Your viewing journal

Gosenzosama Banbanzai ep3

A little of this goes a long way, but I think this was the most engaging instalment so far. The show seems to be flexing its satirical muscles a lot more visibly and, while it‘s very much a snapshot of 1989, I think the plight of the younger generation struggling to repeat the success of their baby-boom parents still resonates even now. You can certainly get the measure of what would define Oshii’s style going forwards, with pseudo-factual lectures and strong emphasis on the monologue, even if here they’re played more for comic effect than usual.

Last edited:
Been a while I guess but I'll update.

Watched Terror in Resonance which I got as ultimate edition from an AL Christmas sale. For a UE it was a good blind buy at the price since I like the director. Anyway yeah this was a good show. And it get's bonus points as I appreciate when a show has the balls to make a sad/bittersweet ending.

Rewatched One Punch Man Season 2 which I got the CE on Blu-Ray. My initial impressions as it turns out remain unchanged, sure it's not as good as Season 1 but it's still a damn fun time.

Watched Full Metal Panic S1 it was a fun war comedy.

Trying to watch Eureka Seven ... And this is pretty much the entire reason I've not updated in this thread for a long time and I kind of dread to think how long ago it was I started this show (and my last update to this thread). I am genuinely enjoying the show but there are issues which are physically stopping me from watching it in a normal manner. And it has kind of killed my motivation until recently to watch any of my other shows since I started it.

(snipped because it's served it's purpose but wasn't an appropriate rant)

EDIT:
and I kind of dread to think how long ago it was I started this show (and my last update to this thread)
It was June, not as bad as I thought.

Last edited:
Been a while I guess but I'll update.

Watched Terror in Resonance which I got as ultimate edition from an AL Christmas sale. For a UE it was a good blind buy at the price since I like the director. Anyway yeah this was a good show. And it get's bonus points as I appreciate when a show has the balls to make a sad/bittersweet ending.

Rewatched One Punch Man Season 2 which I got the CE on Blu-Ray. My initial impressions as it turns out remain unchanged, sure it's not as good as Season 1 but it's still a damn fun time.

Watched Full Metal Panic S1 it was a fun war comedy.

Trying to watch Eureka Seven ... And this is pretty much the entire reason I've not updated in this thread for a long time and I kind of dread to think how long ago it was I started this show (and my last update to this thread). I am genuinely enjoying the show but there are issues which are physically stopping me from watching it in a normal manner. And it has kind of killed my motivation until recently to watch any of my other shows since I started it.

I'm watching this with my brother who was interested in checking it out but he only wants to watch like 2 episodes at a time, then if I am lucky we will watch 2 more a few weeks later when he is having a "good day." He suffers from depression which I am always understanding off and really do my best to be patient with, but still I can't help getting frustrated that if I want to break off and binge watch by myself he falls into a slump and I get trapped into waiting for him. He also wants to watch some of my Gundam releases with me too this so those have gone unwatched (particularly Turn A and Iron Blooded Orphans), and those are of course 50 eps each as well. I dunno what to do. Anyway Eureka Seven is good but I kind of forget what happened last episode by time we sit down to watch so it isn't really coherent.

This is an issue that is contuinuously ongoing, I love spending time with my brother and sharing my blu-rays but we fall into this trap every time. One example is with Gundam Zeta as well resulting in that show being a wierd jumbled mess off events in my mind, maybe that's why I vastly prefered ZZ. Ultimatey I just can't say no without him regressing, and I'm stupid enough to keep making the same mistake of letting him pick the next show just to hang out with me, since well he's my little brother and I love him, and he spends all day alone in his bedroom anyway. So I got to roll with the punches a bit.

Index 3 was the one which almost broke me, because ontop of a snails pace of progress it was a terrible show at the same time. Halfway through I suggested we should just outright drop it and find another show, playing it tactfully by casually saying it was a bad show not worth our time and he just breaks down and screams that I was failing to understand his condition. Oh boy after that one I also heard him **** talking about me behind my back while he was streaming on Twitch, but whatever I can play dumb so he doesn't know that I know, and with this post I think we are even there anyway.

I know he also makes a concious effort to avoid any forums I regularly visit so this is safe from prying eyes lol

EDIT:

It was June, not as bad as I thought.

Just wanna say as a person with depression my whole adult life good on you for being there for your brother. Hopefully you can find a way to address some of the things here that are issues with his behaviour in time but I'm really glad there are people like you in the world. I really like Terror in Resonance (I have the UE as well), Full Metal Panic S1 and Eureka Seven (I have the UE of that too), though I personally prefer Mob Psycho 100 to One Punch Man, so great choices there IMO :)

Irina: The Vampire Cosmonaut ep.1 - What's the point of having a 'vampire' in this if she doesn't have any vampiric traits? It's clearly just being used as a thinly-veiled allegory for racism, so I don't see why they bothered painting it as a pseudo-fantasy element at all. On hold.

I haven't seen any of this show but if you want something that handles some of the same themes but better (based on your description of Irina series) Chibi Vampire is really pretty great - I've watched the anime and own the Funimation DVD boxset of it (the one with six discs), I have the entire manga as physical copies and have read all volumes except the last one, and I am sorely tempted to read the novels as they're probably great too :)

Just wanna say as a person with depression my whole adult life good on you for being there for your brother. Hopefully you can find a way to address some of the things here that are issues with his behaviour in time but I'm really glad there are people like you in the world. I really like Terror in Resonance (I have the UE as well), Full Metal Panic S1 and Eureka Seven (I have the UE of that too), though I personally prefer Mob Psycho 100 to One Punch Man, so great choices there IMO :)
That's kind of you to say, I wasn't sure what reactions I would garner since my whole post was just to vent some built up frustrations so was pretty negative.

