Tidying the forums

I know you're frustrated but to clarify, I consider the opinions of regulars such as JPT and britguy to be of equal value to those of someone who has strong opinions which disagree with them, even if the other person has spent more time presenting those ideas.

I'm not against change, but I think it has to be justified before charging ahead based on one person's ideas (especially when some of them make the forum less usable for people who browse in a different way to them). That's why I'm insisting on discussing changes out in the open rather than in PM; they affect everyone here. It's not me you need to convince. I have no interest in overmanaging a forum (or even in using an overmanaged forum as a regular poster) but if I'm the only person who thinks that, I'm happy to be overruled.

R

Rui said:
I know you're frustrated but to clarify, I consider the opinions of regulars such as JPT and britguy to be of equal value to those of someone who has strong opinions which disagree with them, even if the other person has spent more time presenting those ideas.

I'm not against change, but I think it has to be justified before charging ahead based on one person's ideas (especially when some of them make the forum less usable for people who browse in a different way to them). That's why I'm insisting on discussing changes out in the open rather than in PM; they affect everyone here. It's not me you need to convince. I have no interest in overmanaging a forum (or even in using an overmanaged forum as a regular poster) but if I'm the only person who thinks that, I'm happy to be overruled.

R

Regardless of the direction the forums go in now, I think the slower the pace of change the better. Just the one forum split at the moment appears to have reduced the post count in both Anime Industry and General Anime. I think it's worth letting people get used to the change and for posting to get back to normal levels before seeing what other changes are mandated.

st_owly said:
I like the new split as it is. A single industry forum seems like a better idea since the UK industry is so tied to the US in particular.

Agreed. Keep the US stuff in with the UK stuff. Easier to go between threads in one sub section. We also don't want the forum to get too clunky, keep it sleek and manageable.

I do believe the change should be done slowly, as to get people used to things. A big change right out could push some lurkers away.

I don't see the point of a forum where each member has a thread for pictures of their anime collection. I feel the thread we have at the moment (which hasn't seen activity for 6 weeks!) works perfectly well.

Dannielle said:
st_owly said:
I like the new split as it is. A single industry forum seems like a better idea since the UK industry is so tied to the US in particular.

Agreed. Keep the US stuff in with the UK stuff. Easier to go between threads in one sub section. We also don't want the forum to get too clunky, keep it sleek and manageable.

I do believe the change should be done slowly, as to get people used to things. A big change right out could push some lurkers away.
Another vote to keep the US/UK stuff together. Also can we have a thread listing competition winners somewhere. I don't think the winners of any of the recent competitions have been announced.

Seeing as we now have an industry forum, and we have threads for MVM and Manga UK, does anyone mind if I make a thread on Anime Limited. I was thinking something along the lines of this studio ghibli thread over at blu-ray.com with myself updating the OP with new releases, licenses etc and it can contain general ANime Limited release discussion?

Ghibli Thread in QUestion:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=170130

Go for it, I was hoping I could hijack one of Andrew's threads to give him the first post editing ability, but I think he's probably rather busy this month and if you're willing to look after the top post it will be great :D

Perhaps also add their website and social media links (and a link to Andrew's profile) so people looking for help contacting them know where to turn?

Thanks!

mangaman74 said:
Another vote to keep the US/UK stuff together. Also can we have a thread listing competition winners somewhere. I don't think the winners of any of the recent competitions have been announced.

Unfortunately I don't know who they are either ;_;

R

britguy said:
Seeing as we now have an industry forum, and we have threads for MVM and Manga UK, does anyone mind if I make a thread on Anime Limited. I was thinking something along the lines of this studio ghibli thread over at blu-ray.com with myself updating the OP with new releases, licenses etc and it can contain general ANime Limited release discussion?

Ghibli Thread in QUestion:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=170130

Since you mentioned it, I feel as though the Studio Ghibli thread I made months back might as well be in the Industry section (since I pretty much covered the upcoming Ghibli titles and those replacement slipcases on there, might help for future events [like Princess Kaguya]).

tl;dr

Is it worth having separate sub-forums for general anime and manga discussion? I get the impression that the manga sub-forum is dead these days and would maybe benefit with being merged with the anime sub-forum.

Also, why are news and industry separate sub-forums? Surely all anime/manga news is industry related?

