Tin Foil Haberdashery!

It's time for another haberdashery folks! and I'm thinking of something that will encourage more discussion; along with possible ways to revive a franchise, I'll also take a look at some that already exist, things I've been wondering about certain series, you know, classic crackpot theories! I'll be labelling these discussion based posts with Tin Hat Talks you could tell me if I'm clutching at straws to try and make my points, whether I'm bang on or completely wrong, or whether it's something to talk about until the cows come home.

what's the first of my talks? why it's Watamote! the... cheery, optimistic slice of life high school series featuring the always glass half full Tomoko Kuroki, in fact, I have watched Watamote in a single day to study the cheerful disposition of Tomo - chan, and whether it talks in any way to her sexuality

watching Watamote in a single sitting is ill advised. it is depressing, pure cringe and the humour is only consistently good to anyone whose obsessed with schadenfreude. during my own study, at episode 7 I verrbally shouted "I have 5 more episodes of this ****" at episode 9 I was annoyed with Tomoko and after episode 10 I believed the series was cursed and that I would die if I watched all the way to episode 12

this cautionary warning may sound funny, but watamote in all seriousness is a hard series to watch all at once

with all that said...
552512.jpg

Blame everyone else for the lack of attention you get and lets get this show down possibly the darkest road I've trecked

Tin Hat Talks: Is Tomoko gay?
I watched watamote right through with the dub with the idea that Tomoko is so awkward because she is so far in the closet she's fighting Aslon's battles, but making a list of things that could potentially shed light on her sexuality made her more awkward and confusing than I thought she was, there's so much clutching at straws to find stuff like that and a lot of stuff even in the last few episodes that mean nothing if you look into them. I'll put a bit more of a conclusion on this later but I have to say to study this with a narrow minded purpose left me more disappointed than Mr. Kuroki when he comes home to find that his daughter has fallen asleep playing otome games. that said, let's check a few points that may prove or debunk my theory

these points are in no particular order, and as mentioned before, a few of them are a real stretch to try and distinguish someone's sexuality

Appearance and self - presentation
watamote2-620x.jpg

Oh boy, where do we start here. I've forgotten the japanese word for it, but it roughly translates to "mourning woman" that is, long, unkempt hair, pale skin and a flat, featureless body much akin to that girl from The RIng that has the same appearance in the original japanese film and the hollywood remake, there are a tonne of these mourning women in japanese folklore and Tomoko looks like she fits the description, though it isn't exactly her fault she doesn't do a lot to remedy it, she doesn't cut her hair, she doesn't straighten her hair or dye it (even though jet black hair is pretty favourable in japan) she follows none of the trends of girls her age and you can tell she's a tomboy before looking her in the eyes, that is if you could with how bashful she is and her awkward facial expressions. she does think to herself how "cute" she thinks she is throughout the series, half of episode one is about changing her appearance but she quickly gives up on it, episode 6 has Tomoko lose the bags under her eyes, only due to her not bathing and becoming the greasiest thing on earth, but after giving up on a job in the red light district in episode 5 the end credits feature a reference to an anime that's too old for me to pin down, it has Tomoko in the role of a naked, featureless and somewhat gender-less character, perhaps showing that Tomoko has a profound lack of sexuality. appearance and presentation is first impressions on someone's sexuality, but leads to the least accurate assumptions on it. lets move on...

Reactions to other people and groups
watamote-02.png

this one gets really, really confusing, and it's one of the many reasons that I can not figure out if Tomoko is actually gay or not.
how people act with and around the opposite sex and the same sex is a bit of a gay test in itself, some people who are more comfortable with the same sex may be that way because they are comfortable with the sex they are attracted to, then again some boys are quite bashful of girls - male dominated hobbies, online spaces and the like are not inherently misogynist as they do not say anything about the interests or skill level of girls - some of those groups are just uncomfortable around girls, some gay people are uncomfortable around their own sex, possibly because they are pretty bashful, sometimes someone hangs around the same group because they are attracted to someone in that group. complicated? hipocratic? yea, that's not even Tomoko yet.
going in with a narrow mind to shout "AHA! you're gay Tomoko!" I found quite a bit to both support and debunk my theory, sometimes she'll think to herself "I talked to a hot guy" or "a hot guy talked to me!" she even has CDs of verbal abuse mainly from male actors, and even requests such from a male actor visiting her town. on her own, Tomoko's thoughts turn to references, manga, anime and video games, she becomes bashful when one or two people are with her and her thoughts turn more sour the bigger the group she's around. it's difficult to asses her reactions on an interpersonal level for much of the series as she often is too socially inept to talk to anyone outside her family. she often teases her brother that there is sexual tension between them (much to his annoyance) she lies about fake relationships to her cousin and the only people outside her family she talks to without stuttering are her middle school friend Yuu and the young boys that play a trading card game in which she is No.1 - the queen (though she's cheated in virtually every game against them) there are a few episodes where she interacts with no one for much of the run time though, choosing instead to watch tv, browse the internet and play video games - she even remarks that this makes her happy. a few time where she is around girls is that she seems to turn sour as soon as boys turn up, when Yuu is wearing a short skirt and thigh highs in front of Tomoko on an escalator Tomoko remarks "sexy" which is not noticed by anyone, she becomes obsessed with getting a hug from Yuu "not in a sexual way" in episode 11 and nearly grabs her butt, Tomoko also commits the image of seeing up a girl's skirt to memory and runs home crying after a gust of wind lifts a student's skirt in front of her. there is the episode where Tomoko wants to get molested on the train, but I shan't talk about it as the readers of The Haberdashery can do without dying on the inside.
this whole thing makes it seem like tomoko has three sexualities, and two of them would make more sense if she was bisexual, but some other things suggest she's asexual too, which just doesn't make much sense. and don't get me started on pansexual, personally I just think that's bisexuals trying to act like Kewl Kids

