All the latest news from LONDON EXPO here as it happens

Dave said:
Its damn frustrating that ONE PIECE is still not licensed. I still give Manga the chance to license ONE PIECE until at least its worthwhile importing with a decent currency exchange rate.

While moe isn't your thing or mine most of the time mine, kanon is well received series with it rated 19 best anime on anime new network link. Still the selection of title Manga is licensing is getting a lot better. They seem to be stoped licensing average series like Mar or Jyu-Oh-Sei which can only be a good thing.

Not sure if Durarara is the biggest licenses announced at the EXPO, I have never even heard about it until recently. I guess the biggest license honour would go to either Eden of the east or Bacanno.
the problem is, you can condense all of the best bits of Kanon into one 10 minute youtube clip. The rest of the time the characters are acting like there's a recession on INT scores and it's Kyon's adventure through dumbass land.

Eden and Bacanno are awesome, but Durara is the best because it even rips the rug from under Funimation, who would be set to release that series in the US.

Durial666 said:
I remember seeing on Mangas Twitter that France do not have the license. It's just Toei Animation being stingy and asking for lots of money for the license.
And yet they go around getting Kanon. Priorities are somewhat skewed methinks.

stuart-says-yes said:
ConanThe3rd said:
Durial666 said:
I remember seeing on Mangas Twitter that France do not have the license. It's just Toei Animation being stingy and asking for lots of money for the license.

As long as we get them in the end, Im not worried about what gets licensed and released first.
Define "End" here. The way it's oging, there's more chance of Duke Nukem Forever geting a release than a PAL R1 of One Piece.

Imo i think MANGA have left it to late.

The dvds arent that expensive to import i usually get them for £17.99 which is just a bit more than say the naruto dvds they've been putting out.

I'm assuming from other forums i go on that people weren't expecting OP to be released here ever and decided to just import.

And the majority of the people who have importanted will carry on to do so even if they do manage to get the rights. because there not going to wait for manga to catch up and like myself some people like consistancy.

Tho i would like them to bring over the Movies so i can get Blu ray versions.
Tho if MANGA did manage to get it i would love for them to try get it on tv.

ConanThe3rd said:
Durial666 said:
Yup they should be after Angel Beats or Clannad instead. Kanon is fairly cliche now. Although it is with FUNi which would also make it easier for them.

In reference to the hate, the work a bad genre comes into existence to copy probably isn't itself bad. Just because you hate generic magical girlfrend shows doesn't make Ah My Goddess bad. Kanon is gerneraly liked by moe-indifferent fans, it's still a well executed if cliche romance story (or rather 5) if you remove the moe elements.
I do still think it's Key's weakest work, focuses too much on character ticks (they all have: catchphrase, fav food, differnt personality type, different clothing) most of which is worked into the plot.

We do have a near complete lack of that type of show, have any "moe shows*" been released here? Having one of the best wouldn't be too problematic.
*meaning that it's the main basis of the show

ConanThe3rd said:
Humbug to your disinclinations. I raised my arms for joy when hearing this news. I'd never have expected that local moe adherents would soon be able to feed their need without requiring the services of the USPS. I even quizzed Jerome about the possibility of more.

kippy666 said:
Does anyone know if there will anymore Licenses announced during the weekend or is that all for now?
Just the one panel saddly, most stuff just gets announced on twitter these days anyway.

Reaper gI said:
kippy666 said:
Does anyone know if there will anymore Licenses announced during the weekend or is that all for now?
Just the one panel saddly, most stuff just gets announced on twitter these days anyway.
On twitter? It looks to complicated for me to understand! lol

But if that's where all the announcements are then I'll have to go on there more. Thanks!!

Jayme said:
It's where most news breaks now actually. It's pretty awesomesauce for that stuff.

I can see why! So I'm stalking everyone involved with publishing anime and manga on there! Mawhaha!

ConanThe3rd said:
the problem is, you can condense all of the best bits of Kanon into one 10 minute youtube clip. The rest of the time the characters are acting like there's a recession on INT scores and it's Kyon's adventure through dumbass land.

Eden and Bacanno are awesome, but Durara is the best because it even rips the rug from under Funimation, who would be set to release that series in the US.

You could be very well right about Kanon as I have never watched it to argue against it. But it still a very popular show which would sell well even with so many people loathing the series. Something like for example Naruto TV series is not that well received by a lot of anime fans but is still no question MANGA biggest selling anime series they have ever released.

You have to wait to see how well Durarara!! does when it is released before judging if it such massive gain for them. If it was such massive show to get surely some USA company would have picked it up before BEEZ has done? It could also spectacularly backfire for BEEZ if they about to release over here only for it be announced for USA release with English DUB planned.

Dave said:
ConanThe3rd said:

You could be very well right about Kanon as I have never watched it to argue against it. But it still a very popular show which would sell well even with so many people loathing the series. Something like for example Naruto TV series is not that well received by a lot of anime fans but is still no question MANGA biggest selling anime series they have ever released.

You have to wait to see how well Durarara!! does when it is released before judging if it such massive gain for them. If it was such massive show to get surely some USA company would have picked it up before BEEZ has done? It could also spectacularly backfire for BEEZ if they about to release over here only for it be announced for USA release with English DUB planned.
If Durara fails and Kanon success here, then, frankly something is wrong on a fundamental level with this fandom.

Also, as a fan of Seto No Hanayome, Funimation can say they'll get a show and plan to dub it, but it could take upwards of two years before they do anything with it and that's to say nothing of the time it's going to take for a UK release if Kanon is Manga's idea of a good time.

