The sports-other-than-football thread!

Another good day for team GB with Mo taking another brilliant gold and we won a gold in the boxing too. I hope Anthony Joshua can do the same too tomorrow in the super heavyweight final, though he's already done very well getting to the final. He's from just down the road from me.

Mo Farah take a bow, that was brilliant. Great to see Luke Campbell get gold and Tom Daley get bronze as well. Unfortunately I overslept and totally missed Ed McKeever get gold this morning. I'm really looking forward to the closing ceremony tomorrow, hoping it'll be as spectacular as the opening!

Gold number 29 for GB - Anthony Joshua won in the super-heavyweight boxing final. The scores were level after 3 rounds but Joshua won on a countback with the Italians' appeal being rejected.

Ath said:
Mo Farah take a bow, that was brilliant. Great to see Luke Campbell get gold and Tom Daley get bronze as well. Unfortunately I overslept and totally missed Ed McKeever get gold this morning. I'm really looking forward to the closing ceremony tomorrow, hoping it'll be as spectacular as the opening!
I was pretty annoyed by the Chinese after the diving. Tom Daley and the American guy were really happy with their medals but the Chinese just cried like someone had died.

The Chinese athletes get really emotional. When I was watching the modern pentathlon fencing discipline all you could hear was the screams of the Chinese athletes when they wona point. I'm talking proper screaming - like they're giving birth or something. Crazy women.

Throughly enjoyed the Olympics. It was the emotional state of some of them that was the most rewarding part - you could see just how much it meant to some of them.

Also I now have a taste for hockey. Especially if the Netherland's women team are playing

I also enjoyed the Olympics. I got to talk to some of the staff members for some of the team and I tried out my foreign language skills on tourists.

My highlights were the Murray/Federer final, Ennis and Farrah getting gold, Taekwondo, Judo, Women's Boxing, Badminton... pretty much all of it thanks to the fantastic service provided by the BBC.

No we've got to endure football season... bleugh. Back to films for me.

The Beeb's coverage was pretty much flawless. It was disappointing that the Basketball team didn't get more attention for producing one of the performances of the tournament to run Spain close, but with so many people winning golds I guess it was to be expected.

Wow. Andy Murray has finally got his first Grand Slam. What an amazing, breathtaking and dare I say EPIC match that was. I'm so glad I stayed up to watch it.

Re:

20thCenturyBoy said:
I think he might just get a grand slam within the next 12 months, my bet would be the US open.

Someone answer the phone because I called it.

Delighted for Murray, didn't stay up to watch it, but it sounds like it was another of his typical 'it's not over til it's over' displays. 2-0 up drops the next two and then wins the final set. Hopefully this'll become the first of many for him.

Currently watching the Twenty20 World Cup at the moment. Ireland are playing against Australia and the match is going pretty much the way you would expect.

Europe wins the Ryder Cup after USA throws the towel in - Tiger Woods in particular since they could have levelled it at 14 each. Europe would have retained it at 14 each but instead it was an outright win for Europe. For USA to lose when they were that far ahead is shocking (and normally it is USA who does well in singles with Europe leading after doubles so a role reversal going on there).

Wow, that was brilliant stuff. I don't really follow golf on a regular basis but I was on the edge of my seat for Kaymer's putt.

Who has been watching Wimbledon? Three days in and it's pretty amazing. Federer is out. Nadal is out. Tsonga is out. Slipping, sliding and spilts on the grass. It's really addictive to watch it has to be said.

Yeah... it kind of sucks when the best players go out, imo. Upsets here and there are fine, but watching Djoko or Murray likely have no challenge for the rest of the tournament is not really the way to go.

Back