ADV Films license new Shinkai movie 5cm Per Second

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
<a href="http://www.icv2.com/articles/home/10791.html">According to ICv2</a>, ADV Films have licensed "5cm Per Second: A Chain of Short Stories About Their Distance", the latest cinematic anime movie from auteur Makoto Shinkai, who has over the last decade has built himself a solid reputation as an upcoming director; his most notable previous movies are "Voices of a Distant Star" and "The Places Promised In Our Early Days" (both of which are out on UK DVD). Interestingly, Shinkai animated "Voices of a Distant Star" by himself, using only his Mac computer.

"5cm Per Second..." recycles the dramatic romance and loneliness that flows through his previous work, but takes a notably more realistic approach to the setting (it's based in modern day Japan, rather than a far flung future). Obviously, a UK DVD release for this is now fairly likely, considering all of Shinkai's other movies have been released the world over by ADV.

Excellent news! I can't say I'm surprised at the announcement given ADV's work on Voices and Place Promised but it's still great to have a DVD release on the horizon. Part #1 of 5cm had eye-wateringly beautiful artwork and real emotional clout on the story too - as much as it revisits past themes, Shinkai represents the future of anime for me. This is something to REALLY look forward to.

Ever since seeing the trailer I've wanted this more than anything else, thank you ADV, looks like the most beautiful animation ever.

If anyone is going to be considered the next Miyazaki it will most likely be this guy.
Possibly the best "looking" anime Ive ever seen.

Back