What book are you currently reading?

skikes

Stand User
What book are you currently reading?

I've literally just started 'The Vampire Lestat' after Finishing 'Interview with the vampire' last night which was awesome. My friend got me the vampire chronicles box set for my birthday so still have quite afew more to get through.

Can't really comment on The vampire lestat as im only on the first few pages but if Interview is anything to go by it should be really gripping.

Although as long as is it has non-sparkling vampires in it i'm sure to love it as i'm obsessed with all things vampires but hating the current trend caused by twilight. So i'm turning to the oldies

Dune

It's a great book, but a bit of a heavy read at times. It really does lay things out and then expect you to come back and realise things later. If you're into stuff like the Dragonriders of Pern then it's definitely worth a read.

Will-O'-The-Wisp said:
I'm not actually in the middle of a book at the moment, but I'm tempted to read the I Am Legend book, it sounds great

It does actually, i've only read afew reviews and articles on it but it does sound like a very good read.

As for dune, i'm not firmilar. i'll have to give it a quick google lol

At the moment i'm reading Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami. After that i plan to go back the the H.P Lovecraft stuff, got a nice new Necronomicon to read :)

skikes said:
Will-O'-The-Wisp said:
I'm not actually in the middle of a book at the moment, but I'm tempted to read the I Am Legend book, it sounds great

It does actually, i've only read afew reviews and articles on it but it does sound like a very good read.

As for dune, i'm not firmilar. i'll have to give it a quick google lol

Dune is...well...it's a sci fi "Hero's Journey" set on a desert planet that is one of the resource powerhouses of a feudal styled stellar empire. At the same time it is tremendously epic...and very personal. There's love, politics, murder, war, death, life, prophecy, fate....it's bit like a VERY heavyweight version of Star Wars.

Hah, beat me to the punch i will say, was thinking about starting this topic a while ago(sleep deprivation stopped me).
At present i'm about to finish Halo: Ghosts of Onyx, which i found to be a very enjoyable read again. It could be the author, i dunno, but he seems to do a good job at describing everything and everything about the events going on. Also it could be because he did Fall of Reach and First Strike that he was able to work with the characters he had so easily(as they were present in the others too). I wouldn't mind him continuing on after this one as well, but i don't know where too as of yet. Oh and for those interested, MasterChief is only in 1 chapter fully, and only gets small mentions here and there afterwards.

I finished not to long back Moribito: Guardian of the Darkness and much like its predicesor, guardian of the spirit, it was very good to read. For those who watched the series, they'd probably catch a few things in it which where in the anime, but the majority of the content is focuses on the events after. It was good at wrapping up the mysteries of Balsa's past and how life went on back in Kanbal after she had to leave with Jiguro, it also again touches on the mythical/fantasy side of things much like spirit did and was done very well again. The way in which the fantasy/mythical side of things has been blended into the story is very nice i will say, and i personally wouldn't mind learning more on it too. I want to see when the next one comes out, and what it covers. I know there is the tabibito section of it to start at some point, but i don't think thats until the fourth novel.

I'm currently reading Lord of Snow and Shadows. A Fantasy book from our very own Sarah Ash, which is very gripping. It has a few cliches in it, such as the reluctant hero and the damsel in distress, but the pictures of the world she created are trully beautiful.

skikes - everything anne rice wrote before she converted to christianism is great. Go for it!

black - Murakami and lovercraft.... love both =)

mrChom - Dune. I've seen the movie and decided I don't wanna read the book. Your comment about it being a very heavyweight version of star wars got me slightly interested, though. but I have a coupel things to read first

chaos said:
skikes - everything anne rice wrote before she converted to christianism is great. Go for it!

i know i cant help but feel like it takes something away from the books now that i know she's bat **** crazy.

skikes said:
chaos said:

i know i cant help but feel like it takes something away from the books now that i know she's bat **** crazy.
well, batshit crazy people are usually good fun, when they are not a pain, that is.. ;)

chaos said:
black - Murakami and lovercraft.... love both =)

You have good taste there then ;) i'm now intrested in looking at Murakami's other works, any recommendations? Its thanks to Sy though that i'm reading this one :p

chaos said:
mrChom - Dune. I've seen the movie and decided I don't wanna read the book. Your comment about it being a very heavyweight version of star wars got me slightly interested, though. but I have a coupel things to read first

The movie is WEIRD....at times wholly faithful, and at other times just...well...

The Weirding Way (a martial art taught only to a certain female sect) became "Weirding modules" that allowed you to make things explode by SHOUTING at them. The whole movie prologue is weird too, None of that exists in the book (Where it starts with Paul on Caladan).

The one good thing is that at least you saw the movie and not the miniseries...which...just....AUGH....THE PAIN OF RECOLLECTION....

BlackWolf said:
You have good taste there then ;) i'm now intrested in looking at Murakami's other works, any recommendations? Its thanks to Sy though that i'm reading this one :p
Sy has a very good taste. Although his standards are a bit higher than mine (ie. Noir set that he sold me when I was a newbie here)

Read after dark. It is... well, dark.

MrChom said:
chaos said:

The movie is WEIRD....at times wholly faithful, and at other times just...well...

The Weirding Way (a martial art taught only to a certain female sect) became "Weirding modules" that allowed you to make things explode by SHOUTING at them. The whole movie prologue is weird too, None of that exists in the book (Where it starts with Paul on Caladan).

The one good thing is that at least you saw the movie and not the miniseries...which...just....AUGH....THE PAIN OF RECOLLECTION....

lol =) I'll think about the novel then. It has much love from many sci-fi people.

What a great idea for a thread. Why didn't I think of it..?

I've been in a big Hunter S. Thompson mood recently - Just finished Kindgdom of Fear and about to start The Rum Diary. Though I doubt I could survive his level of substance abuse that man was my ******* hero. One of the most insightful people of the last century - Amongst others, his article written on September the 11th, 2001 (included in Kingdom of Fear) successfully predicted everything that would follow in the next several years.

Next, I want this book (don't know where I'll be able to get it from for less than several hundred pounds though). Banning things always makes them more appealing, but a big endorsment from Michael Moorcock is what done it - I found the book while searching for articles written by him.

I'm reading Jingo by Terry Pratchett, albeit sparcely. Enjoying it a lot. Terry Pratchett is my favourite author mainly due to his wonky storytelling style and quiky humour being right up my street.

Jayme said:
Just finishing reading the Theodor Seuss Geisel fantasy epic, Green Eggs and Ham. Thank God for Sam-I-Am.

Quite the epic. wouldn't you agree. Shall we talk of the metaphorical symbolism of the green eggs and ham and why Sam was so persistent with his insistence that he have them.

I think Sam represents organized religion of the modern era and how they bend to get what little followers they can and modern society's refusal to accept outdated ideas, outdated eggs "green eggs"

Until the are forced into a dark desperate corner and finally accept them, "the born again Christian" taking solice in what little they have to offer which seems like a lot in their rock bottom state of mind.

Genius.

I'll leave the metaphors to you. I just enjoyed the rhyming rhymes of Sam-I-Am trying to get the guy to eat Green Eggs and Ham. He would not, could not, in a box. He could not, would not, with a fox. He wouldn't eat it with a mouse, next to a house. On the train or in the rain. He wouldn't eat it here or there or anywhere.

It's awesome.

Back