Your Top 10 Anime of the Decade (Unreasonable Rules Edition!)

NoSurprises

Straw Hat Pirate
The staff of Anime UK News had their own picks article and some contributions were made in the associated thread, but I'm a sucker for rules and more listings. So here's another thread with both! Going to use other peoples lists for some reccomendations too...

Rules (I'm down to debate some of these...):
  • Any territory - aired/screened between January 2010 - December 2019.
  • Films AND series same list (just to make it really hard).
  • If it's one big sprawling series that started pre 2010 then it doesn't get list privileges (looking at you Monogatari/Gintama...)
  • Film series like Kizumonogatari or Gundam Thunderbolt/The Origin etc. count as one entry. Though should I roll these into the above rule since both their progenitors kicked off pre 2010?
  • If it's a big sprawling series that started post 2010, then all seasons count as one entry (i.e. Hero Aca, Durarara + x2 etc).
  • Doesn't have to be in any particular order.
  • No honourable mentions, you cheaters!
  • Don't talk about fight club?
My list
The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya (Movie) - 2010
Nichijou (Series) - 2011
Little Witch Academia (Movie) - 2013
Kyousou Giga (Series) - 2013
Ping Pong (Series) - 2014
Space Dandy (Series) - 2014
Kizumonogatari (Movie) - 2016
March Comes in Like a Lion (Series) - 2016
Space Patrol Luluco (Series) - 2016
Made in Abyss (Series) - 2017

Blimey that was hard, there are easily another half dozen things I could've swapped in... I'll probably add some justification for the selections later!

But aren’t the Haruhi and Kizu films just entries in that franchise...
MY LIST MY RULES!!1

I'm more inclined to see films as somewhat separate from a main series, but like my bulletpoint stated, if folks don't see it that way, happy to make it a hard and fast rule and switch up my list a little.

OK, for me, I'm listing only series, and not movies - to me movies should be in a separate list. These are pretty much my top favorite series of the 2010 decade, in order from 1 to 10. "Oh, the Drama!"

Violet Evergarden
Ancient Magus' Bride
Space Battleship Yamato 2199
Jormungand
Psycho-Pass
Ajin
Death Parade
ACCA 13
Terror in Resonance
Attack on Titan

I wish this was a Top 20 list instead of a Top 10 list... too many other good ones I had to leave out! I have close to 20 titles just for movies off the top of my head, lol...

Last edited:
Durarara
Fruits Basket (2019)
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood (almost half of it aired in 2010 but if it can’t count then I’ll replace it.)
Hozuki’s Coolheadedness
JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure
March Comes in like a Lion
Psycho-Pass
Space Dandy
Steins;Gate
Yuru Camp

Should point out that this is purely alphabetical and not in order of preference.

Last edited:
Hyouka
Shinsekai Yori
Steins;Gate
Mawaru Penguindrum
Sarazanmai
Terror in Resonance
-----
from here goes into a bit unfixed rank order
-----
Occultic;Nine
The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya
Madoka Magica the Movie Part 3: Rebellion
-----
10th has too many set onto the same spot, so leaving it out for the time being.

Also pretty behind on a lot of titles of the decade....

(Full list with explanationI started up upon, not finished, but at least has the top 150 already added in very rough ranking Anime of the Decade (2010-2019) for anyone interested.)

K-ON!! (2010)
Space Battleship Yamato 2199 (2012 - 2013)
Code Geass: Akito the Exiled (2012 - 2016)
Shirobako (2014 - 2015)
Yurikuma Arashi (2015)
My Love Story!! (2015)
Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin (2015 - 2018)
Flip Flappers (2016)
In This Corner of the World (2016)
Penguin Highway (2018)

Ignoring the rules somewhat, but I don't care 'cause they're good shows!

Well this has been super hard to do. So many good shows and films in so many genres.

A Silent Voice
Madoka Magica
K-on
Watamote
Durarara
From the New World
MSG Thunderbolt: December Sky
Haikyu
School-Live
Made in Abyss

In all honesty I'm pretty sure this list would turn out different every day.

A Silent Voice
Madoka Magica
Steins;Gate
One Punch Man
Overlord
Log Horizon
MSG Thunderbolt: December Sky
Your Name
Promare
My Hero Academia
Made in Abyss
Land of the Lustrous
Girls Last Tour
Little Busters
Kingsglaive
Durarara
Your Lie In April
Silver spoon
Havent you heard I'm Sakamoto
Watamote
Scums Wish
From the New World
Haikyu!!
School-Live!
K-on

Thinking on this again K-ON! would have made the list if I counted it and poor JoJo would be dethroned. I still hold out a little hope that they adapt the short sequel mangas one day.

I thought I'd give a few thoughts on each in order I saw them (I've already picked out my top TV Show/Film on the other thread).

Wolf Children (2012)
I caught this on TV when SYFY (I think) showed a load of Madhouse produced films before returning here mid-2017. Although Ghibli released 5 films last decade, of which The Tale of Princess Kaguya is my favourite (although Film4 "aired" them all so I could have picked Princess Mononoke for this list 😜), it was Hosoda's tale of coming to terms with who you want to be that beat them all as one my favourites of the decade. It contains some great moments both storywise with a range of emotions and animation wise.

