The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

Not exactly the same thing, but I bought my Newphew and Niece a few DVDs such as Bakugan, Digimon and Yu-Gi-Oh! and they came with cards or something and they loved them more than the DVDs lol So, I imagine they'd love Beyblades as much as, if not more than Minecraft lol

animefreak17 said:
It will bomb...... I mean come on.... a movie about spinning tops..... doesn't sound very mediocre to me

Didn't you just buy the entire series of Bayblade. If you're willing to watch 10+ hours of spinning top action, I'm sure people would be willing to watch 2 hours of it :p

Yowanda-san said:
animefreak17 said:
It will bomb...... I mean come on.... a movie about spinning tops..... doesn't sound very mediocre to me
Well, they managed to produce over 100 30 minute episodes about battling spinning tops, so I'm sure they'll manage to knock out a 1hr 30 movie just fine.

Personally, I can't see Beyblade being any less appealing in 2017 than it was in 2002. I mean if an audience of children can be captivated by spinning tops then, I can't see it being any different now, the inherent appeal of watching them smack off each other remains unchanged and the random chance of victory over potential opponents remains a lucrative prospect not only to children but also by extension to adults who indulge in gambling or other such chance based games.

Children yes...... but to others.... I don't see it.....hell I'm watching beyblade now and to be honest I cant wait til I finish it and watch freezing.

Pokemon I'd understand
Yugioh .... which I play

But spinning tops that have no skills or anything like that but pure luck ..... I just thinking how the hell do they make Tue blades move the way they want them to in the show..... unless it's motcontrol

IncendiaryLemon said:
animefreak17 said:

Didn't you just buy the entire series of Bayblade. If you're willing to watch 10+ hours of spinning top action, I'm sure people would be willing to watch 2 hours of it :p

No just the first season which is 51 episodes.

Can't wait til I finish it

Bayblade was absolutely brilliant on the down low. People thought it was stupid, but it was actually way cooler than Pokemon, Digimon and Yugioh combined. It had Jewish kids pimping out their dreidels in those times.

The fact that it made no sense how the characters controlled their bayblades only added to the mystique.

vashdaman said:
Bayblade was absolutely brilliant on the down low. People thought it was stupid, but it was actually way cooler than Pokemon, Digimon and Yugioh combined. It had Jewish kids pimping out their dreidels in those times.

The fact that it made no sense how the characters controlled their bayblades only added to the mystique.

Didn't they control them using stands (for lack of a better term :p) that came out of the tops or something? I haven't seen Beyblade I was like 8 so I could be completly wrong. The only thing I remember is the theme.

Oh god, my nostalgia.

Last edited by a moderator:
vashdaman said:

And if I am not mistaken the characters got actual character development and grew up through the series.

IncendiaryLemon said:
msgeek said:
I'm probably rubbish at spotting problems but I didn't see anything wrong when I watched gatchaman. Minor annoyance on the disks was there was no "disk 1" / "disk 2" which kind of leaves it up to the will of the blu-ray disk ordering gods as to which disk you insert. But even there I could be wrong and the numbers may actually be on there and I'm just being blind.

This is one of my biggest peeves with boxsets and it's something so small. For example, when I bought my Trigun set used, all the discs weren't labeled and the previous owner managed to have the disks in the wrong order, so I had to go through and re order them. Very small but quite annoying.
There was a fad back in the single DVD volume days of giving the volumes names rather than numbers. The only way to tell the order was the scan the back for episodes numbers or squint at the SKUs.

Shiroi Hane said:
IncendiaryLemon said:
msgeek said:
I'm probably rubbish at spotting problems but I didn't see anything wrong when I watched gatchaman. Minor annoyance on the disks was there was no "disk 1" / "disk 2" which kind of leaves it up to the will of the blu-ray disk ordering gods as to which disk you insert. But even there I could be wrong and the numbers may actually be on there and I'm just being blind.

This is one of my biggest peeves with boxsets and it's something so small. For example, when I bought my Trigun set used, all the discs weren't labeled and the previous owner managed to have the disks in the wrong order, so I had to go through and re order them. Very small but quite annoying.
There was a fad back in the single DVD volume days of giving the volumes names rather than numbers. The only way to tell the order was the scan the back for episodes numbers or squint at the SKUs.

Ah; I remember those days well... majority of early MVM releases (such as Trigun, Desert Punk etc) also had a similar approach.

Emo185 said:
Ah; I remember those days well... majority of early MVM releases (such as Trigun, Desert Punk etc) also had a similar approach.

I recall some ADV titls did it too, aswell as some Manga (the books not the company) releases, quite the annoying fad

Rosencrantz said:
Emo185 said:

I recall some ADV titls did it too, aswell as some Manga (the books not the company) releases, quite the annoying fad
As well as Pioneer/Geneon, Anime Works (Media Blasters), TRSI (now known as Nozomi Entertainment), FuniMation, US Manga Corps (Central Park Media) and Viz.

Those UK releases that were named instead of numbered would have taken that from their US variant, but that vanished once releases went to complete collections.

I don't think it's something that's relegated to the past. Doesn't monogatari second season lack numbering / logical ordering??? Can't see anything obvious on the boxes. For someone new to the series it's more complicated than it should be to work out what order to watch in. Even more so when you take into account no clear differentiation between the second season BD's and Bake / Nise / Black...

Again there could be some obvious think I'm missing on them, I even had to put together a spreadsheet when I ordered to try and work out what went where and I couldn't even find a clear single web source and had to cross reference a lot.

msgeek said:
I don't think it's something that's relegated to the past. Doesn't monogatari second season lack numbering / logical ordering??? Can't see anything obvious on the boxes. For someone new to the series it's more complicated than it should be to work out what order to watch in. Even more so when you take into account no clear differentiation between the second season BD's and Bake / Nise / Black...

Again there could be some obvious think I'm missing on them, I even had to put together a spreadsheet when I ordered to try and work out what went where and I couldn't even find a clear single web source and had to cross reference a lot.

I used this personally

http://www.reddit.com/r/araragi/comment ... d_version/

IncendiaryLemon said:
msgeek said:

I used this personally

http://www.reddit.com/r/araragi/comment ... d_version/

Would have been useful at the time, but even there black/white aren't as per the MVM names. Even the MVM shop intermittently labelled some stuff 3rd arc 4th arc etc and missed that out on others.

the streaming website I watched it on had the whole second season as one show That said, I do now now the order off the top of my head or by the pics on the front of the boxes when I do buy them. Also kuro means black and shiro means white.

Yowanda-san said:
animefreak17 said:
Well, they managed to produce over 100 30 minute episodes about battling spinning tops, so I'm sure they'll manage to knock out a 1hr 30 movie just fine.

Personally, I can't see Beyblade being any less appealing in 2017 than it was in 2002. I mean if an audience of children can be captivated by spinning tops then, I can't see it being any different now, the inherent appeal of watching them smack off each other remains unchanged and the random chance of victory over potential opponents remains a lucrative prospect not only to children but also by extension to adults who indulge in gambling or other such chance based games.
Yup, Beyblade is just a fundamentally well designed activity. It's a modernization of conkers or marbles, it might fall out of favor for superficial reasons but as long as that hasn't completely happened there's no reason to doubt its appeal.

As soon as random injury news articles appear about them, their popularity will skyrocket among the target audience due to the perceived danger factor.

I can just imagine the "beyblade pushers" now...
"hey look what I got here... beyblades... they're awesome... some kid was blinded and nearly died... wanna get some before they're banned?"

If the movie is timed correctly with toy releases it'll likely do well, regardless of it's quality.

Back