The General Conversation Area

I got the AL Gurren Lagann set from a recent deal of the week, it's on the old backlog but now I'm concerned. I hope it's not too bad.
No, it really isn't too bad, I wouldn't say. It's three short snippets in three separate episodes. The second one is pretty unfortunate, to be honest, because it's the longest one and it's part of an action sequence. The other two are pretty inconsequential, and I must admit that I didn't even notice the first one when I first watched the series.

More on the issue here. The article makes reference to the Ultimate Edition, but all of AL's subsequent releases have used the same discs:

As for my personal take on it all, from reading Grav's post above and as someone who bought AL's Collector's Edition that contains the four BDs of the series plus an extra two containing the films and the Parallel Works short animations, I would still rather have AL's UK edition. Of course, for anyone who has only the series itself and not the films, it might be a bit of a different story, but I will say that the "Yoko goes to Gainax" extra feature on disc 4 is a worthwhile addition.

Actually, while we're on this subject, @NormanicGrav, do the overseas editions of Gurren Lagann include the two films?

Also, was the UK release a UK/Australia co-production? I seem to remember Madman's logo being on the discs at startup.

No, it really isn't too bad, I wouldn't say. It's three short snippets in three separate episodes. The second one is pretty unfortunate, to be honest, because it's the longest one and it's part of an action sequence. The other two are pretty inconsequential, and I must admit that I didn't even notice the first one when I first watched the series.

More on the issue here. The article makes reference to the Ultimate Edition, but all of AL's subsequent releases have used the same discs:

As for my personal take on it all, from reading Grav's post above and as someone who bought AL's Collector's Edition that contains the four BDs of the series plus an extra two containing the films and the Parallel Works short animations, I would still rather have AL's UK edition. Of course, for anyone who has only the series itself and not the films, it might be a bit of a different story, but I will say that the "Yoko goes to Gainax" extra feature on disc 4 is a worthwhile addition.

Actually, while we're on this subject, @NormanicGrav, do the overseas editions of Gurren Lagann include the two films?

Also, was the UK release a UK/Australia co-production? I seem to remember Madman's logo being on the discs at startup.

Re: Vincent's concerns - Like Neil said it only affected a few episodes during the first half of the series. As GL was one of those shows I started renting first before owning the AL release, I started continuing the series around episode 10 onwards so I didn't actually watch the segments that had those issues.

Re: Neil - The Australian release shares the UK authoring so both regions are affected. The Aniplex of America BD-Box does include the movies but not Parallel Works, here's a TL;DR on the set contents:
Episodes 1-27, 2 Movies, Episode 6 Broadcast Version, Textless Openings and Endings
Now despite my statement, I did mention that the UK does have bonus features that weren't included in the Aniplex of America releases (yep, Parallel Works isn't on the US release) so there is some form of value in owning it (better if you just own the standard edition and even the re-release collector's edition that had the movies as well). It was primarily the Ultimate Edition where I felt it wasn't worth the cost overall.

It was primarily the Ultimate Edition where I felt it wasn't worth the cost overall.
Yes, it had quite a hefty price tag on it, didn't it? And it looks like it was quite a hefty piece to find shelf space for.

And then there was the disc tray issue. That was unfortunate, as AL themselves have said.

some random knowledge but today i found out without heat that elastic bands can melt and turn into a hardened pile of goo, made the discovery while looking through some drawers trying to find something and discovered it on the bottom of a pile of papers

I don't know ware else to put this so I posted it here.
I’ll check again, if they are still listed then it’s the US, I have heard of this, and it’s this and Tencent creeping in that Japan’s creative industry is afraid of. They think that censorship and regulation of all sides will squeeze real creative freedom out of the industry. I would say after Hong Kong you could give any company from China a big fat no, regulations from the Chinese government is too much of a risk for business.

The idea of the same coming for the west though, I could say a dozen things coming from the west this site doesn’t like, but basically that stuff is bad for business too, it turns anyone off buying stuff and the problem is we’ll be afraid we can’t buy it at all, no one wants the light novel/manga/anime to shrink again

@NormanicGrav

I don't think the Gurren Lagann Blu-ray was that bad, a few seconds of footage wasn't enough to spoil my enjoyment and the show instantly became one of favourites and still is to this day.

What does spoil my enjoyment though is unreadable subs, and that's why Kiznaiver is the most disappointing AL release for me. I still haven't finished it because of that and i think i'd have a much better time just watching it on CR to be honest.

Is there any way of buying a game on Playstation store (Either on a PC or PS3/4) and transfering it to a Vita that can't connecting to the internet?

I think transfering games via USB from a PS3 to PSP worked a few years ago, but I've never tried to a Vita and don't really want to be spending £7.99 and find out I can't transfer/play the game

My account is logged in on the Vita and can run the games already downloaded on it

What does spoil my enjoyment though is unreadable subs, and that's why Kiznaiver is the most disappointing AL release for me. I still haven't finished it because of that and i think i'd have a much better time just watching it on CR to be honest.

I got Kiznaiver in the mystery box (iirc) so that's going to be fun from the sounds of it lol.

Is there any way of buying a game on Playstation store (Either on a PC or PS3/4) and transfering it to a Vita that can't connecting to the internet?

I think transfering games via USB from a PS3 to PSP worked a few years ago, but I've never tried to a Vita and don't really want to be spending £7.99 and find out I can't transfer/play the game

My account is logged in on the Vita and can run the games already downloaded on it

Can you install a free demo? That's probably the quickest way to test the method. I've never tried it for anything other than backups but the FAQs for the Content Manager Assistant software imply that you can use it to transfer games from PC to Vita too: Copying and deleting games and other applications using a computer | PlayStation®Vita User's Guide

R

Thanks for the link. A bit more reassuring at least :)

Now you've said it, a demo does seem the obvious way to find out. Thanks
is it a PS1/PSP game or an actual Vita game?

with Vita games you can download it via the PS3 and hook the vita up via usb to transfer it over in the content manager app,

if it's a PS1/PSP game you'll have to look up a UK based compatibility list because for some reason some games that you can download directly on the vita itself can't be transferred over or there are some games that do work but can only be transferred over, it's all kind of a mess with sony

bull **** theres nothing illegal in those manga titles and reseter is loving the ban.

all those manga titles are available in the uk from places like forbidden planet like a said there's nothing illegal in those manga titles like i said its ********.

Last edited:
Back