What manga are you reading now?

@Sarah Thank you for the recommendations! I will definitely endeavour to check out both in the near future and it's good to know Jocelyne Allen worked on Blue Morning, I do like her translations a lot (the one saving grace of a lot of Seven Seas' recent BL output). I will heed the warning with June's abandoned release of Hana Wa Saku Ka and pick those up in Japanese... :)

@Demelza: The Japanese editions are very nice indeed (dust jackets etc.) so you won't regret it! And yes, it's a very good feeling reading a Jocelyne Allen translation (like a ride in a sleek limousine...) 🙂 (Shoko Hidaka - who might, I think I've read somewhere, be a two-mangaka team - also has a very interesting-looking josei historical series ongoing which I'd love to start reading about a kimono shop - called Hi ni Nagarete Hashi ni Iku/ひにながれてはしにいく ).

@Demelza: The Japanese editions are very nice indeed (dust jackets etc.) so you won't regret it! And yes, it's a very good feeling reading a Jocelyne Allen translation (like a ride in a sleek limousine...) 🙂 (Shoko Hidaka - who might, I think I've read somewhere, be a two-mangaka team - also has a very interesting-looking josei historical series ongoing which I'd love to start reading about a kimono shop - called Hi ni Nagarete Hashi ni Iku/ひにながれてはしにいく ).
Ooo that sounds interesting to me as well, onto the growing list it goes~

I do love these historical settings that are becoming a little more of a trend in manga atm (at least in our market). Usotoki Retoric and My Dear Detective Mitsuko's Case Files spring to mind as well as the wonderful My Happy Marriage, although I suppose that one is more alternate universe given the fantasy element. Nice to see to help dilute some of the fantasy and isekai anyways.

Ooo that sounds interesting to me as well, onto the growing list it goes~

I do love these historical settings that are becoming a little more of a trend in manga atm (at least in our market). Usotoki Retoric and My Dear Detective Mitsuko's Case Files spring to mind as well as the wonderful My Happy Marriage, although I suppose that one is more alternate universe given the fantasy element. Nice to see to help dilute some of the fantasy and isekai anyways.
I do agree! :) (I was hoping your request for Usotoki would come along soon but things have slowed down a lot, even with Turnaround...) :confused:

Deserter
This was one of the stronger Junji Ito short story collections I've read. He has many short stories that end so suddenly they're not entirely satisfying but this collection mostly avoids that feeling. It's also not as reliant on the body horror (there's still plenty) but there is a greater variety of horror tropes on display in this collection.

Also listened to Herald of Shalia book 1 audiobook. What I've learnt listening to this and a few like it is that western isekeis just exist to be full of cringe sex scenes. They probably wouldn't be as bad if I was reading the book but having to listen to another person, in this case Amber Lee Conors, read them to me is just kinda weird and uncomfortable. The fight scenes were well done but everything is just an excuse to introduce new girls for the MC to have sex with and then another extended sex scene. As well as being cringe it just gets boring.

Kiss and White Lily for My Dearest Girl vol 1
Yuri set in a girls school with our central couple being academic rivals, the studious honour student and the lazy genius. There's also a second couple who get their own chapters and interact a lot with the main 2. The art is quite nice.

Sex Ed 120% vol 3 (complete)
All the colours of the rainbow.
A fun edutainment manga with some great characters. As I've mentioned before I'm not the target audience, but some of the information was new, in that it was stuff I'd never really looked into, but the best aspect for me was the comedy with plenty LOL moments plus there's a bit of a romance in there as well.
The art was quite nice with the characters all fairly realistic, but also distinct enough.
8/10

Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsody ch 90

Fairy Tail: 100 Years Quest ch 117

Houkago no Goumon Shoujo Ch 138

In Another World With My Smartphone ch 71

Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san ch 164

Karakai Jouzu no (Moto) Takagi-san ch 245 - 247

That Time I Got Reincarnated As a Slime ch 100

The Wise Man's Grandson ch 71

Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin Volume 1 (Vertical Hardcover Omnibus Edition) - Whoooaaaa so good! I have all 12 of these as well now really think they will prove to be worth the money as I/when I've read the whole thing :)

Who Says Warriors Can't be Babes? Vol 1
Checking out a first volume from a Bookwalker coin back event.
A girl gets saved by a hero who tells her if she gets stronger he'll let her join his group. Years later and the girl who's been training every day since is now MUCH stronger! Will she be able to win the heroes heart without killing him first...
Not as ecchi as I thought it was going to be (until the bonus chapter which mentions a change of platform, so maybe it gets a bit raunchier later). It was fairly amusing and there's only 2 more vols, so might finish it.

Superwomen in Love! Honey Trap and Rapid Rabbit vol 1
Another first volume from a series in a Bookwalker coin back event.
A bit like Love After World Domination, but yuri. Although it deviates from that template slightly (and very quickly) in that the villainess of the story gets thrown out of her secret evil organisation and teams up with the heroine to fight against them.
Quite funny and only 5 volumes, so definitely going to finish it.

Sakamoto Days vol 1
This was really fun. The retired overweight hit man trying to run a shop with his family is very silly premise and this volume gets great millage and comedy from it. Will certainly be one I continue at some point.

Marginal Operation vol 1 & 2
Interesting premise about a guy who needs a new job and ends up becoming a Operations Operative for what is essentially a mercenary organisation. Has some heavy themes around war, terrorism and child soldiers but in the whole it's well done and I'll likely continue it.

Also listened to The Burning God by RF Kuang the third part in a trilogy. Christ these books are bleak! War, murder, rape, genocide, child soldiers, torture, famine, colonialsation, civil war, corruption, drug addiction, paranoia, betrayal and general misery. Throw in a dose of shamanism and being able to summon the power of the gods and you have a trilogy that's dense, action packed but also real heavy. They're well written books and the audiobooks are really well narrated but christ they're bleak and uncomfortable especially the 2nd two books. In the first one the MC still has some hope in her.

Back