Your viewing journal

Japan Sinks: 2020 (Japanese audio) - Episodes 1-10 (Completed)

So I finally got the opportunity to watch this entire series from Yuasa & Science SARU. First of the concept is great and it's a new iteration of a decades old novel about Japan sinking. The start is really good and it gets to the point that you have no idea how it'll turn out. Then the second act starts and it felt like I had seen the direction before, but fortunately it doesn't overstay its welcome and gets back to the point with the third act. The third act I felt is where things start to crumble a bit and while I liked the ending, there's a lot of rough pacing issues and "oh **** we forgot the story is coming to a close soon so let's kill off some characters by giving them a spotlight moment first".

There's also a number of weird black screen moments which are quite jarring but the worst part is the animation itself. It's very rough and unpolished and at times looked like it came from Adobe Flash which is not a compliment. I know SARU & Yuasa love to go experimental with animation and that worked really well with Devilman Crybaby due to that show's fantastical elements blending really well with its art style but that idea doesn't translate well with what is supposed to be a serious realistic type disaster series. The characters are also a bit hit or miss at times with a lot of weird Engrish mixed into the mix, and honestly my favourite is KITE (he's basically a light hearted version of DC's Ryo lol).

Overall it's a good watch but I recommend you check out Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 instead for a better version of a Japan disaster series.

Last edited:
It's very rough and unpolished and at times looked like it came from Adobe Flash which is not a compliment. I know SARU & Yuasa love to go experimental with animation and that worked really well with Devilman Crybaby due to that show's fantastical elements blending really well with its art style but that idea doesn't translate well with what is supposed to be a serious realistic type disaster series.

Funnily enough Devilman Crybaby was also animated in flash. But yeah aside from episode 1 and some in the latter half the animation wasn't Science SARU's best work.

A Certain Scientific Railgun T episode 19 Mackerel and snatching.

APPARE-RANMAN! episode 7 Impersonations.

Fire Force Season 2 episode 31 Covering some new ground.

Uzaki-chan Wants to Hang Out! episode 6 Beach episode.

Kiss Him, Not Me! episodes 1-12 (Complete. A decently fun series that knows what it wants to be and didn’t take its story and antics too seriously for the most part.) 3.5/5

Hatena☆Illusion (English Dub) Episode 10

A Certain Scientific Railgun T Episode 19 Hard bargaining and invisible arrows.

Fire Force 2nd Season Episode 31 Unfamiliar territory.

Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma: The Fifth Plate Episode 7 Multiskilled.

Rent-A-Girlfriend Episode 6 Exposed.

Super HxEros (Uncensored) Episode 7 Beast mode.

Uzaki-chan Wants to Hang Out! Episode 6 Meddling at the beach.

Shirobako ep1-2

Going to actually watch it this time, instead of just starting it and then getting distracted. Much as I loved Eizouken, this definitely feels like a truer depiction of what goes into making anime...

Sword Art Online Alicization -War of Underworld- (Japanese audio) - Episode 18 (Part 2 Ep 6)

2020-08-15.png

When you wake up finally but Eugeo is still dead.

Lapis Re:Lights Episode 7 I want to sing.

Peter Grill and the Philosopher's Time (Uncensored) Episode 6 Porked.

Sword Art Online Alicization –War of Underworld– Episode 18 A solid episode.

The Misfit of Demon King Academy Episode 7 A mother's wish and a brutal punishment.

Lapis Re:LiGHTs episode 7 A different perspective.

The Misfit of Demon King Academy episode 7 Never mess with a Demon Lord’s fan club.

Kyo Kara Maoh! episodes 1-18

The Idolm@ster: Cinderella Girls Second Season episodes 9-12 (End)
While it doesn't quite reach the heights of the 2011 series, Cinderella Girls is still a fantastic addition to the franchise with a memorable story and characters. Looking forward to the inevitable Shiny Colors adaptation.

Whisper of the heart [Rewatch]

[Original Score 8/10] New Score 9/10 - Really nice coming of age anime, Loved this rewatch

The cat returns

8/10 - Shes a cat <3

Kiki's Delivery Service [Rewatch]

[Original Score 7/10] New Score 9/10 - This is an odd one for me as the rewatch felt totally different than the first time I saw it.

Golden Kamuy s1 eps 1-3 (dub, rewatch)
With Season 3 coming up, I thought I'd rewatch this as it's been a while. These first 3 episodes set up the story and setting so well, but I thought I'd watch dubbed because I do remember getting a bit lost later on though. The only problem is that I've seen other shows with the same actors who play the 2 MCs and I keep thinking on those show which is a little distracting, so it's Dandy and Maho (S;G0) instead of Sugimoto and Asirpa. Not sure if it's because it's easier for me to tell in English (almost every time I think I might know who else the Japanese VA of character has done it turns out to be a different VA), or they chose similar voices for both characters or they don't bother changing much from role to role (although having a quick skim through their MAL, they have played other characters in shows I've watched dubbed that didn't come to mind).

Monster Girl Doctor ep 6
New lease of life.

SAO Alicization: War of Underworld s2 e6
Jesus-kun has arisen!

Lapis Re:LiGHTs ep 7
"Suffering and conflict are both darkness and light. Do not fear the path you have chosen. Embrace it!"

Ninja Collection ep 6
Wooosh!

Boruto: Naruto Next Generations episode 161 Delusions of youth and beauty.

Monster Girl Doctor episode 6 Shedding feathers and honour.

Kyo Kara Maoh! episodes 19-32

Fruits Basket 2nd Season episode 45 Unexpected casting.

The God of High School episode 7 Trying again and again.

Kyo Kara Maoh! episodes 33-39 (Complete. A solid first season with some more dramatic moments to counteract the comedy, which I found a bit hit and miss. The characterisation isn’t always the strongest either but there is a nice sense of adventure throughout the story that makes it pretty easy to watch. Onto the second season.) 3.5/5

Kyo Kara Maoh! 2nd Season
episodes 40-45

Back