ADV UK asking you what you want

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
ADV UK are currently running a survey on their website asking you what anime you would like to see released on DVD in the UK! There are four options included in the poll; Saiyuki, Peacemaker, GantZ and Madlax.

So get over to their website now and have your say; you never know, it may result in one of these new series being released in the UK!

Saiyuki, as I'm really enjoying the manga at this point. I bought the first DVD for a friend in the vain hope that once he'd watched it, I could borrow it. 6 months later he still hasn't watched it.

I was half tempted by Madlax, although I haven't seen enough of it to warrent a vote.

GantZ is damn awesome (I read the manga, its better) but I voted for Saiyuki instead because in america GantZ is only 2 episodes a disc!

Saiyuki, though i want them all to come out :p

(and if ADV UK could get the Geneon licensed Saiyuki Reload series taht would be good as well)

Seems like Saiyuki is a popular choice. Must admit I've heard very little about it- any good?

I watched the first 5 or 6 episodes of Peace Maker during it's fansub run and ended up losing interest. For a samurai show, it's very light hearted and kiddy (though I heard it finishes with a bang).

Looking forward to hearing the results for this, looks like every anime on that list will be in with a fair chance.

Saiyuki is an anime loosely based on the Asian myth of "Journey to the West" (in Japanese, saiyuki). It stars four characters, Sanzo, Goku, Goyjo and Hakkai who are basically ultra-bishounen. It's in a very episodic format; the storyline only really hits strongly at the end. It's not bad, but not really exceptional because the message of the show seems to be how cool Sanzo is as a sinful but sacred high priest, and a lot of the series follows the format of arriving somehwere, meaning someone, a fight scene and the rescue of or revelation about the previously meet characters. It does have some really good character designs though.

As much as the concept of Madlax is intriging, I don't know enough about the quality of the anime to vote for it, and Peacemaker would be great in a world without a certain long running samurai series. What little I've seen of GantZ was interesting, so I'll give it my vote.

Ramen89 said:
I'm sure all of those series will be released by ADV at some point anyway its probably just a choice of priority for ADV.
Most probably. As i said id like to see all 4 released over here, not one or two :p (though GantZ had better be a 6-7 dvd release not 13, but enough beating around that bush)

Maybe Madlax is a miss, then.

Also, I think the UK anime market is too small for a two-ep per DVD release to be worth the while. That and we're generally more unaccepting than the US.

Ramen89 said:
Yep and GantZ isnt just a 13 dvd series, thats just the first series.

No, the US release of GantZ is 13 DVDs over 26 episodes. There are only 26 episodes of the series.

If it did come out over here, I doubt we would have to worry much about the disc count anyway. Austrailia's release has been confirmed as being 6/7 discs, so it sounds like it's just ADV US who are forcing the issue. I'm more worried about what the BBFC will make of it! :)

GantZ: The first stage was 13 episodes, the second season was also 13 episodes. It has now stopped in Japan-- Gonzo made up their own original ending (competely different to the manga) and the anime has officially ended with 26 episodes.

I know the manga is miles ahead, I've been reading it (and enjoying it) too :) It's my favourite manga series, alongside Beck and Berserk.

Back