Anohana (2011)
In the Spring of 2017 after a friend told me about Your Name. I searched for it online and came across a different film called Anthem of the Heart (on YouTube 🤫) which for some reason I watched anyway and I loved it (it just missed out on this list). Fast forward to later that year, I was back on here and AotH was my first Anime Limited purchase. I was also now on MAL and decided to look for other stuff by the writer/director team and came across Gundam:IBO (which also missed out) and AnoHana which became one of my first import purchases.
A moving show about coming to terms with lose and being able to let go and move on with your life. Its varied cast all had their own coping mechanisms, but only by coming together and talking through what had happened can they truly find their way.

Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun (2014)
In my first half year here I mainly focused on watching older stuff that I had missed out on. I was going to put Mushishi here, but when checking the dates of the 2 seasons we've had so far I realised that season 1 was 2005! 9 years before season 2 in 2014! (season 3 in 2023 please 🙏) and felt that they really should go together and as I didn't have a comedy show on my list I'd go for Nozaki-kun.
This was an hilarious rom-com that hasn't been beaten by any of the comedies I've seen since.

I started watching seasonal anime in Winter 2018 and hit the jackpot straight away with not one, but two excellent shows:
Yuru Camp (2018)
On the face of it a show about girls going camping doesn't sound like an interesting idea, but this show has so much to it with its varied characters, comedy and infotainment. The artwork especially the backgrounds are really nice and the animation adds to the characters with some fun actions.

A Place Further Than the Universe (2018)
This show is almost perfect in every aspect. Characters, comedy, drama, art, animation and music all come together to tell a story both uplifting and moving in equal measure.

Sound! Euphonium (2015/6)
Musical based shows came down to this or Your Lie in April and felt this was more consistently great episode to episode.
After APFTTU finished I again looked for shows by the writer and/or director and this was one of them.
A school club show without all the usual tropes of finding members/advisor and of underdogs making it to nationals. Instead it concentrated on what it is that makes people want to persue (or not) their passion and the drama of trying to get into a band that already has high standards and the relationships that gets forged under that pressure. It also has some lovely art and some great animated moments.

Kill La Kill (2013)
After watching Gurren Laggan this was on my PTW/Netflix list, along with Little Witch Academia (a Trigger property that just missed out on the best list), until I learned it was leaving the platform.
An off the wall comedy about a girl wanting revenge and paroding the hierarchy of the school system builds and builds to a crescendo that tackles weightier topics.
Art and animation are top notch in every scene from the smallest stuff to the most outrageously over the top fight scenes.

Mob Psycho 100 (2016/2019)
Of all the shows that had multiple entries, but only part of it scored a 9 this one got a spot due to the fact that the second season is so good that it elevates the series as a whole that little bit more unlike say Psycho Pass as the second season was a downward step!
The story of a boy who's psychic power is so strong he can level buildings, but would rather be normal and make friends the regular old way and works hard to improve the aspects of his life that aren't so strong. Numerous characters would probably be bad guys if it wasn't for the affect of having Mob in their life, indeed some were before they met him. Has some funny moments and epic scenes with a unique art style and excellent animation.

Fruits Basket: First Season (2019)
As re-adaptations go it's up there with Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (I'm not sure you can count it as this decade, but if did of course that would be on the list).
This was much better than the first attempt with a bit less of the slapstick stuff and upped the emotional moments. The art was also better.

PROMARE (2019)
As I said when I watched it, it's the Imaishi/Nakashima (GL/KLK) formula shrunk down to 2 hours! Complete with the same insane art and animation, and a great soundtrack.

Hopes the OP doesn't realise my ulterior motive for setting it out like I did :p

Last edited:
In no particular Order

Overlord
Kizumonogatari
Re:Zero
Your Name
Gosick
Space Battleship Yamato 2199
Attack on Titan
Witch Craft Works
Rascal Doesn't Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai
Made in Abyss

Yuru Camp
A Place Further Than The Universe
Your Lie in April
K-On
Made in Abyss
Steins;Gate
Durarara
Psycho Pass
March Comes in Like a Lion
Sword Art Online
(more of a personal favourite really)

Wow, this was a toughy. What a challenge this thread poses! 😅
I like it. 😉

I've intentionally left some of the more obvious choices out of my list to make way for a few obscure gems. In the final reckoning, I've picked six films, three TV series and three "others".
  • The Case of Hana and Alice (film, 2015)
  • Giovanni's Island (film, 2014)
  • I Want to Eat Your Pancreas (film, 2018)
  • Patema Inverted (film, 2013)
  • The Wind Rises (film, 2013)
Plus...
  • The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya (film, 2010) if it's allowed to count under @NoSurprises' rules, otherwise it would have its place taken by...
  • The Boy and the Beast (film, 2015)
  • Kill Me Baby (TV series, 2012)
  • Kill la Kill (TV series, 2013)
  • Punch Line (TV series, 2015)
  • Black★Rock Shooter (OVA, 2010)
  • The Dragon Dentist (TV special, 2017)
  • Japan Animator Expo [the whole thing] (ONA, 2014)

As a bit of a disclaimer, there are some key titles in my collection that could perhaps have been contenders but that I simply haven't watched yet — ones such as Made in Abyss, Girls' Last Tour or Flip Flappers. There was also one short film by Production I.G that pained me to leave out of the list, and I can't even name it, because that would count as an honourable mention!

It was Li'l Spider Girl from 2012. 😛

Back