The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

There's no value in Tokypop coming back now - the other manga publishers have got pretty much every base covered. Tokyopop, from what I've gathered, created their own downfall by focusing on Original English Language manga,(I hate that term and the whole concept) under the false impression that it would sell.

The only thing I'd be interested in would be a re-release and continuation of the Rozen Maiden manga, which they put out back in the day.

Lutga said:
There's no value in Tokypop coming back now - the other manga publishers have got pretty much every base covered. Tokyopop, from what I've gathered, created their own downfall by focusing on Original English Language manga,(I hate that term and the whole concept) under the false impression that it would sell.

The only thing I'd be interested in would be a re-release and continuation of the Rozen Maiden manga, which they put out back in the day.

Forgive my ignorance, but isn't that just a comic book, what's with the pretentious title?

Buzz201 said:
Lutga said:

Forgive my ignorance, but isn't that just a comic book, what's with the pretentious title?

I haven't seen specifically the TokyoPop Original Manga, but I did see some cringe inducing attempt at turning some Shakespeare plays into a Manga and I think it's down to trying to mimic art style from Manga. Obviously there isn't just a single Manga art style, but there is obvious differences in art between American comic books and Manga.

Buzz201 said:
Lutga said:

Well it was still right to left iirc. It tanked Tokyopop because the Japanese publishers started regarding them as competitors rather than collaborator for US releases of their products.

sniper_samurai said:
Well it was still right to left iirc. It tanked Tokyopop because the Japanese publishers started regarding them as competitors rather than collaborator for US releases of their products.

That seems dumb, one of the more common complaints about manga is the right to left reading style. I would have thought from a business perspective it would have made more sense to ask for left to right, then you could try and pitch it to the more general comic book fans, and probably make more money in the process.

Didn't Tokyopop just start to lose all their big titles to VIZ and other companies? So they had little choice other than to try a different direction. Not that they chose a good direction, but I think making out that they were entirely and 100% at fault in their own collapse is leaving out some key circumstances.

Them hovering up licences is a potential threat to Region Parity so if they could stay gone that'd be preferred.

Stu Levy (Almost said Shuki Levi like a twit) being a bit of a dipstick doesn't help their case in not being resigned to history much ether.

Lutga said:

I don't think it was the OEL stuff per se, as Tokyopop were famous for not paying creators and translators very much so it didn't really cost that much. I did hear the owner of TP was extremely unfocussed, like he wanted to do a bit of everything but never followed through before getting distracted by the next thing.

Kadokawa deciding they wanted to set up their own US branch certainly didn't help as they lost a lot of their big current and future titles. Some of the Korean Manwha was good but a lot of it was just TP flooding the market hoping something stuck.

I 100% see why CR Is up in arms, the last thing anyone wants to see is TP grabbing a few good licences and then getting bored/going out of business a few volumes in.

Latest BBFC ratings update:

Magi: The Kingdom of Magic (Part 1)
Rated: 15 - [Episodes 1,8,9 (15)] strong sex references [Episodes 2,3 (12)] moderate sex references [Episodes 4 (12)] moderate violence, threat [Episodes 5,6,7,12,13 (12)] moderate violence [Episodes 10 (15)] strong bloody violence [Episodes 11 (12)] moderate threat

Amnesia has also been rated but not all of it has been sorted, currently 12.

Tokyopop, the OGs that brought manga to the west (did anyone do it before them?). Bring them back I say, and bring back the early noughties in general.

vashdaman said:
Tokyopop, the OGs that brought manga to the west (did anyone do it before them?). Bring them back I say, and bring back the early noughties in general.
Viz have been releasing manga since 1987, 10 years before Tokyopop. Marvel also released a horrible coloration of Akira before them. Dark Horse released Ghost in the Shell in back in 1995.

sniper_samurai said:
vashdaman said:
Viz have been releasing manga since 1987, 10 years before Tokyopop. Marvel also released a horrible coloration of Akira before them. Dark Horse released Ghost in the Shell in back in 1995.

All true, but Tokyopop did help bring manga to the mainstream by releasing most of their releases in an unaltered (Everything but dialogue was changed) format and distributing in book-stores instead of comic book shops, so yes; they did help out in a way.

Mangaranga said:
Universal Pictures enters an agreement to distribute Funi's DVD and Blu-ray releases.
I wonder whether this is business as usual or whether we'll start to see Funi given preferential treatment when it comes to NBC shows.
Hopefully it'll allow them to move people around and focus on other things since there seems to have been a bit of a quality lapse in their "Broadcast" dubs and subtitling recently.

What does this mean for Manga? Manga Entertainment refuse to jump through the hoops to release Geneon Universal discs in the UK (Hence Railgun through Animatsu), Manga apparently have first refusal on Funimation titles. Funimation no distributing through Universal...

Manga's head is going to implode through the paradox.

I wonder if this is linked to the issues causing Eva 3.33's endless delays? Or perhaps even this happened as a direct result of trying to finally solve those issues?

Lutga said:
I wonder if this is linked to the issues causing Eva 3.33's endless delays? Or perhaps even this happened as a direct result of trying to finally solve those issues?

Evangelion: 3.33 is a strange one. Universal have no connection to Eva thankfully.

I hope Funimation announces a release date at Anime Expo next week [July 2nd-5th] (and add it to the November 2015 line-up). The last update we had were Jerome saying the English dub is 'nearly done'.

Hmm, Universal usually release all of their blu-rays without region locking, would be weird if they started locking the titles they distribute for Funimation. Could end up good for importers.

Back