Your viewing journal

Bartender: Glass of God episode 4 Energy to argue.

Date A Live V episode 3 Date time.

KonoSuba: God’s Blessing on This Wonderful World! 3 episode 3 Playing a game.

Mysterious Disappearances episode 3 A world without bullying.

The Many Sides of Voice Actor Radio episode 3 Bathtub bonding.

Nurse Angel Ririka SOS episodes 2-12

Frieren ep 1-4 (dub)
Nice and chill, if not a little sad at parts where the titular character has regrets.
Also the art is quite lovely.

The Masterful Cat is Depressed Again Today ep 13 (complete)
The power of a good meal.
Finally finished this, it was an OK SoL comedy and had some amusing moments.
Despite GoHands reputation and having seen the first 2 episodes of The Girl I Like Forgot Her Glasses I can't say I remember anything too egregious in the art and animation, certainly fairly unique though.
6/10

Gundam: The Origin Complete

As an enjoyer of the manga, I went in with some trepidation just incase it didn’t live up to my expectations. Thankfully, the adaption is extremely well done and accurate (to my memory at least) to my memory. Well, I can hardly call it an adaptation as both were done by Yas, so if anything, I guess it’s a recreation.

A part of me wishes the whole 0079 was redone just like this, however I am thankful that my favourite arc from the manga is so masterfully done. The whole story has so much going on from human emotion to awesome combat sequences. I’m pumped to watch some more Gundam but I really must finish a few half watched box sets first.

🤖

Nearly finished starting the season (several weeks in).

Oblivion Battery ep 1: A legendary baseball-playing duo enrol in a school with a tiny, fledgling baseball club after one of the pair comes down with severe amnesia. Of course they soon end up playing baseball again - teamed up with a boy whose confidence they shattered back when they were both playing at the top of their game. There's an underlying mystery about the amnesiac guy's situation because he seems to have developed an aversion to baseball, but it's difficult to focus on it because he's a nightmare, charging around excitably and yelling. Meanwhile, the other characters have issues of their own which might be interesting to dig into if the amnesiac ever stops noisily deflecting, and the climax of the episode had a few moments which were genuinely exciting. The other problem is that I don't like the art which is entirely a 'me' issue. The animation is otherwise quite good and the direction is appealingly bouncy, though, so in a less busy season I might have given this one more time.

Unnamed Memory ep 1: Hm, another fantasy story where someone wants to undo a witchy curse placed upon them by visiting another witch. This series has the hero speedrunning through a legendary tower which serves as a gauntlet to test the attractive witch's visitors. Those who succeed are allowed to request a wish, but when the lead learns that his curse of infertility can't be cured conventionally he latches onto the witch's proposed alternative solution: finding a mate strong enough to bear his children in spite of the curse. And thus he chooses the witch herself, giving himself a deadline of one year to bring her around to the idea of bearing his child (even though she doesn't appear keen at all). There's potential here for a fun battle of wits but I'm not convinced that any of the characters depicted thus far possesses enough charisma or intellect to make that interesting, and while there are ways to make the 'you're the only hope I have to have a biological child!' formula work I find it hard to believe that it won't be uncomfortable. It's already annoying that the lead has spent his whole life researching and mastering his powers so that he can do all of these things, yet guilt-tripping an ancient witch into doing his bidding comes more easily to him than simply asking his dad why he was cursed in the first place!

Black Butler -Public School Arc- ep 1: Black Butler is the only manga I read chapter-by-chapter rather than waiting for volumes and so this is a very rare opportunity, these days, to come into an adaptation of something where I already know what will happen. So far, so good. The subtitles have opted for 'drudges' rather than preserving the contentious period terminology used in the manga translation but otherwise this looks like a faithful adaptation. While I also fancy that Sebastian's anime design has failed to preserve some of his beauty, which is unfortunate, I'm enjoying this love letter to our nonsensical, ritualistic history. Gratuitous spoiler for those up to date on the manga: it's nice to see Sebastian and Ciel again after all this time too!

Jellyfish Can’t Swim in the Night ep 1: Another in the category of 'this was fine, but it didn't stand out enough to compel me to continue'. A meek girl whimpers passively through her life until a chance encounter with a charismatic stranger, who turns out to have a few things in common with the lead in spite of their superficial differences. The main viewpoint character is a bit too sickly-cute for my tastes but the show is ok. It looks good and there are plenty of plot threads to pull on, so I can imagine that this slick, modern depiction of female friendship set against a backdrop of music, art and online fame will be a good watch.

Whisper Me a Love Song ep 1: A tale of romantic misunderstandings between a star-struck schoolgirl and an older girl with a talent for music. At first it felt a bit like K-On! mixed with Sasaki and Miyano. The series' charm is in its more irreverent depictions of female friendship, which are well done, and the older girl is realistically portrayed as a bit of a mess who accidentally comes across as cool, which I found sweet (and far healthier than the way most other shows write their heroines). The visuals are a mixed bag because while the character art is lovely throughout, there are a lot of scenes where the characters are framed by clunky CG people walking around them for extended periods and I found the clash quite distracting. I wouldn't be against seeing more of this but it's not a priority right now.

R

City Hunter Netflix Film

I decided to watch the film dubbed, for some reason I just felt it would extenuate the comedic elements, and boy did it! A really fun movie with some cool stunts, fighting and gunplay. It might not be John Wick, but I had just as much fun with the humour and characters. Definitely worth a watch but remember not to take it too seriously.

🌆

An Archdemon’s Dilemma: How to Love Your Elf Bride episode 5 Crimson mist.

A Salad Bowl of Eccentrics episode 4 Idle chatter.

Dungeon Meshi episode 17 Beauty stab.

Yuru Camp△ Season 3 episode 4 (Not so) secret tunnel, through the mountains.

Nurse Angel Ririka SOS episodes 13-24

FLCL Complete

Walks the line between absurd but excellent and absurd and annoying. I think I definitely need to watch this one again soon to milk all the plot of it as I have to say I have only a thread of an idea of what happened.

Also, the music. Easily the best music of any anime I’ve seen. I think it takes it from an A to an A+ show. The Pillows have been added to my regular rotation playlist.

IMG_8663.jpeg

It's that Tomino-esque thing, saying it's Gundam, but really, it's giant robot anime. Right?

🎸

Frieren eps 5-10 (dub)
This set showed just how well the production can handle action as well as the calmer moments and episode 10 is amazing! The reveal at the end was awesome!

Zom 100 eps 10-12 (complete)
Home invasion.
Mad cap zombie romp with stuff to say about the human condition, the reveal at the end that his old man wasn't dying, but had hemorrhoids both fit the shows wackier side, but at the same time lessened the impact of the events a bit though.
Fun colourful art and well animated.
8/10

Spy x Family Code: White

Omfg incredible. Utterly perfect.

I'm going to avoid spoilers, and just say that if you're a fan of the series the it's everything you would want it to be.

The action is stylish and gripping, the comedy is laugh-out-loud funny. The story feels like a movie, rather than a long TV episode. Gorgeous animation. If this were an older show then I'd go into more detail, but for now it's enough to say that I'm certain you'll adore it.

Back