A Revolutionary New Controller

Do you like the Nintendo Revolution's controller so far?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mutsumi

Guild Member
The Nintendo Revolution's Controller Don't judge it by looks alone, as it is like no controller you'll have seen before.

September 15, 2005 - The Tokyo Game Show 2005 is an event that won't soon be forgotten by Nintendo fans. The company's president, Satoru Iwata, used his anticipated keynote speech as a forum to publicly unveil the top-secret controller for the Big N's next-generation console, still codenamed Revolution. The device has been the subject of overzealous speculation ever since Nintendo revealed that it would provide the so-called "revolutionary" element to its vision of gaming in the future. And indeed, one look at the peripheral is all it takes to know that the Iwata and company have something very unconventional on their hands, literally.

The Revolution's main peripheral, shaped like a stylized remote control, acts like a quasi-virtual wand. Motion sensors packed with the unit are placed atop the player's television screen and the device's every movement is ready and interpreted in the games. The pointer, as we've dubbed it, can influence positioning, targeting, depth and motion in Revolution software. Meanwhile, secondary attachments such as an analog stick can be plugged in for added functionality in tomorrow's hit Nintendo titles.
By now, readers have undoubtedly gleaned all the details about the controller from Iwata's keynote speech and have likewise combed over our hands-on impressions of the device. But even so, it's hard to imagine exactly how the peripheral will function without actually seeing it interact with and direct next-generation games. It is with this thought firmly in mind that we've set out to apply everything we know about the way the controller functions to practical game scenarios and environments. We think readers will be excited by the possibilities.
Taken from IGN.

Opinions on this magical Nintendo device?

I like it. While it may be more than a little unconventional, I believe it can really be put to good use. I have great faith in Nintendo, as they have time & time again been the first to implement technologies in computer gaming contollers; the first to use d-pads, shoulder buttons, analogue sticks, touch screens, & not this. While motion sensors have been tried previously by other companies, Nintendo are the first to take it to such a level. I also look forward to seeing how the controller will be expanded, given the inclusion of an expansion port. I believe this will be another great success for Nintendo.

Hmmmmm... I am not sure...

In some ways it looks amazing and could do great things but it does look a little like a DVD remote with an extra bit stuck to it.

I am not sure whether I like it or I don't...

I think it's good that they're trying to make gameplay more intuitive. They're trying to simplify the way we play games, not the games themselves, and I'm all for that. The ludicrouse number of buttons a new person is expected to get to grips with on a console controller doesn't help anyone getting into gaming. Assuming they implement this well in the games, it promises to be far more intuitive. So I guess I'm all for it.

Since the beginning of Gaming time, there has been the phenomenon of "Girly Steering" i.e. the Action of tilting the controller for some percieved benefit. All they're doing is capitalising on the mainstream's natural instinct to tilt the controller. I say it's a good idea, as much as I hate Nintendo's pretentiously naming their console "Revolution".

Finally the controller has been shown, i must admit i like the idea, i am not so sure how it will work though. Well i just have to wait and find out. it looks as if it may take a bit of getting used to but it may be easier to use than it looks. The other thing about it is that this wasn't the design i was actually expecting as there was originally so much specualtion about what it was meant to do and look like.

Now fangirls and boys, 'Ninty' aka Nintendo tries to be innovative but their design is anything but inspired. It's just a glorified remote control!
I always thought the Nintendo controllers were crap and this one is no exception, it doesn't look it will be very comfortable either. How are we supposed to play fighting games on that?
*looks at her DVD remote control and looks at the so called 'Revolution', sees no difference!*
________
HERBAL SHOP

Theres going to be a normal design controller for which the remote slots into, also about what you said about nintendos controllers being crap the R and L button on the gamecube are THE best buttons on any videogames controller, they're awesome!

kupoartist said:
You're supposed to wave it around like a sword and hit people with it. An awesome idea in theory at least...

Nintendo are not known for their good fighting games so it's probably not that important. However, fighting games require precise movement of the qtr circle forward type movements. I highly doubt it's going to work.
Lol waving around a controller is too much effort on this gamer!

I'll be sticking to the Xbox 360 and PS3, 'Ninty' can have their VR DVD controller. It's going to be a make or break for Nintendo, it will be the latter if they don't watch out.
________
JAGUAR MARK VIII

Ramen89 said:
Nintendo are not known for their good fighting games so it's probably not that important.

Super Smash Brothers anyone?

i agree..and Soul Calibur 2, anyone forgot that? and the nintendo controllers are not bad in any way, in fact the SNES controller, yes some time ago now since they came out, they were good, as good if not better than the Mega Drives controller.

My first impressions were that it was just "eww, a stupid idea" then I read on and thought "hmm, it might work". I'm not sure if I like it or not, I'll have to have a go to decide. I really liked the 'Cube's controler because it felt nice in your hands but it wasn't put together very well. :S

it's definitely interesting. having the analogue stick as a separate unit might make it feel a bit more natural for left-handed freaks such as myself, but i'm not sure whether the public at large will embrace it with open arms or write it off as weird. it looks a bit too much like a regular TV remote though so i don't know how it will feel to hold after several hours of use (the Gamecube controller is really comfortable).

overall i think it's a pretty cool idea and i'm really looking forward to the Revolution when it comes out.

As i've said to everyone who has doubts, just imagine playing Zelda with this and controlling the fighting. Thats enough for anyone to have reason to buy it. 8)

I really don't like it, it seems complicated and awkward, to much so for a games consol i think, where you just want to play with a comfortable, easy controller.
The only controller i really like so far is just the basic Playstation controler, all others seem to uncomfortable, or too cumbersome, like the Xbox controller

Charter_Mage said:
I really don't like it, it seems complicated and awkward, to much so for a games consol i think, where you just want to play with a comfortable, easy controller.
The only controller i really like so far is just the basic Playstation controler, all others seem to uncomfortable, or too cumbersome, like the Xbox controller

i would disagree, aside from the Atari Jaguar controller, the playstation controller has always been the worst controller i have ever used.

And as people forget, there are 4 game cube controller slots on it, so use that if you want to, you'll just be missing out on the only thing that is 'next generation' about these consoles save better graphics (which in my opinion, doesn't mean anything now until we reach photo realistic)

Back