe I'll just give up and import if the mood takes me).

I have the first one (definitely; Amazon remembers me buying it). I missed the "Blu-ray disc + DVD video" on the bottom of the cover of non-limited BDs since that's normally at the top and Amazon lists both as BD-only. However, both versions have it, even the one that states only one disc...
Going by the BVA, the regular edition combo is SKU OPTBD-2103 and EAN 5055201816283. Can you confirm that?

Yup, it has OPTBD2103 and 5055201816283 on it so that seems right.

Hi, can anyone tell me why Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind isn’t sold Blu Ray + DVD Combo like the rest of Studio Ghibli’s Flims in the UK?

Back