UK boxset for Stand Alone Complex

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
<a href="http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=R2&title=741567&p=57&g=72&pa=sr">A new listing</a> on Play.com has confirmed Manga Ent. UK's plans to release a box set for Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 1st GIG. This 6 disc collection (there are seven single DVD volumes) will cost £39.99 (£31.99 at Play.com) and is due for release in the UK on the 14th of November.

Also, according to <a href="http://www.animenewsservice.com/">Anime News Service</a>, Production I.G. have hinted that more Stand Alone Complex is in the works, though whether this is a third TV series, OVA or movie is currently unknown.

Paul said:
Also, according to <a href="http://www.animenewsservice.com/">Anime News Service</a>, Production I.G. have hinted that more Stand Alone Complex is in the works, though whether this is a third TV series, OVA or movie is currently unknown.
YES! That put a huge smile on my face. :D

The price alone makes this worth selling all the SAC DVD's i've bought so far and buying this, great news, as is the news of a possible third outing. Although Manga Ent don't really have any more series like SAC, I wonder if other UK companies will start to release similar boxsets for newer series, if this is a success.

While I'll probably just pick up the last two discs and be done with it as I have found the series a bit average at times, its certainly good that a box set release is making it to the UK, and hopefully the start of a pattern.

I'm a bit dissapointed really, all the single dvd's had an extra bonusdisc, and this seems to only have the main disc, i hope the boxset will be Tsukihime/Paranoia standard though and if it turns out that those extra disks arent really anything special them i'm definately going to get this, i've been waiting for the boxset for ages (and not bought the single dvd's i cant wait!) but the main thing is the box im thinking of and i hope its not like one of ADV cheap plastics things that cant even be called box sets! lol

So to totally forger everything i said on the first line, i'm really looking forward to this, but i hope it will be good in the ways i said above lol

:p

The only thing on the 2nd discs are the English and Japanese DTS soundtrack for people who have DTS sound systems and a 10 question quiz that lets you see half of an ep that's on the next Vol. There isn't really any need for the 2nd discs in the boxset.

^ Well, unless you've got a DTS setup.

If I'd known about this earlier, I wouldn't have bothered buying the first 3 volumes. GitS!

/bad pun

Anyway, I'll probably wait for this one now, assuming it doesn't get pushed back to next year or something. That, and I hope that they've finally sorted out all the dodgy problems surrounding the single disc releases. If not, then I'll probably stick with the standard releases. The mini-posters are a nice extra. :mrgreen:

I'll wait until it gets reviewed before deciding whether it's worth it. If there's another extra's disc though, that might be a nice bonus as well. Although IIRC, the series is getting released on 7 Discs anyway isn't it? The US release had 7 Discs in the series.

subedii said:
Anyway, I'll probably wait for this one now, assuming it doesn't get pushed back to next year or something. That, and I hope that they've finally sorted out all the dodgy problems surrounding the single disc releases. If not, then I'll probably stick with the standard releases. The mini-posters are a nice extra. :mrgreen:

I'll wait until it gets reviewed before deciding whether it's worth it.
Ditto, I actually started selling my region 2 DVDs to a friend and bought the first volume region 1. If they sort out the subtitle sync problems on this release then I might just buy this set.

WTFDaveMustaine said:
Ditto, I actually started selling my region 2 DVDs to a friend and bought the first volume region 1. If they sort out the subtitle sync problems on this release then I might just buy this set.

Didn't the region 1 release have lots of problems as well? From what I heard on the AoDVD forums, it had more problems than the UK release. Although I don't know if those have been sorted out by now.

subedii said:
WTFDaveMustaine said:

Didn't the region 1 release have lots of problems as well? From what I heard on the AoDVD forums, it had more problems than the UK release. Although I don't know if those have been sorted out by now.
As far as I can tell there are no problems with it. At least the subtitles are in sync and you can put the sign translations on seperately without having to display the full subtitle track.

Is this not a pricing mistake? All 26 episodes of SAC 1st Gig for 40 quid in the high street, not to mention Play knocking 8 quid off it! Usually that would be the price of two or three volumes, not all seven!

The Kenshin OVA Boxset is 50 quid (40 on play), and this seems just too good to be true. Especially for a high profile series in the Ghost In the Shell franchise, which normally sells well anyway in individual volumes. I would have expected a Boxset like this to go for around 69.99 or 79.99, or something.

Oh well, I'll still get it, but I'll have to sell Vol's 1+2 that I've already got.

When I saw them selling the first two single discs cheap in HMV I had the feeling the box set was going to be out soon. Unless you’re really impatient you can waste a lot of money buying the discs singly, i always wait for the box in any anime show. I mean on average each SAC disc is about £15 that’s nearly £100 for the set singly and Play are selling the box for less then half that, i'm all for box sets.

Back