Your viewing journal

Hokuto no Ken - Episodes 73 - 80

Through these episodes Part 3 has concluded which was another fantastic story arc and currently the show is going on a run of recap episodes of the South Star fighters.

MAZE: The Mega-Burst Space - Episodes 1 & 2 [Final]

This OVA fits a lot in it's 2 episodes and has to be said is all over the place tonally, but I liked the way it looked, it did make me laugh and I did quite enjoy it overall.

Back Arrow - Episode 5

I'm glad I'm not the only one who this way about Millennium Actress (it feels impossible to critise a Konfilm most of the time), I've seen it twice and it just didn't it hold together as film.

If you enjoyed this and haven't seen the original Film/OVAs then I can highly recommend them. I started on a few of those Collection Titles years ago, must get round to finishing them off.

Yeah, it's a complete car crash of a show in the end, there was lots I liked about it, had an 80s feel that felt nostagic but the story was a complete mess and incomprehensible most of the time.
Have you ever seen the uncensored episodes of Maze and the infamous "Lost" ova? The series that was released in the us by Software Sculptures used the censored broadcast version. The unedited version was only released on laserdisc, somebody evidently found the laserdiscs and subbed then. I found them on the internet quite a while ago and downloaded them. These unedited episodes are quite a bit raunchier than the edited broadcast version.

The Promised Neverland: Season 2 Episodes 1-5

If I were an anime only this would be a very underwhelming follow-up, but as a manga reader it's just painful to watch. Why they've skipped so much good content and replaced it with rubbish filler is beyond me. Seems like they just want to finish it ASAP.

The Promised Neverland: Season 2 Episodes 1-5

If I were an anime only this would be a very underwhelming follow-up, but as a manga reader it's just painful to watch. Why they've skipped so much good content and replaced it with rubbish filler is beyond me. Seems like they just want to finish it ASAP.
I don't know, seems fine to me. Maybe too little time in the bunker, but apart from that it's been interesting to see the outside world.
I can't remember why, but I knew Norman was alive! Either I just assumed that would be the case or I got spoiled and somehow remembered that fact, but forgot where I read it.
Seems after it's over a read of the manga is in order.
Normally I do this with something I like, but leave it a while. The only story heavy manga I read first was Vinland Saga and whilst the adaptation was good the key moments had less impact because I knew they were coming.

I don't know, seems fine to me. Maybe too little time in the bunker, but apart from that it's been interesting to see the outside world.
I can't remember why, but I knew Norman was alive! Either I just assumed that would be the case or I got spoiled and somehow remembered that fact, but forgot where I read it.
Seems after it's over a read of the manga is in order.
Normally I do this with something I like, but leave it a while. The only story heavy manga I read first was Vinland Saga and whilst the adaptation was good the key moments had less impact because I knew they were coming.

Lots of anime only's are liking season 2 and nothing wrong with that. Though, I definitely recommend reading the manga afterwards if you enjoy the series. It's not perfect but there's plenty of good stuff there, Including many things that (most likely) won't be appearing in the anime.

I won't go deeply into the manga/anime comparison but Season 1 covered chapters 1-37 and now 5 episodes into season 2 we're up to 118 already, so you can see why many readers are feeling disappointed.

I can’t make a comparison to the source, No Longer Human by Osamu Dezai, as I haven’t got round to reading it yet, I had intended to read it before the movie hit UK home media but it is it what is.
That is an absolutely fantastic book in my opinion. The last line/para, if memory serves me right, are the best I have read to end any novel, the same way I feel Millennium Actress has the best line to ever end a movie. Now I have to watch Human Lost!

I actually love their unique style of CG graphics, and Knights of Sidonia, Ajin, and Blame! are all top favorites of mine.
I usually can't stand fully CGI anime when it comes to use in character animation but regardless I also really like blame! and KoS though I suspect that's more down to my love of Nihei's work, given that I couldn't keep watching Ajin after the first season down to the CGI heh.

Hortensia SAGA episode 7 Discovered.

Log Horizon: Destruction of the Round Table episode 6 Puppet show.

Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World- 2nd Season Part 2 episode 45 Behind the face paint.

The Heroic Legend of Arslan (Rewatch) episodes 16-25 (Complete. I recall this was one of the first fantasy anime series’ I watched and owned and it really got me into the subgenre, so was great to finally revisit it.) 4/5

The Heroic Legend of Arslan Season Two: Dust Storm Dance
episodes 1-3

Last edited:
I usually can't stand fully CGI anime when it comes to use in character animation but regardless I also really like blame! and KoS though I suspect that's more down to my love of Nihei's work, given that I couldn't keep watching Ajin after the first season down to the CGI heh.
Ah, ok - Ha, out of the three titles, Ajin is actually my favorite - especially Season 2!