I've calmed down now so it worked.

Cowboy Bebop (live action) eps 7 & 8
7 was a another Faye centric episode and was a blast and in 8 Vicious finally lived up to his name instead of being a whiney edgelord! Still avoided dealing with Spike himself though!

Platinum End eps 6-8
Confrontation and the beginning of an investigation.

Let's Make a Mug Too s2 e9
Acceptance.

The Great Jahy Will Not Be Defeated ep 16
Battle for supremacy.

Let’s Make a Mug Too episode 9 At arms length.

Selection Project episode 9 Goal.

Taisho Otome Fairy Tale episode 8 Guests.

Naruto Spin-Off: Rock Lee and His Ninja Pals episodes 41-51 (Complete. An entertaining spin-off which rarely takes itself seriously and gives focus to characters like Tenten who were overlooked in the main series.) 3.5/5

Naruto (Rewatch)
episodes 1-7

I just (re)subscribed to Netflix and Crunchyroll and got HiDive and Funimation (I also already have Amazon Prime Video included with my Amazon Prime delivery subscription), so (in addition to having the most awful existential crisis when I realized how hard it is to decide what to watch when you have that many options 😅 ), I have watched the following:

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Episodes 1-12 (dubbed) - entertaining and pleasingly bonkers and the dub is wonderful but tbh I preferred the first arc to what I saw of the second (as I understand it, this is not a very popular opinion), for now I will take a break from the series, it may be one of those things that works better, at least for me, if I watch a cour at a time rather than racing through the whole thing in one go?

Adachi and Shimamura Episodes 1-10 (dubbed) - @Dai I can understand why you like this series so much, I got a lot out of it but found it a bit too emotionally painful and relatable, which is good, but maybe not the best thing for me at this point in time. I think when I'm feeling a bit more able to deal with something this bittersweet I will return to it and watch the last two eps, might even read the novels but probably one at a time rather than binging them all in a short period. The dub is also good particularly the leads :)

A Certain Magical Index Episodes ??? (but it was like 3 or 4 I started on episode 5 as I think that's about where I got to with it years ago, dubbed) - I find this entertaining and fun but other things are higher priority esp considering the poor reputation of Season 2 onwards.

Astro Boy (1960 B&W, dubbed) Episode 1 - OK so obviously this is quite dated but I may watch more of it anyway considering it's impressive pedigree and generally good reputation, though I might seek out the 80s series instead as I've heard that that's the best version of Astro Boy. But the 60s series is still pretty neat, though having seen all of Princess Knight it's amazing how much the limited animation techniques for TV and whatnot had come on in those 4 years or so (I would also not be at all surprised if PK had a significantly higher budget per episode, even though I'm well aware that budget is not everything when it comes to the overall quality of animation) :)

Cowboy Bebop (live action) eps 9 & 10 (complete)
Probably best described as fine.
Sets, props, etc. were quite good, music of course was fantastic and I loved this Faye. I can't really remember what I thought of her in the anime, but having watched a rant about all the changes sounds like they sanded off some stuff that I probably wouldn't have liked.
Jet was as I remember, but Spike was a bit more dour playing into the whole plot with his past haunting him being much more in the foreground here than in the background in the anime. Bringing it to the foreground meant having a lot more Vicious who was like a menacing phantom in the anime (from memory he only made 3/4 appearance in a 20 something episode show), but here he is just a whiney edgelord for the most part. Then there's Julia. I thought she was dead in the anime, but the rant mentioned above corrected that. Here she starts as a timid woman trapped with this ******** of a man, but suddenly becomes a mastermind coming up with genius plans and finally shooting both Vicious and Spike and taking over the Syndicate! I don't mind the twist, it makes it it's own thing a bit more, but did feel a little unearned.

Taisho Otome Fairy Tale ep 8
Back to school.

My Senpai is Annoying ep 8
Golden week.

The Aquatope on White Sand ep 21
Runaway.

Nerima Daikon Brothers episodes 1 - 12

Quite a random series, baddie of the week style for the first few episodes before having a random ending. All the songs

Lupin III: Part VI episode 7 Memories fade.

MUTEKING THE Dancing HERO episode 9 Trapped.

My Senpai is Annoying episode 8 Holiday fun.

The Great Jahy Will Not Be Defeated! episode 17 Futon.

World Trigger 3rd Season episode 8 Reluctance.

Naruto (Rewatch) episodes 8-25

Irina: The Vampire Cosmonaut Episode 9

Mieruko-chan Episode 9

Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation 2nd Season Episode 20

My Senpai is Annoying Episode 8

The Great Jahy Will Not Be Defeated! Episode 17

Boruto: Naruto Next Generations episode 226 The victors.

Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba Mugen Train Arc episode 7 Believe. (Complete. A solid arc. I’ll likely eventually check out the original film version too.) 3.5/5

Irina: The Vampire Cosmonaut
episode 9 Apologies.

Mieruko-chan episode 9 House of horrors.

Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation 2nd Season episode 20 Mini maid.

Naruto (Rewatch) episodes 27-44

Aria-The Crepuscolo-what a wonderful surprise! I knew that it was coming out this year but didn't know when. I found out it was released a few months ago so I jumped on it-it was a wonderful final end to this fantastic sol series. A very fond farewell to Akari, Alice, Aika, Alicia and company-thanks for the memories!!

Back