World record achieved in UK: largest games cosplay meet

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
Earlier in March, we reported on Guinness World Records' attempt to organise the 'Largest Gathering of Games Characters' (people in cosplay, obviously) for the latest edition of their world records book. Well, <a href="http://www.ukanime.com/template2.php?page=main.php&p=494">it happened</a> in London over the weekend and around 80 people turned up, meaning the record attempt was achieved. Our own Nargis Ahmad was at the event and will be posting her report shortly (along with some pictures snapped), but in the mean time, you can <a href="http://uk.gamespot.com/news/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=26293999">also read</a> Gamespot's review of the event too.

Yeah, I bet the Japanese could easily do that. Need I remind everyone about the Haru Haru dance? I'm sure it wasn't 80 people, but there's certainly a lot just to do a dance.

It was all pretty last minute as they only announced the event two weeks ago. Anyway, the idea was for games characters not just any cosplay. Plus there are certain things to do for it to be an official record.

Still it was a good day.

I thought it would have made sense to do a cosplay world record, in the country that cosplay originates from... 80 people... that's shocking. London Expo gets more than that by far... Anime Expo thousands more than that...

melonpan said:
I thought it would have made sense to do a cosplay world record, in the country that cosplay originates from... 80 people... that's shocking. London Expo gets more than that by far... Anime Expo thousands more than that...
Cosplay doesn't originate from Japan (but the word does in a roundabout way). People have engaged in fancy dress for years.

Also worth noting that this is for game characters, not anime characters. Sure there are a lot of anime and cult film/TV cosplayers at London Expo and the like with a smattering, more or less, of game characters among them. Regardless of the number of people visiting the Expo I don't think that many of them cosplay as game characters and you would be faily hard pressed to gather that many (without organising it beforehand) at the same place and time. Still I am sure this record could easily be broken in the likes of Japan or the US.

Gawyn said:
Also worth noting that this is for game characters, not anime characters.

For some reason, that didn't click with me until you just wrote it. Even though it's called the Gamer's Guinness World Records. By cosplay I'm just taking that in the sense of dressing up as Japanese characters, you wouldn't call fancy dress cosplay if you lived anywhere other than Japan. Much like I take manga to mean comics originating from Japan and not any kind of comic.

I guess the small number was so they can put this into the following years world records much higher figures... and all the years after that. Maybe.

To be fair, it's not like most anime series don't have game tie-ins in the first place. That's why we were e-mailed along with all the game websites, as there seems to be a lot of cross-over between the two mediums, even if those games are Japan-only dating simulators :( Everything from Haruhi and Naruto to Berserk and Gungrave have video games, so the vast majority of anime cosplayers would qualify for this. Anyway, first thing we heard about this event was early March, so it seems like it was slapped together at short notice and the rather underwhelming attendance reflects that. There will be more "game" characters at the London Expo and Amecon, but I doubt they'll be counting!

There is certain rules to the record breaking. One of them is probably that they have to be in Cosplay without actually being at an event i.e they dressed up especially to break the record.

Just one thing the rules were for games characters only. In other words characters that originated in games.

The idea was for a intentional gathering of characters (like Zen 2nd said).

Back