Fantasies & sense of reality
vzi4ab6a4qn7fjgmel7wrazbngmdzszh_hq.jpg

this is honestly, one of the scariest but also most fun topics in the whole series. I will start by saying some gay people don't accept their own sexuality, and become bitter people, and it also becomes such that these people have a poor sense of reality. in watamote reality left last week, letting in references that effect virtually everyone in the series, even if they don't know what Tomoko is referencing, she often sees herself as the protagonist but also compares her life to anime and manga, a tonne of her fantasies are "spot the reference" and some of the manga and bands in the show are real things, hell I'm pretty sure the band at the culture festival that actually happened are either from K -on! or Angel Beats. there are also a tonne of sexual fantasies, I won't go into detail, but many of them include men. one fantasy however, is ruined and turned into a yamcha death pose (I think she makes this reference twice...) her fantasies about working in a club in the red light district, however, has her surrounded by women, another when she's obsessed with Yuu's hugs involves her groping Yuu's chest, they are kind of all over the place, they are either outright references some of more popular series and others are just sexual fantasies, along with how she thinks of other people it's still pretty hard to pin down how Tomoko thinks, whether she's hiding something deeper than the situational problems, whether she's in touch with reality at all or whether anyone else is for that matter and it doesn't conclusively show her sexuality one way or the other.

conclusions
my conclusion on whether or not Tomoko is gay or not is a bit, inconclusive, sorry for that disappointment but there is so much to go through about human sexuality and that's before we even think of Tomoko, it's so much stuff that I do not have the tools or skills to properly navigate or describe in a safe and objective manner, which makes me glad that I'm making this like more of a discussion than my usual posts, the only conclusion could be, since the original watamote manga is based of it's authors high school experience, that the author could read this post and come up with "Tomoko is actually me and I'm gay" but it's very unlikely that would happen, so I turn to you, dear readers, to discuss some of these points:
do the points I brought up make tomoko gay?
is there any way to tell someone's true sexuality before they've accepted it themselves?
am I just clutching at any old straw throughout this post?
feel free to discuss anything else I've brought up too!

but wait cap'n! what's next for the haberdashery?
the next thing I'm going to do would probably be another Tin Hat Talk on the dark indie game, Fran Bow, and what connection it's symbolism could have to reality and it's own narrative, from a red - pill (realist) prospective, I could also list down my lofty goals to build a career if enough people ask

Door creek

It's looking a bit empty here lately and I've got the itching for some aluminium headgear, after recovering from the whole tomoko post I think it's time for another Haberdashery! don't know how to put polls in the middle here and I don't want to make another thread just on one, so I may have a couple of ideas, one that seems a bit late for Halloween though, if I had the time I would have defiantly released it on Halloween! so here's a couple of suggestions to Bold in reply:

another Tin Hat Talk: Fran Bow and Red Pill/Blue Pill school of thought on the game's reality (this would have been perfect for Halloween)

Art and Comics: where I am and where I would like to be (includes some ideas I've had for years)

I liked Claymore: the game! (looking for something for the usual format, suggestions welcome)

Tin Hat Ho Ho Ho!: A look into crazy Christmas games and anime (If it's started soon, I'll have more time to look up some stuff, posted some time in December)

rumours of my demise have been greatly exaggerated!
I've been wanting to post and if you've been wanting to read, get Boldin' the post you'd want to see, I shall write up the most popular idea. as of writing I've got a few days before being stuck in work for a while, so after this week it'll be hard to start them

well, I've gone about halfway through fran bow (the game itself) but I've yet to research the more general setting and what fevered mind it comes from, so that's coming up soooooon, not long after I can finish the game, that said, prepare for a much more laid back, festive haberdashery!

Tin Hat Ho Ho Ho!
It's that time of year where more than the christian faith becomes super excited for some reason, and already spoilt kids can't wait to be spoiled and everyone eats some ungodly concoction from the worst cook in the house - you know, the Christmas season!
in the spirit of the season I'm gonna look for anime which is focused around christmas, has christmas specials and in some cases are loosely based on Christmas (this is my Die Hard... actually I might be watching Die Hard Christmas day)

That said....
SentimentalDamagedGalapagossealion-size_restricted.gif

let the Padoru flow through you and let's get this sleigh on the snow!

