The Q & A Thread (for questions that do not need a thread)

Is there a good place to buy classic anime posters? I quite like the look of the original posters for the Mobile Suit Gundam trilogy and fancy having them framed and on a wall

Mwah-hahaha! My poster sources will need to remain confidential until I've snagged everything I want to get, as most posters I source are one and gone... But, I will say, I did a quick check, and any posters for the Gundam Movie Trilogy are long sold out, so eBay sellers are probably the only source to find one if it pops up, and I'm sure they would be very salty in price.

The highest price I've paid for a Japanese B2 Poster is the Garden of Words poster I got from eBay at the very start of my poster collecting, before I knew what I was really doing - that one was about ¥13000 including shipping from Japan. The posters I am buying in bulk orders range between ¥600 and ¥6000, and I've calculated my average cost per poster so far for the 140+ posters I have bought is about ¥1800 including shipping. The international shipping is what hurts the most - my last order of 28 posters cost me ¥9600 just for shipping, so that is why I order so many posters at a time, to spread out the shipping costs. it's not really cost effective to pay EMS, DHL, or Fedex shipping from Japan, especially right now, for just one or two posters.

Question from me: can someone help me translate this webpage please?

The reason I ask is because I won a competition being held as part of CLAMP Day, but the website is obviously all in Japanese and I need help understanding it. (e.g. 氏名フリガナ comes up as "Name furigana" and I don't know what "furigana" means. Someone on Twitter said it is a Kanji reading aid?)

Furigana - Wikipedia
Furigana is most often written in hiragana, though in certain cases it may be written in katakana, Roman alphabet letters or in other, simpler kanji.

Japanese names are usually written in kanji. Because there are many possible readings for kanji names, including special name-only readings called nanori, furigana are often used to give the readings of names. On Japanese official forms, where the name is to be written, there is always an adjacent column for the name to be written in furigana.

Furigana may also be used for foreign names written in kanji. Chinese and Korean names are the most common examples: Chinese names are usually pronounced with Japanese readings and the pronunciation written in hiragana, while Korean names are usually pronounced with Korean readings and the pronunciation written in katakana.

tl;dr: Ask someone to convert your name to Hiragana or Kana

To complete the form you need:

Twitter account name
Your winning pass code
Your name (2 sets of surname/forename boxes). Unless you secretly have a Japanese name, you will probably complete both identically in katakana i.e. Wolf Ian (I don't know your real name :D) - the furigana verbiage is only relevant for non-foreigners. It will accept katakana in the form.
Occupation (05 is company worker, 06 is for self-employed, 08 is other)
Japanese postal address
Phone number
Email (entered twice)
Message of support to the CLAMP products team

R

Watching Telly earlier and an advert for Virgin Media (or whatever they are calling themselves these days) promoting some new product, one clip it goes to an anime style lady on a train. Is that from a series or just made for that advert?

Attachments

• PXL_20220517_182019476.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220517_182019476.MP.jpg
    493.9 KB · Views: 21
Anyone in Europe have experience with ordering manga from Amazon US? - I want two volumes, but I’m unsure if they’ll arrive in good condition, and what they’ll ship them in. None of the European Amazon sites have them in stock, they use cardboard boxes, whereas Amazon US uses bubble mailers (at least when ordering blu-rays).
Not ordered manga but whenever I’ve got anime from Amazon US they’ve always come in those plastic bubble mailer, although never been damaged for me.

Well there are book stores in Europe aside from Amazon. Are you looking for anything in particular? Or perhaps we could just recommend alternative UK bookstores for you to search for it there.

I thought Zavvi only ships one item per package, at least I read somewhere that has always been their SOP... I don't know for sure, as I've only ever ordered one item at any time from Zavvi.

I just finished The World's Finest Assassin Reincarnated.
Enjoyed it.
It generally passed my main two end of episode tests

1. Do I want to watch the next episode now
2. Do I say 'Is that episode finished already'

As much I would like a 2nd season,
Does anyone else actually want a prequel? Or is it just me?
That character was great.

Same here, it’s either the white/blue bubble mailer or the brown recycled one. I’ve had multiple blu-rays arrive with a lot of damage, but I can replace those covers, can‘t do that with manga 😅 I’ll give it a bit more time to see if any of the European Amazons get stock…
Update… I had 2 items (book and blu ray) came from Amazon US today and they came in a box. So I think if you are getting more than 1 item and make sure they are shipped together, then I see no reason why they wouldn’t use a box instead of a plastic bubble mailer.

Fair warning I once got 4 collectors editions blu rays and they came in a single bubble mailer and a couple of them had damage.

there's an anime i see pop up on twitter from time to time with sorta 4th wall breaking jokes in it about it being a series that's too long and if the manga takes anymore breaks the anime will eventually catch up and over take it, anyone got any idea what i'm talking about

Back