A new way of interacting with Anime UK News .. ? Exciting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
I'm currently working on a rather large addition to Anime UK News; it's kinda like "MySpace" in that you get a public profile (see URL below) in which people can read about your tastes, preferences in anime etc...

http://www.animeuknews.net/user/2/Paul/

Of course, you will all get a URL and profile like this. It's powered by your forum profile but obviously, you can add some extra things to it as well (see the URL above for what I mean; there are questionaires, favourite anime lists etc). If you're logged into the forum, you're logged into the site. I've totally interwoven this with your forum accounts.

Also- this new feature enables you to do a few new cool things with the main site- like "bookmarking" forthcoming DVD releases so you can essentially follow your own personal release schedules.

This feature basically opens up another "dimension" to Anime UK News and I was wondering if there is anything you'd like to see added. I'm considering doing a "friends list" so that you can inter-link between profiles of your bestest buddies- but after that, I'll be out of ideas.

I'm just fishing for suggestions and comments really. Let me know what you think. If you'd like to see more features like the "bookmark a release" one, just shout up and I'll stick it on my list! :)

A top 10 list of fave anime might be better than a singe choice if, like me, you're views change with your mood! I'm assuming you're 'ratings' are based on what you add to the comments section of the reviews...?

Overall though it gives a great at-a-glance view of what everyone's watching and what they'd recommend. Good luck with the coding for it! :)

I really like it ^_^ I agree with ConcreteBadger Top 10 list would be better, as my chpoices change everytime I see something new ^.^;;

XxNeko-FeixX said:
I really like it ^_^ I agree with ConcreteBadger Top 10 list would be better, as my chpoices change everytime I see something new ^.^;;

Yep totally agree with that, its impossible to choose a number 1 fave

Could you do it so that we could put up say, the latest 2 or 3 rss feeds of a chosen site.
Obviously, you would have to limit it so that certain people don't get carried away and put 3 billion up, but a number of us have blogs and it would be quite good to be able to show the feeds of the latest strories.

I am hoping you are not thinking of adding a messaging system like mySpace, and if so, I would like the opprtunity to not take part, or only allow people I allow (who won't spam up the place) access. I think with the forum and PM system, there should be no need though.

And will there be a size constraint. I don't want to have to scroll through someones page, because they have loads of questionaires they have done. I would be suprised if anyone is interested anyway.

And limit the number of anime people can rate and show on that page. Guaranteed someone is going to turn it into "how big is my anime penis" otherwise.

Thanks for all the comments so far- they are proving very useful. I'm hopeful of launching this new feature within the next 7 days :)

Ideas
- Top 10 anime
- Top 10 manga
- Friends List
- Personalised RSS feeds*

* Long-term. Will be included with "v2". Such a system will require a bit of extra thought.

I had considered (and half coded) a messaging / shoutbox system for each profile but stopped when I realised how much work and how much moderating this would take. It's something I may add in the future.

Keep the comments coming, it's great getting other perspectives on this.

I'm not sure how easy this would be to impliment but what about the option of a PM/e-mail notification on the release dates for the release schedule? i.e. on the day of a bookmarked release, an automated PM is sentto remind you. I *think* it's possible to do, assuming there would be the demand for it.

On a related note, the profile page would be a good place for a sign-up option for the newsletter as and when we get the time to get it up and running. I agree that a mesaging system isn't really necessary what with phpBB's a tried and tested PM system though - there's a lot of hard work highlighted in this thread already!

Yeah - I've been thinking about "release alerts" for a long time... It would be pretty hard to code though, so that's another thing marked down for 'v2'.

Also on my mind is a "points system", where by people who contribute to the site through forum posts, review comments etc get access to exclusive competitions and such.

Incidently, I've pretty much finished coding a lot of this:

http://www.animeuknews.net/user/418/_Original_Angel_/
http://www.animeuknews.net/user/2/Paul/
http://www.animeuknews.net/user/78/ConcreteBadger/

We now have working top 10 anime (easy to update / change), top 10 manga and finally- "friends list" too. So interlinking between profiles is easy.

One of the up-sides of all this "on-site" stuff is that it requires people to register an account / log-in on the forums. Inevitably I'm hoping this will lead to even more people posting here :)

Very nice Paul :D hopefully this idea will, as you say, bring in more people to the forums. would be great to see more and more people on here

Sweeeeeeeet dude, am looking forward to getting my page so I can have a play with it, I'm gonna have to start thinking about what I'm gonna put there.... ooooooh decisions decisions

I think the Bookmarked UK DVD releases in our profile should have the closest to release date at the top instead of the bottom.

It's great, makes AUKN more interactive. <3

But uh... mods can only add people to their friends list, correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back