Zin5ki said:
ConanThe3rd said:
If Durara fails and Kanon success here, then, frankly something is wrong on a fundamental level with this fandom.
Those inclined to hate shall partake in their hating forthwith, my friend.
I will openly admit to hating Kanon and all of the Ilk of Key. I will also admit to hating Kyoto Animation for all their utter nonsense since 2006 (07 was sort of ok given lucky star) and for the utter crime that was Endless Eight and I will admit to hating Moe for the crime of suck.

Is there a show that has Moe and is good? Sure (Azumanga Daioh comes to mind in an instant), but that show is sure as hell not Kanon, Clanad or K-On.

ConanThe3rd said:
Is there a show that has Moe and is good? Sure (Azumanga Daioh comes to mind in an instant), but that show is sure as hell not Kanon, Clanad or K-On.
Actually AD and K-on! are prety close; both 4-koma, characters the same age, all girls, no fanservice (well AD has a little), pleanty of slice of life type things (going to freinds houses, shopping etc.)
All shows that contain humanoid characters have some degree of moe.
EVA, CCS, FMA (to fujoshi), Nanoha A's (if you like super robot wars), could name basicaly anything but, those are generaly considered good and contain tons of moe.

I like a lot of typicaly moe inducing shows and I dislike K-on! (I believe the only reason to watch it is due to moe to one of the chara, then block out the entire rest of the show from your mind), and think Kanon has aged now (it is 12 years old and it shows). I still like Key stuff, their music is great and they do at least have an overarching plot. No one likes the start of the Clannad anime, it's the actual afterstory arc that's good (from about episode 8-10 of second season). Also insert coment about comedy series not translating well.

The whole idea of Japanese humor not translating is BS, Haruhi for example is halerious often because of how brazen it is ("I'll just say all of you geeks ganged up on her and [beep]'d her!").

Key stuff cheeses me off on the fundamental level. Aw, lookit those girls who have the IQ of Primary Schoolers (being generous with that), mouths that are far too high up the face and precisely one trait and one vocal pattern to them oh suddenly we done kill or in process of kill them. Isn't that sad? lookit the sad girls in the snow and feel this false feeling of brotherly love so say us corperate overlords.

Doesn't fly with me unless it's being used to point out how wrong a situation is (Higurashi, Mahoromatic S2 and Umineko which uses Moe to show that a girl is completely FUBAR'D mentally)

Shows like Nanoha and CSS might have moe elements to them but by the time Nanoha is using her boomstick to boom stuff, it's clear that Moe isn't the forefront of the situation.

And Eva's just f**ked on a base level.

ConanThe3rd said:
Dave said:
ConanThe3rd said:

Also, as a fan of Seto No Hanayome, Funimation can say they'll get a show and plan to dub it, but it could take upwards of two years before they do anything with it and that's to say nothing of the time it's going to take for a UK release if Kanon is Manga's idea of a good time.

The reason Durara could fail is that it has no English voice track while a very likely USA release could have English DUB. With the massive cost for English voice track cost to be produced, I have heard a figure of $300,000 dollar mentioned for 26 part series in the past. It must bring enough sales to make it worthwhile to do.

As Durara has already been licensed. The question is why Kanon is likely license and Sgt. Frog is not and their some quite obvious reason why.

With kanon only between 12-24 episodes vary on version picked its less of risk to licenses than the ongoing Sgt frog which is 315 episodes and counting.

Kanon is self contained show while Sgt frog is a lot Japanese comedy that does not translate that well into English DUB and jokes referencing anime which would go over the head of a casual anime fan. I would personally love to see Gintama make it over here but I have to be realistic and knowing that a lot of fans wouldn't get it because of all the anime references.

I wouldn't describe it that their something wrong with fandom just that they haven't had the chance to experience all the delights from Japan. If had selfish choice now I would instantly swap all Naruto & Bleach for Hunter X Hunter & One Piece anime to be released over here.

ConanThe3rd said:
Key stuff cheeses me off on the fundamental level. Aw, lookit those girls who have the IQ of Primary Schoolers (being generous with that), mouths that are far too high up the face and precisely one trait and one vocal pattern to them oh suddenly we done kill or in process of kill them. Isn't that sad? lookit the sad girls in the snow and feel this false feeling of brotherly love so say us corperate overlords.

They switched character designer for a reason :p, she hasn't been lead since 2005. Low IQ I agree with, for Kanon certainly, Nayuki (she's just a ditz), Ayu and Makoto are all dopey as anything. Be it for the later two there is reason, and you are suposed to realise something is up. Shiori, Kaori, Sayuri and Mai don't have that problem. Every route has a character with a mental problem in it, mostly depressive withdrawal; a few having messed up IQ seems right in that context.

Having characters speak differntly helps distinguish the speaker, remeber it's originaly text based, especially in the flashback/dream bits where it's the only way you can tell who's speaking. Same way manga write characters in different font, or use differnt styles of speach bubble for differnt people in conversation.

It's only realy Kanon that has that problem. Clannad has some of the cleaverest (or at least academic) female characters in it. Most of them have a degree (at least) post timeskip in afterstory. Only Fuko acts childish, and she has realistic problems (not the astral projection bit, the messed up social interactions etc. her sister talks about).

The shows I mentioned are all most definatly moe shows as well. How the hell is A's not moe the bad guy is a wheelchair bound terminaly ill grade schooler, or a pair of catgirls for hecks sake, also crazy high Saimoe rankings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back