The Visual Novel Thread

MaxonTreik said:
-Danielle- said:
Yes I'm fine with others ways of finding them :) How would you apply fan patches please?
I'm afraid I can't tell you that in this thread because fan patches have differing methods/steps for installing. You usually get instructions on how to install them though, so you should be fine. If you do have problems just PM me.

no worries and thank you :mrgreen:

Just wondering if anyone has played My Girlfriend is the President yet? and what do you think of it?

------------------

Started DearDrops (What I got back in the Manga Gamer sale... 4 months ago lol)

I'm only about 4-5 hours into it soo far so not much I can say... BGM is V.Good though :)

Professor Irony said:
Finally decided to give Fate / Stay Night another bash. Maybe I'll make it past the prologue this time...
To be honest, I went back to Fate/Stay Night a while back and it was hard to get through. I'm not sure if the writing is bad or the translation is bad, but a lot of the writing and dialogue makes me cringe. I gave up after a few hours. I can't blame you for not liking it.

I think Nasu's writing is so poor because there is so much waffle. There's so much nonsense about characters going about their daily lives. I couldn't care less about what Shirou is making for dinner or going to his part time job. This isn't as big a problem in Tsukihime, but it's still a problem.

From what I can remember, the waffle is exactly the problem I had last time around - my main recollection of the opening section was just walls of text about the archery club. I've managed to get through it a bit faster this time, but I'm just skimming a lot of the incidental scenes.

Professor Irony said:
From what I can remember, the waffle is exactly the problem I had last time around - my main recollection of the opening section was just walls of text about the archery club. I've managed to get through it a bit faster this time, but I'm just skimming a lot of the incidental scenes.
I'm the complete opposite - I kind of enjoyed some of the waffle and extra "development" into the story. I've played some games where the dialogue is TOO short - It's a Visual NOVEL, developers! Must be one of the reasons Fate/SN is one of my favourite VNs. That, and I love the theme of it.

If you don't like the extra whimsical dialogue, I think watching the animes or reading the light novels will make the series more likeable, if that's indeed the nurturing desire for the story. With ufotable's animation involved in the newer series, Fate/Zero and the newer Fate/SN series (UBW arc) looks/ed to be very snazzy. :)

It is a very long game, though.

It was actually after I'd watched an episode of the new UBW series that I thought it might be as well to go back and give the game another try - I've seen quite a few folk suggest you get more out of the story by going through the Fate route first. Given the general reputation of the 2006 series though, I think I'd rather try and do the VN than watch that one.

The choices near the start don't even matter (except for when you meet Ilya/Berserker). You're locked onto the Fate route on your first read no matter what you pick.

Since I had School Days HQ for quite a while I decided to start the game with a friend (since we want to go through it since we're mad).

Unfortunately I ended up with an error that quite a lot of people encounter during the installation. My installation got stuck at 10409MB.

I installled and uninstalled numerous times and the solutions online in forums were pretty much useless (because they're mainly for those who downloaded it online). So pretty much I gave up. I assumed the main reason for it was because I have Windows 8.1 since this game works for XP/Vista/7 though JAST USA informed the fans that the game is one of the few that work on Windows 8.

Then suddenly I found this site, and with that my solution was solved. Basically the game can be run even if the installation couldn't surpass 10409MB but at the cost of losing the Voice Acting. By coping the files from Disc 2 into the Packs folder (which where all of the installed content was located) I was able to 'install' the game and get it working.

Now I can experience School Days and it's nice boat experience.

NormanicGrav said:
Since I had School Days HQ for quite a while I decided to start the game with a friend (since we want to go through it since we're mad).

Unfortunately I ended up with an error that quite a lot of people encounter during the installation. My installation got stuck at 10409MB.

I installled and uninstalled numerous times and the solutions online in forums were pretty much useless (because they're mainly for those who downloaded it online). So pretty much I gave up. I assumed the main reason for it was because I have Windows 8.1 since this game works for XP/Vista/7 though JAST USA informed the fans that the game is one of the few that work on Windows 8.

Then suddenly I found this site, and with that my solution was solved. Basically the game can be run even if the installation couldn't surpass 10409MB but at the cost of losing the Voice Acting. By coping the files from Disc 2 into the Packs folder (which where all of the installed content was located) I was able to 'install' the game and get it working.

Now I can experience School Days and it's nice boat experience.
Doesn't Windows 8 have a compatibility feature like Windows 7?

MaxonTreik said:
Doesn't Windows 8 have a compatibility feature like Windows 7?

It does but I wanted to save it as a last resort. But it doesn't matter now as I managed to play the first three episodes without any issue.

fabricatedlunatic said:
NormanicGrav said:
Then suddenly I found this site, and with that my solution was solved. Basically the game can be run even if the installation couldn't surpass 10409MB but at the cost of losing the Voice Acting.
That shouldn't happen, unless it's a Windows 8 issue. I installed on my old laptop using that method and I didn't lose the voices. Did you install the patch?
I haven't installed the patch, I'm still at version 1.0. If it goes through smoothly until I get one of the endings then I'll install the patch, just in case something happens.

MaxonTreik said:
In case anyone's interested, the English patch for Fate/Hollow Ataraxia is finally out. Took them long enough.
Thanks, Max. :D Can finally enjoy the missing saga from my collection beside Fate/Extra.

Got a bit more Fate in today, touching the 8 hour mark. It still feels pretty expository, but I'm finding it more engaging now that the plot seems to have started.

Me & my flatmate continued our progress through School Days HQ just now. Last week we went through episodes 1 to 3 on a good note (Makoto avoided 2 H-scenes that could have potentially damage the situation and asked Kotonoha to give each other some space, allowing Sekai to step in without any problems) and we have finished another three episodes tonight (4 to 6). The results were, as to say, quite shocking:
- Episode 4 had Kotonoha still thinking she's in a relationship with Makoto. Technically they are but Makoto pretty much said they were over when the girls were asking if he was free. No H-scenes were shown in this episode, the choices that appeared were ignored in order to avoid a 'bad ending'. The episode ended with Makoto and Sekai pretty much liking each other...
- Episode 5 then started off with (you probably guessed it) a H-scene between Makoto and Sekai. Things got complicated when Kotonoha was told Makoto's girlfriend was Sekai and ended up witnessing them two together (to make matters even more complicated, it was a H-scene. Or rather a gif in a loop LOL). Another H-scene popped not long after but it was 'M' material.
- Episode 6 is where things get even worse. The main girls argued about who should get Makoto in the end. Kotonoha starts being a total bitch by forcing/seducing Makoto (we didn't pick Yes or No in the option because we couldn't decide on the current situation, it obviously went with the Yes choice by the looks of it) and getting Sekai all upset about it (even showing her a picture of what happened as 'evidence'). But what annoyed us the most was the final scene of the episode where Makoto, even though he doesn't want Kotonoha, decides to accept her (unwillingly by the look of it) during the train back home. The final episode is called 'Lust'. I don't like the sound of what's going to happen next.

Pretty much I wanted to balance the romance bar in order to avoid a bad ending, because if you focus on one person over the other it's obvious the ending wouldn't be a good one. So we went with Kotonoha at first, realised that the couple should give each other some space. We then agreed that Sekai was a better choice (along the way also trying to make sure that Kotonoha doesn't go towards the wrong path) but based on the forced events we have a bad situation outside of our hands.

Honestly though Makoto (based on what we went through in the Visual Novel version) isn't as bad as everyone says it out to be. For the high price I spent for this game, I'm enjoying it. Though I am still nervous about the final episode.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back