$100 million Dragonball Z movie in production

In terms of story, my guess is that it will loosely follow the first story arc of DBZ aka the "Saiyan Saga". Since it's mostly based on Earth (aside from, you know, Goku training in the after-life and all!), the formula is almost exactly the same as the Transformers movie, right down to how the good aliens protect the planet from the bad aliens.

*imagines*

Oh...god...Imagine a famous actor as Goku.

TOME CRUISE!

XD

Seriously though, if i'll be as good as Transformers, then i'll be happy to watch it. In 4 years hopefully a bleach one could happen, or even...

=O

A Naruto one

:D

Liquid Skin said:
Hmmm i'm pretty sceptical of this to be honest, i mean Transformers kinda worked live-action because CGI looks "realistic" for robots. We still havent quite reached the level (at least i think) to which CGI can make realistic humans.

You're maybe getting confused here, most likely it'll (The Flying scenes) be on a green screen. Or hell, if they want they can do the whole movie on green screen(as in the background).

And, on another board, we brought up the idea of wrestlers being casted ion the film, since they're actors afterall :lol: But I can totally see Nappa being played by Kane.

I can honestly say i really hope this doesnt stay THAT true to the original!

it would rediculous! come on now! having a talking pig and all... hell no!!

If they stuck to the original it wud FLOP! ~

What I would like to see from the movie:
1. set in a modern new york/tokyo esq city with a nice japanese countryside/forest as the beginings
2. some names to go unchanged ala goku, vegeta bulma... yada yada yada but people like professor briefs just not cool!
3. the hair to be toned down but not completly normal... almost like a shockwaves advert lol
4. keep the saiyan history and tails and stuff unchanged

other things that i cant be assed gettin into right now...

Primus said:
You're maybe getting confused here, most likely it'll (The Flying scenes) be on a green screen. Or hell, if they want they can do the whole movie on green screen(as in the background).

ALL on a green screen do you mean? What was that film with only CGI backgrounds? Argh the one with Jude Law, lots of robots and WW2 fighter planes?
Anyways they used CGI in the background all of the time and it looked God awful, it just didnt gel, its ok in small doses but over time it feels really tacky and forced. It doesnt matter if they use CGI in the background or foreground, it just hasnt progressed that far yet, stick to one or the other and only use CGI when you really have to.

What im saying is that i really doubt that they'll do the flying fight scenes live action, they'll probably do the Matrix Revolutions and have rubber fight each other for 20 minutes or have green screen cut to rubber, none of which look particularly nice to be honest.

I think skikes has had the best idea at the mo, if they're going to do a live action DBZ, stay the hell away from the original source, its just gonna cause problems and look tacky to all but the fans.

HoukiBoshi said:
*imagines*

Oh...god...Imagine a famous actor as Goku.

TOME CRUISE!

XD

Seriously though, if i'll be as good as Transformers, then i'll be happy to watch it. In 4 years hopefully a bleach one could happen, or even...

=O

A Naruto one

:D

So goku is going to be really short?

At last, this needed to be made!

I loved DBZ when it was on and still do!

I think a problem with it may be how they could start it off, especially to appeal to new fans who are unfamilar with the series. DBZ kinda started in the middle of the story, with 16 mangas of backstory. I don't see how it could work introducing various taking animals and three eyed flying people without taking up half the film.

Also, how much of the story would they go through. I could see four films covering saiyan/namek-frieza/trunks-cellgames/saiyaman-kidbuu. However what about adding the filler storylines, like when Goku and Piccollo learnt to drive or Broly the Legendary Super Saiyan.

Putting that aside, do you think they could have a rocky style training montage?

Oh i really hope this actually gets made, i'd be really excited to see a hollywood live action adaption of DBZ. Transformers was better than i thought it would be, so hopefully this will be too.
I'd love to see a new anime/manga adaption trend going on in Hollywood. There are lots of things i'd love to see adapted like this

I'm dubious but also intrigued to see what they will pull out of the hat.
But please to god NO wrestlers!
Okay maybe Nappa but seriously thats it.

If they do a Dragon Ball movie based from the early episodes it wont be a good idea since there was buckets of fanservice.

I hope its the saiyan saga from Dragonballz series. I also hope that its stays to its true manga with decent special effects. $100 million is not enough in my opininon but If this is sucessful then I can see them making sequals after this.

Imagine Bill Goldberg (former wcw and wwe wrestler) as Nappa

shh227 said:
If they do a Dragon Ball movie based from the early episodes it wont be a good idea since there was buckets of fancervice.

I hope its the saiyan saga from Dragonballz series. I also hope that its stays to its true manga with decent special effects. $100 million is not enough in my opininon but If this is sucessful then I can see them making sequals after this.

Imagine Bill Goldberg as Nappa

See that could work
But no wrestlers in lead roles plz lol.

In my opinion it would have to be the Saiyan saga as it seems the perfect way to start the movie francise.

I really don't see how this would work. Dragonball films in the past required a little knowledge of the series, and I doubt they will be making a film like the originals. Also the hair will look weird. Though it could be a big hit like spiderman.

Link100p said:
I really don't see how this would work. Dragonball films in the past required a little knowledge of the series, and I doubt they will be making a film like the originals. Also the hair will look weird. Though it could be a big hit like spiderman.

Aye the hair could be a problem lol

What i'm most intrigued about is what age they will market this film at.
If it goes down the Spiderman line and makes a kid friendly action film we're looking at pg to 12a.
But if they aim at a kids market does that mean we're going to lose all the violence and killer fight scenes, lack of blood etc?
I know Spiderman was 12a and featured blood and fight scenes but nothing compared to the constant fighting of DBZ

I don't think violence will be a problem, I mean it's shooting beams out of one's hands, I don't see how anyone could think that's "Damaging" for children.

Back