The Girl Who Leapt Through Time picks up another award

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (a.k.a Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo) recently won the Special Distinction prize at the <a href="http://www.annecy.org/home/index.php?Page_ID=2">31st Annecy International Animated Film Festival</a> (a prestigious French awards ceremony that celebrates the best in animated film).

Directed by Mamoru Hosoda and animated by Madhouse Studios, sci-fi drama "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time" has received praise the world over since debutting in the spring of 2006 but has yet to see release outside of it's country of origin.

Famously, Hosoda dropped out of directing Howl's Moving Castle (and was later replaced by Hayao Miyazaki) and clearly, immediately began work on this film instead. He made his name by directing the surprising well received Digimon movies: Digimon Adventure (1999) and Digimon Adventure: Children's War Game (2000) as well as the notably dark "One Piece Movie 6: Baron Omatsuri and the Secret Island" - therefore, he is marked out as a rising talent in Japan.

Has anyone seen the two Digimon movies mentioned above? I've seen One Piece Movie 6 and frankly it's an impressively emotional and self contained film (especially since shonen jump movies are usually rubbish) - and only now do I realize it was directed by Mamoru Hosoda (I was mainly watching it because the key animation was helmed by Norio Matsumoto). No doubt, he is a name worth remembering.

I know I've seen Our War Game/Children's War Game, since it's the second section of the dubbed Digimon movie, I've seen the six One Piece movie too, your blog made me expect a much more interesting way the Mugiwara's "die", but I was dissapointed. </3
Still a good movie though.

Paul said:
Famously, Hosoda dropped out of directing Howl's Moving Castle (and was later replaced by Hayao Miyazaki) and clearly, immediately began work on this film instead.

I never knew that actually! It's weird to think what the discussion would be at the boardroom in such a situation.

"Hosoda's dropped out, sir."
"Dammit! Who are we gonna get now? We're all out of options."
"Well, we could get Miyazaki."

"...Miyazaki?"

I don't care what anyone says, those 2 digimon movies were awesome. I'm not 100% sure about this movie though, I attempted to watch it awhile back on fansubs but got bored after about half an hour, but I suppose I'll give it another go out of respect for the director. Hopefully it will get licensed soon (if it isn't allready that is).

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go off and watch my VHS of Digimon The Movie (I saw it in the cinema aswell, ah those were the days :D)

Okay, I just watched movie 1 (it's only 20 minutes long, subtitled) and well, I loved it. I've never seen Digimon before - but this was just a wonderful short film. Going to write more about it soon. It has a very Ghibli esque sense of imagination.

Digimon really is underrated, people just brush it off as a stupid Pokemon type kids show when it really is suprisingly good, Season 3 aka "Tamers" is one of the best shows of its genre, after all it was written by Chiaki Konaka of 'Serial Experiment's Lain' fame.

Hmm...after looking at Paul's topic on the Images board, I guess I was thinking of the wrong movie.

What was the one that got dubbed for us? Supposedly it was 2 films combined or something, but either way it kinda sucked.

I've seen One Piece Movie 6 and thought it was really impressive and definitely was far more darker than the series(and other movies i've seen). I am sure i have seen one of the Digimon movies as well..back in the day i watched it, and thought it was good too.

I watched The Girl Who Lept Through Time yesterday, I highly recommend as many people as possible find it and watch it.

I liked how Makoto used her powers to make her day better but in turn that created problems (some serious) for other people. Just goes to show that messing about with the fabric of space and time isn't usually a good thing :lol:

Necromancer said:
I watched The Girl Who Lept Through Time yesterday, I highly recommend as many people as possible find it and watch it.

I liked how Makoto used her powers to make her day better but in turn that created problems (some serious) for other people. Just goes to show that messing about with the fabric of space and time isn't usually a good thing :lol:

Watched it today (based on the comments on the site) And was very impressed in all. A very fun film, but perhaps not as long as it needed to be to get everything in (Then again, i think 9 out of every 10 films/anime films are too short) a few minor dislikes, but a very pleasant surprise in all, especailly a nice strong female character in Makoto :)

Back