The Gaming News Thread (for news that doesn't need a thread)

Cyberpunk 2077 sounds like a bit of a mixed bag from the reviews. Mostly excellent in terms of the amount of side quests and how your actions affect the main plot (and the soundtrack), but a ton of bugs and no one's seen the console version in action!
I may wait to see what people are saying about it's performance before buying it, at least till the next day. That and my staff discount goes up to 15% on Friday!
Sounds like you can make a pretty close approximation to Major Kusanagi in the character build apart from one thing, the background part. From what I remember and from SAC 2nd GIG she is an orphan after a plane crash and then is one of the first to receive a full body prosthetic. She's then adopted by a doctor and eventually joins the military before Aramaki recruits her to build Section 9. Nomad is definitely out, Corpo might fit as in the C2077 world the corporations have their own military and Street Kid could be a pick because she is also streetwise and always seems to know some shady character that can help them.
I can't wait to play the game myself but this whole year has just driven home how much you really can't trust reviews.
Any and all reviewers can worship CDPR as much as they want but no reputable outlet can say its filled to the brim with bugs then give it a 100% perfect score!
I say this as someone who bought The Witcher 3 day one (spoiler: it ran like s#it). You can't rate a game on what it'll be in 6 months when all the bugs are ironed out. You rate it on what it is now and going by the reviews regardless of how fun it is its not a perfect game and should be a 7 or 8 max 🤷‍♂️

I can't wait to play the game myself but this whole year has just driven home how much you really can't trust reviews.
Any and all reviewers can worship CDPR as much as they want but no reputable outlet can say its filled to the brim with bugs then give it a 100% perfect score!
I say this as someone who bought The Witcher 3 day one (spoiler: it ran like s#it). You can't rate a game on what it'll be in 6 months when all the bugs are ironed out. You rate it on what it is now and going by the reviews regardless of how fun it is its not a perfect game and should be a 7 or 8 max 🤷‍♂️
I completed it on Sunday the life paths don't change the way the game ends.

I completed it on Sunday the life paths don't change the way the game ends.
Yeah, they really oversold the life paths like it'd completely change the beginning hours of the game. I chose Nomad and was in the main story arc in 20mins thought I missed something so saved and tried the Street Kid path and it took less time to get to the main story 😂
They really oversold a lot of things. And I'm not talking last gen graphics.
Go find their description of how the police system A.I. would work with the ability to bribe cops and eventually get high level bounty hunters after you...... 🤦‍♂️

Blame the share holders they set the unrealistic deadlines for this game and the shareholders don't give **** about the game just about getting there money from their investment as soon as possible and the only reason Sony pulled the game from the ps store is so they don't have to give out refunds.

Blame the share holders they set the unrealistic deadlines for this game and the shareholders don't give **** about the game just about getting there money from their investment as soon as possible and the only reason Sony pulled the game from the ps store is so they don't have to give out refunds.
But they are giving refunds?

I'm only going by what I've read.
Yeah things are constantly changing, Sony & Microsoft giving unconditional refunds. Makes sense to pull it from the store or you'd just have people buying it for the meme and getting a refund 24hrs later 🤷‍♂️

I fully agree it was shareholders who forced them to push it out when it wasn't ready but at the same time having played about 15hrs, and I say this having loved Witcher 2 & 3, CDPR just weren't prepared for the task of creating this type of game! I know a lot of people will say but they did The Witcher and yes the world & side quests in this are great its just everything else like AI, driving, character customization, in game physics that is completely lacking.

They literally had one of there 'NightCity Wire' episodes all about the variety of distinct fashion styles and arguments but in the actual game once you've made your character thats it! Can't change your hair, tattoos, facial arguments anything I thought someone was joking when I read that 😅

Look at Guerrilla Games, went from an FPS in Killzone to a massive open world 3rd person action game in Horizon: Zero Dawn and killed it.

