90s UK anime fan, getting back into it after a break

Mr_Nice_Username

Completely Average High School Student
Hi all! New member here, 41 year old guy, UK anime fan since 1994. Drifted away from anime in the late 2000s for no reason other than life getting in the way - and now trying to make up for lost time again.

My favourites are anything with a silly absurd sense of humour (Bobobo, Excel Saga, Slayers), stylish masterpieces (Lain, Cyber City, Paranoia Agent), 90s classics (Dominion Tank Police, Project A-Ko), and anything related to time travel (Steins;Gate, Your Name, Erased). Lol it was difficult keeping the list as short as that! i want to add Utena, Kare Kano, Giant Robo, Death Note, Blue Giant... okay, I'll stop now.

Music is my other love. Trying to get back into J-Rock. Big fan of X Japan, Gackt, Malice Mizer. I'd love to know about any modern equivalents. Lol if I listed my fave Western bands then it'd stretch a mile, but my top 5 listened to this year are Genesis, Porcupine Tree, Royksopp, All About Eve, and Anathema.

I can only speak about 200 words of Japanese, but I enjoy trying to phonetically memorise Japanese songs to sing at karaoke. Well, you've got to have a hobby, haven't you?

I love chatting with folks all over the world. Nice to meet you all!

Last edited:
Tank Police!!? :oops: That's super cool anime. It's one of my favourites from 90s and 80s years, together with Riding Bean, Gundam and Alice In Cyberland.

Have a nice time here, Mr, and make a lot of new friends!

Tank Police!!? :oops: That's super cool anime. It's one of my favourites from 90s and 80s years, together with Riding Bean, Gundam and Alice In Cyberland.

Have a nice time here, Mr, and make a lot of new friends!
Hello! I rewatched it recently, and I was happy that I still enjoyed it. You never know how these things will hold up. I enjoyed how over the top it was - like how a new rookie cop takes barely one episode to become totally corrupted by the system.

It's also a rare anime where I much prefer the soundtrack that they made for the Western market. Same with Cyber City Oedo 808.

I rewatched it recently, and I was happy that I still enjoyed it.
I understand. Old animes never stop being interesting, unlike the new ones that are coming. For the new animes, the manga artists have no idea how to make a good story that catches people's interest.
It's also a rare anime where I much prefer the soundtrack that they made for the Western market.
I like the soundtracks from absolutely every anime, because I don't look specifically on this, I look on the story, animation, voice actors, etc.

Back