The General Conversation Area

Gemsy-chan

Akatsuki
Got something coming from Amazon Japan via DHL, so far it’s gone from Japan - Hong Kong - Canada and it’s currently in the USA and still it says it’ll get delivered today. Unless concord suddenly comes back into commission I don’t think that’s gonna happen.

João Gomes

Thousand Master
Coincidentally enough, I've just started learning German 😅

Sehr gut! WÜNDERBAR and such

I studied the basics a few years back and it kind of changed my view of the language - I found it enjoyable! Didn't continue though, so I can't even put a sentence together and my vocabulary can't even be called that when I only know a few scattered words.

Still, hope you enjoy it!

RadFemHedonist

Death Scythe
Sehr gut! WÜNDERBAR and such

I studied the basics a few years back and it kind of changed my view of the language - I found it enjoyable! Didn't continue though, so I can't even put a sentence together and my vocabulary can't even be called that when I only know a few scattered words.

Still, hope you enjoy it!

I learned it as a teenager and was in the top group for my year, decided to pick it back up again :)

Thanks for the encouragement! :D

Girls with Guns

Mad Scientist
Guten Nachmittag, Fraulein RadFem! Wie geht es Ihnen, heute Nachmittag? Möchten Sie heute einen neuen Anime kaufen?

Lol, I had 4 years of German in high school, although that was over 45 years ago, so I don't remember too much. I was dating a German girl in 8th grade who spoke German fluently, so I picked German over French or Spanish when I had to take a language starting in 9th grade. Didn't help though, we broke up the summer after 9th grade. sigh, oh well. My first love and still my favorite, but sadly not to be. I actually got to see her just a few months ago for the first time since then.

RadFemHedonist

Death Scythe
Guten Nachmittag, Fraulein RadFem! Wie geht es Ihnen, heute Nachmittag? Möchten Sie heute einen neuen Anime kaufen?

"Good late afternoon, young miss RadFem! How are you today? Do you want to buy any new anime at the moment?"

I looked up möchten but understood the rest without googling (I think) :)

The answer is something like "Ja, natürlich! Aber ich spare gerade Geld." The second sentence was totally copied off Google translate though so can't vouch for accuracy, I did find this interesting page of contexted examples: I'm saving money - Translation into German - examples English | Reverso Context

I also dig this list of words for feelings (I don't mind putting in the work on Duolingo to learn the other word categories but I don't really connect with a language unless I can talk about my emotions and desires using it): How To Talk About Feelings In German

Edit: Oh and the answer to the first part is "Sehr gut, danke!" :)

Girls with Guns

Mad Scientist
I had to look up kaufen for "buy," couldn't remember that one - and wasn't sure of the gender for anime for using ein, lol. I would have never learned the latter in high school, because I didn't really know what anime was back then, even though I had watched Speed Racer and AstroBoy and such on TV way back in the 1960's.

Vincentdante

Mad Scientist
I've made many legit attempts at learning Japanese but my ADD basically stops me from being able to knuckle down and focus.

I have basically memorized Hiragana and I'm fairly decent at Katakana. I know a few Kanji and I'm learning new words all all the time still. Problem is it's so fragmented, and having very little practice in practical uses I couldn't really hold a conversation.

Last edited: