ADV pack off ther Bento Box DVDs to hungry fans in the UK

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
Mimicking their US counter-parts, ADV are trying something new in the UK to promote their anime DVDs - their "Bento Box" DVD release will contain four episodes from four different series; Area 88, Cromartie High School, Get Backers and Gilgamesh. Out on the 16th of October, it only costs £5.99 and should provide a great new way for people to preview anime before making a larger investment in long TV series.

You would think they would have put in the first episodes.

I would have bought it to check out Gilgamesh but I'd rather see it from episode one if I did watch it.

I've seen upto episode 10 of Gilgamesh and can tell you that you won't ruin anything by watchng episode 6. It's a very slow series and episode 6 is probably the most action packed Gilgamesh has been so far, visually it really shows off what the series is capable of.

Get Backers - Episode 9: Early on GB is fairly episodic so I wouldn't be surprised if this is a self contained mission. The same applies with Cromartie High School: Episode 9, the series is mostly full of bizarre sketches with no continuing story.

so........... ADV are just trying their own version of the "ultimate box sets" we've been getting in otherwords

sept with less hentai...... that can only be good :)

Not a bad idea, but it would be much better with the first episodes. The episode selection seems a bit random. Can't say I'm insanely interested in any of the series in this selection though, so I'll pass.

Espy said:
Not a bad idea, but it would be much better with the first episodes. The episode selection seems a bit random.

yeah a little too random in my opinion i mean i wouldn't see many people want to buy this if they think that its half way through a series, as people have said it would have been much better had it been the first eps

Paul said:
Get Backers - Episode 9: Early on GB is fairly episodic so I wouldn't be surprised if this is a self contained mission.
There weren't many self-contained stories in the first series of GetBackers. Episode 9 is part of a two part story so probably the next best thing. It does seem a rather random choice.

I don't know about other people, but i've always been the type of person to stay away from this type of box set. I know 'why' they are produced, but they just seem like a waste of time to me. :?

I don't know why :? but if there's a series i'm interested in, I tend to buy the first disk instead. I feel you can get more of a sense for the series from the first few episodes than you can from some single random episode. Admitedly, yes, this route tends to be more expensive, but you do have more control over what you get to watch, and you get to watch it in the right order.

But having said that, if this new compilation gets even one new person into anime, then it can't be all bad. :p

Back