MaxonTreik said:
tl;dr

Is it worth having separate sub-forums for general anime and manga discussion? I get the impression that the manga sub-forum is dead these days and would maybe benefit with being merged with the anime sub-forum.

Also, why are news and industry separate sub-forums? Surely all anime/manga news is industry related?

Aye, but not all industry discussion is news. One of the suggestions is to close the News forum to user posts (retaining the automatic posts which are linked to the site's front page) and have the user-created news threads in the industry area (or wherever they best belong). That might give manga news a boost too.

(Heck, it could be argued the massive jumbled news thread should be a forum-wide announcement, since most discussion seems to revolve around it <_<)

R

Still working on the Anime limited thread, was going to post it last night but got struck down with toothache and earache and couldn't be arsed to finish it as I was in too much pain :(

With regards to the "news that doesn't require a thread" thread, in my eyes it has become one big discussion thread about anything and everything which imo canabalises a lot of the other potential discussion in the news area and industry areas. I love the thread though, and it's probably the one I'm most active in, but that's because it is seemingly all encompassing.

britguy said:
Still working on the Anime limited thread, was going to post it last night but got struck down with toothache and earache and couldn't be arsed to finish it as I was in too much pain :(

With regards to the "news that doesn't require a thread" thread, in my eyes it has become one big discussion thread about anything and everything which imo canabalises a lot of the other potential discussion in the news area and industry areas. I love the thread though, and it's probably the one I'm most active in, but that's because it is seemingly all encompassing.

Ouch! Hang in there. I'm sure you've got plenty of time to post it anyway. :wink:

I think the News Thread should stay as well, I rather enjoy reading the discussions that occur there every now and then.

I for one would definitely appreciate a boost in the manga forum. My interest lies more in manga than anime, yet the posts there go very much unnoticed. I'd like to be able to have more discussion in there, if others were interested too :)

As to the changes, I just go with the flow. I like it on here so much that I would just adapt to keep using it. I agree with others that slowly may be best, so people can get their bearings.

I don't always contribute the most helpful things, but I really do love it here!

Since i'm catching up quickly. i'll pass on my two pennies, and see what i can do to help around. I'm more than willing to remove the character battles entirely if people see them as eye-sores. We've not done them in a long time, and considering how much of a mess they where previously, it might be best not to undertake it again, or at least to the extent we did previously. So considering that, and there isn't any reason to actually post in them now, why not delete them? Or do people have other attachments to them and would rather they stay?

General manga and anime could maybe work together, but my fear would be that all manga discussion could just end altogether. Granted, it's not exactly booming right now either, but i'm not entirely sure if that's because people don't read manga, or that they don't want to read the forum in case they touch on spoilers from scanlations when they only read the official english releases. If anything, i'd be more curious to see what we could do to maybe encourage people to discuss more on there. I'd like to discuss Gundam: The Origin for example, but would people join in?

Outwith that, i'm mostly ok with the general layout as it stands, but i think cleaning up some older segments may help.

Fantastic job on the Anime Limited thread, britguy. I think you've done them proud. I tweaked the name of the MVM thread so all three match properly now.

Since I've heard nobody in favour of keeping the two character battle threads on the front page, are there any objections to me turning them into subforums and stuffing them under Forum Games for now? I feel it would be a shame to destroy them both entirely after all of the passionate effort people put in, but getting them out of the way when nobody's posted there since 2012 (aside from one joke) would probably not have a major impact on anyone. We can always move them back in future if there's a sudden surge of interest.

R, who is behind on Gundam Origin but totally up for a discussion thread anyway (it might encourage me to bump it up my list)

Arbalest said:
General manga and anime could maybe work together, but my fear would be that all manga discussion could just end altogether. Granted, it's not exactly booming right now either, but i'm not entirely sure if that's because people don't read manga, or that they don't want to read the forum in case they touch on spoilers from scanlations when they only read the official english releases. If anything, i'd be more curious to see what we could do to maybe encourage people to discuss more on there. I'd like to discuss Gundam: The Origin for example, but would people join in?

Perhaps it would benefit from asking what people would like to see/discuss that would make it somewhere they would use in one of the more well-used forums?

Threads such as the one NormanicGrav made with upcoming artwork can create good discussion for instance, so I like things like that :)

Or maybe a manga news thread? There are always plenty of licenses and new series. I'm always happy to discuss series I am keeping up with and even ones I'd like to know more about.

Just ideas, not sure if they are of any use :oops:

Back