Ah, ok - Ha, out of the three titles, Ajin is actually my favorite - especially Season 2!
Heh I'm still hoping to get back into it to finish season 2 as the story is certainly interesting (and also I hate leaving series half-watched...)

And yeah I can see why Ajin would be considered better given that Blame! merely touches on the source (but nevertheless does a good job of attempting to show Nihei's fantastic architectural designs & backgrounds, I guess hence suited to CGI) & Knights of Sidonia starts really well with a dark storyline in season 1, but then I think it loses its brilliance somewhat when trying to add in comedy (though to be fair it is just following the manga...)

I agree with you on Sidonia, I was so pissed off when they started adding the comedy into the story in the second season, it does not fit in with that series whatsoever. As everyone else here can tell you, I really hate any comedy in anime, I find it very tedious and a lot of it downright obnoxious to me, so I avoid it as much as possible. Serious drama anime for me all the way.

Ajin Season 1 (Japanese) - Episodes 1-4

Didn’t realise until after I booted up the disc and heard the opening that I watched the first season way back when it first hit Netflix and was in fact marked as completed under the English dub on MAL. After the watching the first 2 episodes tho I don’t remember anything about it, other than the opening, nothing feels familiar at all.

It has an interesting premise and the initial set up does keep you intrigued. The regular Polygon style does feel slightly off her tho and is a bit jarring tho, even as someone who’s seen all their other work. The backgrounds (which I believe are hand drawn) don’t seem to blend with the characters and other moving objects, at least not at first and the lighting is a bit odd during the first episode but I settled into it afterward. Things start to visually feel more cohesive in the fourth episode when we first get to see the Black Ghosts fighting.

Clearly I’m far more interested than my initial viewing of the series and I’m definitely looking forward to watching more.

Ajin Season 1 (Japanese) - Episodes 1-4

Didn’t realise until after I booted up the disc and heard the opening that I watched the first season way back when it first hit Netflix and was in fact marked as completed under the English dub on MAL. After the watching the first 2 episodes tho I don’t remember anything about it, other than the opening, nothing feels familiar at all.

It has an interesting premise and the initial set up does keep you intrigued. The regular Polygon style does feel slightly off her tho and is a bit jarring tho, even as someone who’s seen all their other work. The backgrounds (which I believe are hand drawn) don’t seem to blend with the characters and other moving objects, at least not at first and the lighting is a bit odd during the first episode but I settled into it afterward. Things start to visually feel more cohesive in the fourth episode when we first get to see the Black Ghosts fighting.

Clearly I’m far more interested than my initial viewing of the series and I’m definitely looking forward to watching more.
Now I'm wanting to re-watch the series again just to see more of Izumi Shimomura, my waifu Ajin Girl... she can shred my body to pieces anytime! 🥰

Dr. STONE: Stone Wars (Japanese audio) - Episode 6
The Promised Neverland Season 2 (Japanese audio) - Episode 6
The Quintessential Quintuplets 2 (Japanese audio) - Episodes 6-7

2021-02-18_67.png

tY36sUN.gif

Cells at Work! CODE BLACK episode 9 Ringworms.

Cells at Work! 2nd Season episode 7 Trapped.

Dr. Stone: Stone Wars episode 6 Dump run.

Heaven's Design Team episode 7 Alien ideas.

Higurashi: When They Cry - NEW episode 20 Confinement and reunion.

The Promised Neverland 2nd Season episode 18 A solution?

Yuru Camp△ 2nd Season episode 7 Solo camping prep.

The Heroic Legend of Arslan Season Two: Dust Storm Dance episodes 4-8 (Complete. A solid continuation for the series - maybe one day we’ll get a Season 3.) 3.5/5

The Irregular at Magic High School
episodes 1-7

Last edited:
As everyone else here can tell you, I really hate any comedy in anime, I find it very tedious and a lot of it downright obnoxious to me, so I avoid it as much as possible.
Yeah I can only imagine how much season 2 would've irritated you! I actually really like my anime comedy but in Knights of Sidonia I felt it was a disservice for some reason having comedy rammed in as an afterthought into a generally well realised, serious horror/sci fi. Not to say that I haven't seen the comedy/drama/horror juxtaposition work, though I can't recall any examples now, but it just took away from the story and drama in KoS and I also found the shift in tone annoying. Still, if I remember correctly, I believe they just followed the manga, which though I enjoyed, did not find it to be Nihei's best work and felt to me like he started catering a bit to the mainstream probably.

Back