Am I not a bit old for this sort of thing...?

Jimi-Jam

Dandy Guy, in Space
Perhaps not, the jury is still out...in any case, as I'm fast discovering, I’m sure I don’t need to convince any of you that anime has a lot more to offer than mere 'kids cartoons'

Anyway, a welcome hello to anyone listening, I'm Jim - 32, hoping to share some views/opinions/thoughts/joy with any/some fellow anime fans, maybe learn a thing or two.

Bit of a latecomer to this whole anime thing - got hooked a few months ago after semi-randomly renting a copy of Samurai Champloo and thought - I have to get myself more of this stuff!

I think the unconscious seed was actually planted in my childhood with the likes of Battle-of-the-Planets and Ulysses 31 - I only found out recently that they were actually Japanese animations.
My conscious awareness of anime/manga probably came with the first matrix film, and the whole Ghost-in-the-Shell influence carry-on. Seeing Spirited Away at the cinema a number of years ago further added to my curiosity, plus Film4's recent airing of the Ghibli studio collection was enough to trigger me into taking the plunge properly.

I've since been trying to make up for lost time; scoured the web for knowledge, read dvd reviews, made some judicious use of YouTube and have now filled up my amazon dvd rental list with all things Anime.

Sampled a reasonable mix so far with stuff such as FMP?-Fumoffu, Gunslinger Girl, Excel Saga, Gantz, Cowboy Bebop, Chobits, GITS-SAC.
I find myself surprisingly charmed by the likes of Fruits Basket and Azumanga Daioh - just doesn't seem quite right for someone my age to so captivated by the antics of Japanese school girls - oh well - can only look forward to countering the fluff with a good dose of horror and violence I've heard about in the likes of Elfen Lied - like nothing if not variety.

Bit a about myself:
Feel like I've been fumbling around for the last 10 years since becoming a disillusioned engineering graduate, had a number of different jobs but still trying to find my metaphorical feet in life. Now find myself with the unlikely ambition of becoming successful Foreign Currency Trader - all from the comfort of my home PC - hoping (praying!) to get the better of it and manage to earn a living from it. Have been forced to reside back with my parents up in West Yorks whilst I sort things out, had been living down in Bath for a number of years and fancy potentially moving back when I manage to pull off my plan for world domination.

I'm a big music fan in many of its varied forms, play guitar sporadically, enjoy reading good books, fiction and non-fiction, finding and watching interesting films, Japanese/Chinese included obviously, general fascination with Japanese culture and society.

Think I've probably said enough already.
See you around…

Hello and welcome to the forums (great intro too)
Anyway I know someone who is 40 and an anime fan so your not too old for it. Anime is for all ages ^^

Dude I didn't see one mention of you complaining about kids playing on your lawn or bus fares being too high so your definately NOT old.

Anime is for all ages, welcome to the site.

Hi! and welcome ^__^

Age is irrelevant when it comes to watching anime! I've been a fan for 14 years, but just because I'll be 40 in a few weeks, doesn't mean I'd suddenly class myself as "too old" to watch anime, so you don't need to worry about age; just enjoy it for what it is :mrgreen:

Too old for this sort of thing? Its you who decides whether you're "too old" for animè. Don't let society dictate (too much) about these things.

Trust me to get all deep about it!

Hi by the way. You'll soon learn to hate me as I try and explain things more deeply than the norm! lol

Thx for all your welcome-s

I managed to find the "how old are you all?" thread - so now i know roughly where i stand now!
Nice to know there at least a few of us at these lofty levels of 'maturity' - and one or two above :wink:

Found a nice quote from an 'older' anime fan in the ANN forum:
"I always tell people anime isn't for someone who hasn't grown up, it's for anyone who hasn't grown old."

I think anime is great for feeding our imaginations - maybe its not too wide of the mark to suggest we are indeed ageless in our imagination.

McIcy said:
Dude I didn't see one mention of you complaining about kids playing on your lawn or bus fares being too high so your definately NOT old.

Hold the phone there, I'm 20 and I shout at kids playing on my lawn and bus fares being too high. I even occasionally comment on how much I hate the local school kids around town/on the bus/trying to mug me on the way home/asking for cigarettes off me when they are obviously 12.

Popster said:
McIcy said:

Hold the phone there, I'm 20 and I shout at kids playing on my lawn and bus fares being too high. I even occasionally comment on how much I hate the local school kids around town/on the bus/trying to mug me on the way home/asking for cigarettes off me when they are obviously 12.

I too complain about kids on my lawn. However, they do also believe that there is a vampire living in our basement... kids are silly :lol: And as for Bus fare. THEY ARE TOO HIGH!

Oh, and welcome too.

Jimi-Jam said:
I think anime is great for feeding our imaginations - maybe its not too wide of the mark to suggest we are indeed ageless in our imagination.
I find watching anime keeps my mind young! and age is a state of mind (and a knackering of body :lol: ) anyway.
At least you know now you're not alone in your adage :wink:

Hey there, i'm a bit late with my welcome, but welcome all the same:). And there certainly arn't any age limits on anime, my mums a huge anime fan(including everything from Fruits Basket to Samurai Champloo), and shes got 10 years on the older members of this forum ;)

Charter_Mage said:
...my mums a huge anime fan(including everything from Fruits Basket to Samurai Champloo)
Sounds like your mum has good taste :wink:

A late thanks to the late welcomes - nice to be amoungst some friendly people - maybe I'll get to know some of you a little if I hang around long enough.

Think I'm in the process of shaking off the brainwashing received from years of western 'kids cartoons' - I'm finding age becomes largely irrelevant when you get lost in some good anime - it makes for great escapism.

Back