Your viewing journal

Lupin III: Part 2 ep10

Seeing Lupin in an F1 race again is a nice callback to the original series, but as a Scot, I feel personally attacked that they would suggest Jackie Stewart is an American.

Chio's School Road ep1-2 (English dub)

I remember watching an episode of this when it started, but then forgot about it - one of those shows that just gets a bit lost in the crush. For whatever reason though, it came back into my mind recently; it's more fanservicey than I recall, but it's a novel idea and genuinely very funny at times. The dub is also pretty solid, tonally quite similar to Funi's more recent work on Dumbbells, despite having a different cast.

Mysteria Friends
Charming and enjoyable little series as we watch the relationship between the 2 princesses grow.

Ghost Hunt rewatch
Some stuff happened this weekend and I just wanted to watch something I knew well in a comforting sort of way.

Golden Kamuy s1 eps 4-6 (dub, rewatch)

Barefoot Gen 2 (sub)

UMAYON ep 7
Extra motivation.

Fruits Basket s2 e20
Buttoned up wrong.

Breakwater ep 7
A new technique and revision.

Black Clover episode 139 Vanessa’s side-story.

Diary of our Days at the Breakwater episode 7 Ohno-senpai’s tale of a trip she took.

Muhyo & Roji’s Bureau of Supernatural Investigation 2nd Season episode 19 Another fairly strong episode.

UMAYON episode 7 Winning kicks and Wicker Man Remake flashbacks.

Kyo Kara Maoh! 2nd Season episodes 46-58

Lupin III: Part 2 ep11-12 (English dub)

I can't quite put my finger on what it is, but the character dynamic of the central group feels a bit snappier than it generally does in the newer series - perhaps this is why the red jacket run is so revered. I also feel a bit like the dub is trying to do a Bill Clinton voice for the President, when he's clearly a period-appropriate caricature of Jimmy Carter, but then I don't actually know what a Jimmy Carter impression should sound like...

Yu Yu Hakusho ep11-12

This is picking up a bit now. It still feels quite familar, but there's some nice cuts of animation going on in the fight scenes and it feels like the plot is hitting its stride.

Had my first group anime viewings in quite a while - I started showing The Saga of Tanya the Evil to both a friend and the next-door neighbor couple during the month of August. My friend and I watched eps 1-9 on the big screen in my basement theater over two evenings near the beginning of the month, and then my neighbors came over a couple of evenings the following week, and we watched episodes 1-7 while sitting outside at the patio table on my back deck. I have an All-in-One PC with a 24" 1080p monitor, a Blu-ray drive, and spacial stereo audio, so I can use it as a convenient portable Blu-ray player/monitor, even outside for a nice change of viewing venue. Late in the evening we heard a screech owl's eerie warbling like a ghost somewhere up the hill in the wooded area behind my yard. I've never heard one here in town before, so it was nice to hear the wildlife while watching anime outdoors.

This past Friday night both the next-door neighbor couple and my friend came to visit, and the four of us finished off the last five episodes 8-12, again watching on the PC out on the back porch. My friend had to re-watch eps 8 and 9 so the neighbors could catch up, but he didn't mind at all. My neighbors are both military, so they were totally into the series, and were very excited they got to see it.

Yesterday I asked my neighbors what anime they wanted to see next, and they decided on another military-themed anime - GATE. I broke the seal on my MVM CE set, and the three of us watched the first four episodes on the deck again last night. I've only seen GATE through about episode 15, so the remainder will be totally new to me as well. My neighbors are really liking this one too, so it should be a fun ride to watch the series outside with friends over the next few weeks, especially now that the 90+ degree summer heat and extreme humidity we've had for 7 weeks straight is finally subsiding. We even heard the screech owl again, a little closer this time, so hopefully it's put up permanent residence here in the neighborhood.

Last edited:
K (episodes 1 to 13)
K - Missing Kings
K - Return of Kings (
episodes 1 to 13)

Shame that the original series never got released in this country (strange in having a release for the movie & sequel series but not the original series which might have limited sales as people would have needed to import the original series from America or other places where it got released).

Interesting concept for a series, fan service in the 2nd series felt stronger than in the 1st (more bouncing boobs)

K (episodes 1 to 13)
K - Missing Kings
K - Return of Kings (
episodes 1 to 13)

Shame that the original series never got released in this country (strange in having a release for the movie & sequel series but not the original series which might have limited sales as people would have needed to import the original series from America or other places where it got released).

Interesting concept for a series, fan service in the 2nd series felt stronger than in the 1st (more bouncing boobs)
The first series did get a release through Kaze but it's long out of print. I'm not sure if Anime Limited have rescued the license or are looking into it though.

Ahiru no Sora episode 44 Ongoing struggles.

DECA-DENCE episode 7 Fixing a hole.

Mr Love: Queen’s Choice episode 6 Goodbye blue sky.

Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- 2nd Season episode 32 A different side to the cycle.

Kyo Kara Maoh! 2nd Season episodes 59-72

How Heavy Are the Dumbbells You Lift? episodes 9-12 (End)
A fun series from Doga Kobo. For a newcomer Ai Fairouz has made a great Start voicing character's like Hibiki and Budoukan's Eripiyo.

The Idolm@ster Cinderella Girls Theater episodes 7-13 (End)
A fun collection of shorts. There's still another 7 seasons so plenty of content

Last edited:
Great Pretender (Japanese audio) - Episodes 1-5 [Case 1]

Really solid start to the series, so props to WIT Studio for going for an original concept. Great cast and the first story arc had some surprises (predictable if you are knowledgeable about the tropes) but overall I am looking forward to checking out the rest of the series. Of course Netflix only has the first three cases of four out now (the fourth is this September in Japan).

Should note that as I had gone with the subbed version, there is a fair bit of Engrish during the first episode which isn't translated and Makoto's lines can be hard to understand, but the show goes out of its way to break the fourth wall and state it will keep everything in Japanese from there on. Also yes the Freddie Mercury song is included in the Netflix stream outside of Japan.

Back