By comparison CDPR did the opposite in going from and open word 3rd person action game to a open world FPS RPG and they sound the same but they're different beasts and they just bit off more than they could chew 🤷‍♂️ my personal opinion.

and yes the world & side quests in this are great its just everything else like AI, driving, character customization, in game physics that is completely lacking.
I can't help but wonder what it would have been like if made by Rockstar who have years of experience of making these types of cityscapes and all those systems you mention.
Hopefully CDPR patch it as best they can and learn from the mistakes made, because they obviously now have more experience and a foundation for a Cyberpunk 2078 (or whatever).

Princess Connect! Re: Dive is live on the Google play store. Only seen the intro so far cos I'm at work, but the cutscenes are a stuttering mess. This is probably due to my phone being a bit old, I've had it for 4 years and it was already an older model. The little bit of game seemed to work though.
I'll have to download it to my tablet later and see if it's better.

Last edited:
Here's your regularly scheduled vague non-news about the next Final Fantasy VII game:

Considering the above, and that Squenix recently trademarked the term 'The First Soldier' (ie. Sephiroth), I wonder if most or all of the next game might take place during the flashback at Kalm. I'd assumed that the subsequent chapters would pick up the pace, but maybe they're planning to flesh out every part of the story as much as they did with Midgar in the first Remake. Could we be spending 40 hours living out Cloud's imagined career as a SOLDIER alongside Sephiroth?

There's a report going around that's stating the PlayStation store on PlayStation 3, PlayStation Portable and PlayStation Vita will soon close down, meaning if you were planning to purchase digital games you only have a few months left to do so.

Re-downloading shouldn't be an issue like other consoles have done, but this is basically sad news if you're wanting to get digital PS1 & PS2 games from UK, US & Japan or even PSN titles that are still exclusive to the PS3 like Tokyo Jungle or Japan-only games.

Anyway, 2nd July is the PS3 & PSP store closure and 27th August for the Vita store closure.

EDIT: Examples of games that are PlayStation 3 exclusive:
  • Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax (Original ver., Ignition ver. available on PS4)
  • Drakengard 3
  • Dynasty Warriors: Gundam Reborn
  • Eternal Sonata (Extended ver., Original ver. available on Xbox 360)
  • Everybody's Golf: World Tour
  • EX Troopers
  • Folklore
  • Gal*Gun (Original ver., Returns ver. available on Switch & PC)
  • God of War HD Collection
  • God of War: Ascension
  • Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F
  • Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F 2nd
  • Heavenly Sword
  • Hyperdimension Neptunia (Original ver., Re'Birth ver. available on PS5)
  • Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2
  • Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
  • Ico & Shadow of the Colossus HD Collection (SotC Remake available on PS4)
  • Initial D: Extreme Stage
  • Jak & Daxter HD Collection (PS2 ver. available on PS4)
  • JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All Star Battle
  • K-On! Houkago Live!! HD Ver.
  • Katamari Forever
  • Killzone Trilogy
  • Macross 30: Ginga o Tsunagu Utagoe
  • Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
  • Mobile Suit Gundam Side Stories
  • Mobile Suit Gundam UC
  • Mobile Suit Gundam: Extreme Vs.
  • Mobile Suit Gundam: Target in Sight
  • MotorStorm franchise
  • No More Heroes: Heroes Paradise (Original ver. available on Switch)
  • One Piece: Pirate Warriors
  • One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2
  • OneChanbara Z: Kagura with Nonono!
  • PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale
  • Puppeteer
  • Ratchet & Clank HD Collection
  • Ridge Racer 7
  • Ryu Ga Gotoku 1&2 HD Edition (Yakuza 1 & 2 HD, Kiwami ver. available on current-gen platforms)
  • Ryu Ga Gotoku Kenzan! (Yakuza/Like a Dragon Arrives)
  • Sengoku Basara HD Collection
  • Sengoku Basara: Samurai Heroes
  • Shin Koihime Musou: Otome Taisen Sangokushi Engi
  • Short Peace: Ranko Tsukigime's Longest Day
  • Siren Blood Curse
  • Sly Cooper HD Collection
  • Tales of Graces f
  • Tales of Symphonia HD Collection (First game is available on Steam)
  • Tales of Xillia
  • Tales of Xillia 2
  • Tears to Tiara II: Heir of the Overlord
  • Tekken Hybrid (Tekken Tag Tournament HD)
  • Vampire Resurrection [Darkstalkers Resurrection]
  • Wangan Midnight
  • White Knight Chronicles
  • White Knight Chronicles II
  • Yakuza: Dead Souls

Last edited:
There's a report going around that's stating the PlayStation store on PlayStation 3, PlayStation Portable and PlayStation Vita will soon close down, meaning if you were planning to purchase digital games you only have a few months left to do so.