K -on!
THP3d05SFhdRvLOKLs2gqUFz0THCvIe10gufubJGDV2XdWQOGjgCmk-Xv-oy3g6MGohrgDLPBqSi5mLTEgBmLoP6LFHhanEZYus6BFar84Em1FYFHNV3oaw3JACsC-ZwGNekrilTvK7kgzGo93mzfQ

not familiar with K - on! myself, but I thought it was a safe choice as many on the forums are. K - on! is a slice of life/high school series focused on the music club forming a band, it seems to have caught the hearts of many. episode 7 in particular focuses on christmas gifts and new years celebrations

Lucky Star
THP3d05SFhdRvLOKLs2gqUFz0THCvIe10gufubJGDV2XdWQOGjgCmk-Xv-oy3g6MoUozEtCZBNeeo34vwfBlYcSBXLB2Aw_ANNBf4KD58xSqCt7rU6_yDPHBA2TWb8cRCVtNMzALZo46CkwXCc7hwQ

Lucky Star is a slice of life comedy that follows a bunch of high school friends. it's been a while since I watched this one so I forget the eccentricities of much of the characters, but no one can forget the poster child otaku that is Izumi! I also liked the dumb "Lucky Channel" segment at the end of each episode that is supposed to look at something in the episode but goes off on it's own tangent. episode 11 focuses on christmas. Izumi more than likely got anime for christmas, like people on a certain forum I know...

The disappearance of Haruhi
THP3d05SFhdRvLOKLs2gqUFz0THCvIe10gufubJGDV2XdWQOGjgCmk-Xv-oy3g6MtyGLtCytY3TBup5RdqYEReqB-bEB1-gV0uU8EEfeON5Tes68fUMYUkC4u_1TsiPSEIGHSygPVmyEraaNKc4XOw

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is a much loved series for it's eccentricities (other than well, those few episodes stuck in a mobius loop)it follows Kyon, who meets a girl named Haruhi who wants to be surrounded by the supernatural and weird - time travellers, aliens, androids and espers (psychics) Kyon discovers that this eccentric girl IS surrounded by these sorts of people, and they are in Haruhi's SOS brigade school club! unfortunately, Kyon cannot tell Haruhi the truth as she is a god whose imagination creates anything kind of supernatural occurrence she can think of. The disappearance of Haruhi is a film based off the series that takes place around christmas time, something is off though, Nagato, usually an emotionless alien android, wears her heart on her sleeve and Haruhi is nowhere to be found!

Always My Santa!
BQM6jEZ-UJLgGUuvrNkYUHX4JofutsZW2FQNeac5cl4sL_Ai3eS5L457gxMu-Uc0_1Arz_SoW_-3BfMd4usD-w

a boy born on christmas eve, named Santa (yes his parents are terrible) never believes in ol' saint nick and hates that people celebrate christmas, one day a girl named Mai turns up and tries to change that, until she turns into some magigirl santa claus. it has 2 episodes and teases a third that never came out, but apparently the first 2 are terrible anyway, is it bad that I want this?

hope you've had some happy holidays!
(yea, I know I said part 2 here before, I'm lazy...)

but cap'n, what's next for the haberdashery?!
you should already know...
b8e5d7a2963e0c3599fb6fe7f801e0a2646467fc.jpg

yup, there's been a few theories thrown around after fran bow came out about it's plot and even it's themes, my own take on it will be a tin hat talk (that is, something I'd like more discussion on than the older format) with the matrix's Morpheus's type of philosophy, in particular summing up the thought of taking what you see normally/what your'e told as blue pill and the more investigative school of thought as red pill, I also plan to finish the tin foil talk off with a more red pill analysis of one of the characters mentioned prominently throughout the game, Itward.

of course, if there was demand for me to look at something in the format I started the haberdashery with I'd do it, and something covering my lofty, lofty goals inspired by comics, manga and anime.
that said, I need to finish fran bow to note what's in the actual game

and with that, sirs and ma'ams, cap'n out!

Last edited:
So I haven’t done anything on this thread in nearly a year... reason being that dang fran bow idea, i was being way too over analytical playing the game and just like the watamote post here, I’d feel like I got everything wrong. Knowing I wouldn’t finish that, I kind of ran out of ideas for the longest time, do I have any ideas this time? Why...

boooooooooom!!!!

I think kenny here does a brilliant job of covering a little known series called the laughing salesman which is also why I watched the “new” series released about 2 years back, and man is don’t the OP there catchy as heck, so I’m thinking I’ll cover it myself and do my own research into it

what I plan to do is, of course, show whatever the laughing salesman is meant to be, as a series and a character, though it’s actually fairly simple, cover anything interesting I’ve been able to find and give my own take on why the new series never really got the salesman himself back off the ground (I’m probably gonna blame the internet a lot there)

I don’t think the research will take me a massively long time (I’ve already watched the 12 episode series that aired in 2017) so I’m aiming for it to be done within the next few weeks, I’d be much happier if I could have it done sometime by next weekend

Back