Re-downloading shouldn't be an issue like other consoles have done, but this is basically sad news if you're wanting to get digital PS1 & PS2 games from UK, US & Japan or even PSN titles that are still exclusive to the PS3 like Tokyo Jungle or Japan-only games.

Anyway, 2nd July is the PS3 & PSP store closure and 27th August for the Vita store closure.
I notice that's not official, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is true. You already can't buy games for those systems via the PS Store website. It's a pain if they do this though. If they're leaving the game files on the servers for people to re-download purchases, I'm forced to wonder how much time or expense would be involved in just leaving the current versions of the stores operational. It's not like the PS5 is a successor to the Vita, so the idea of pushing people the newer systems wouldn't apply in that case. And it's not like they've put much effort into the PS3 store in the last several years anyway; it's been borderline broken since they shoehorned the PS4 UI onto it.

The sole Japan-only title I have is LSD: Dream Emulator, which is worth picking up for curiosities sake.

EDIT: Examples of games that are PlayStation 3 exclusive:
  • Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax (Original ver., Ignition ver. available on PS4)
  • Drakengard 3
  • Dynasty Warriors: Gundam Reborn
  • Eternal Sonata (Extended ver., Original ver. available on Xbox 360)
  • Everybody's Golf: World Tour
  • EX Troopers
  • Folklore
  • Gal*Gun (Original ver., Returns ver. available on Switch & PC)
  • God of War HD Collection
  • God of War: Ascension
  • Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F
  • Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F 2nd
  • Heavenly Sword
  • Hyperdimension Neptunia (Original ver., Re'Birth ver. available on PS5)
  • Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2
  • Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
  • Ico & Shadow of the Colossus HD Collection (SotC Remake available on PS4)
  • Initial D: Extreme Stage
  • Jak & Daxter HD Collection (PS2 ver. available on PS4)
  • JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All Star Battle
  • K-On! Houkago Live!! HD Ver.
  • Katamari Forever
  • Killzone Trilogy
  • Macross 30: Ginga o Tsunagu Utagoe
  • Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
  • Mobile Suit Gundam Side Stories
  • Mobile Suit Gundam UC
  • Mobile Suit Gundam: Extreme Vs.
  • Mobile Suit Gundam: Target in Sight
  • MotorStorm franchise
  • No More Heroes: Heroes Paradise (Original ver. available on Switch)
  • One Piece: Pirate Warriors
  • One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2
  • OneChanbara Z: Kagura with Nonono!
  • PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale
  • Puppeteer
  • Ratchet & Clank HD Collection
  • Ridge Racer 7
  • Ryu Ga Gotoku 1&2 HD Edition (Yakuza 1 & 2 HD, Kiwami ver. available on current-gen platforms)
  • Ryu Ga Gotoku Kenzan! (Yakuza/Like a Dragon Arrives)
  • Sengoku Basara HD Collection
  • Sengoku Basara: Samurai Heroes
  • Shin Koihime Musou: Otome Taisen Sangokushi Engi
  • Short Peace: Ranko Tsukigime's Longest Day
  • Siren Blood Curse
  • Sly Cooper HD Collection
  • Tales of Graces f
  • Tales of Symphonia HD Collection (First game is available on Steam)
  • Tales of Xillia
  • Tales of Xillia 2
  • Tears to Tiara II: Heir of the Overlord
  • Tekken Hybrid (Tekken Tag Tournament HD)
  • Vampire Resurrection [Darkstalkers Resurrection]
  • Wangan Midnight
  • White Knight Chronicles
  • White Knight Chronicles II
  • Yakuza: Dead Souls
I have some recourses for anyone that wants to prepare.

and also

(this lists RPG's only)

For myself I intend to buy a bigger HDD asap. I think 1tb might be enough.

Back