AMV.org hit with legal problems

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
The popular anime music video's website AnimeMusicVideos.org has run into legal problems after an unnamed record label (which represents US bands like Evanescence) issued the website with a cease & desist order, leading to the removal of at least 2000 anime music videos from their online archive. [<a href="http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=7837">ANN article</a>]

I'm not too familiar with copyright laws, but shouldn't that fall under 'fair use'?

I'd rant, but anyone who visits /. on a regular basis probably knows how I feel about organisations like the RIAA. :mrgreen:

I'm not a huge watcher of anime music videos to any extent; I think I've seen about four in total, and none for about six months. Yet it is clear that a large number of people do, and this is obviously unfortunature for them. The motivation behind this however, is clear - what is to stop someone downloading an AMV of a song, then never bothering to purchase the song or respective album - but I'd assume AMVs cause minimum impact on the music industry, and certainly less than many file sharing websites and providers. The internet itself has so much illegal content on that it could be considered a black market, but taking AMVs down benefits no-one; who's to say someone isn't going to buy a CD based on an AMV, as many do based on anime? Anyone who has made such a video has seen their labour of love taken down, which isn't particularly pleasant.

On another note, if the record label represents such dire US bands as Evanesance, I can see about 70% of AMVs being taken down. :p

WTFDaveMustaine said:
Oh wait it's only videos with music from songs by Evanescence, Creed, and Seether. No big loss then. :)

Well, the music may be abhorant, but it's still true that some people spent hours making them; i'd say the people who are at loss here are those who spent time creating the AMVs.

Oh wait it's only videos with music from songs by Evanescence, Creed, and Seether. No big loss then.

yeah half my friggin video's gone

i swear one i'm gonna beat up whoever makes these rulings

its not like we're using the video for money

Ryo Chan said:
Oh wait it's only videos with music from songs by Evanescence, Creed, and Seether. No big loss then.

yeah half my friggin video's gone

i swear one i'm gonna beat up whoever makes these rulings

its not like we're using the video for money

But in the view of the company involved, you are preventing them from making more money, regardless of whether it is actually true or not.

And Videl: If those were half of your videos, it's hardly a big loss. Think of it as a new beginning...welcome to music.

It is a shame to those who have spent lots of time to make amv's and are having to get rid of them but like Chomo says it gives everyone a chance to explore more music other than just Evanescence and Creed

Many AMVs are rubbish, but have 20+ videos that I love. Some of the people who author these things are capable of becoming real film editors; the effort and talent is there for all to see. Obviously, it's not a particularly big loss that we won't be seeing as many Evanescence videos but it's worrying to think that this could alert other dumb labels to AMV.org and basically send the AMV scene underground. Like fansubs, AMVs exist in a moral grey area; technically, it's breaking the law but some things are worth taking the risk- this stuff is by the fans, for the fans and by stifling it, these record companies are ultimately aiding their own downfalls.

Paul said:
Obviously, it's not a particularly big loss that we won't be seeing as many Evanescence videos but it's worrying to think that this could alert other dumb labels to AMV.org and basically send the AMV scene underground.

Agreed, it could be a very bad sign for AMV's in general. This is really one of those wait and see issue's we just have to hope that other labels aren't as uptight about AMV's and that this will be an isolated incident.

On the other hand it could have been seen as a positive for these artists and record labels. Hearing samples of their music may encourage would be fans to want more of it, or buy more of it?

To be honest I think it was only a matter of time before this happened and like others have said it may spark off other companies to crack down too.

A shame really, but I suppose the "damage" has been done so to speak. The best videos have been downloaded hundreds of times so people have probably already seen them and have them saved to their hard drive!

WTFDaveMustaine said:
Oh wait it's only videos with music from songs by Evanescence, Creed, and Seether. No big loss then. :)

true, it may be a small percentage, but its still unfair on the people who put time and effort into making them.

i dont see the problem that this reccord lable has with music videos like this, most of them have song snippets attached to the ends of them as like a credits theme and so if someone could split the audio and video files youd still have a 'bad' file.

if record lables are taking things to this extream level then why dont they ban libraries from having CDs? my local one does and i have previously got a CD out and copied it so i can keep the songs. i havent given the tracs to any one else (just to cover by back)

^ Libraries are an entirely different aspect of the law. They're legally allowed to have and distribute these copies to individuals in the manner that they do, and it's part of the contract with authors that library usage is explicitly allowed IIRC. This goes back to the whole concept that copyrights and patents aren't so much a 'moral' construct as an economic one, which were originally designed to help boost economic growth, creativity and competition. However, in these times the opposite is happening because of the way these laws are being implemented. There's an interesting article in the Guardian online about this (largely to do with software patents, but still significant), which was in part spurred on by the recent debacle with Sony and their rootkit infested CD's.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,3604,1646125,00.html

However, the whole notion of copyright as it was is seriously getting put through the wringer in the digital age. You might have heard recently about Google's attempts to create a vast digital library. This was largely opposed by several authors associations in the US (although a fair few individual authros were for the concept, since it meant a wider distribution and recognition of their work. This would then in theory result in a greater possibility of their becoming popular, quite away from having to depend on traditional distributors, channels, and advertising).

The whole process of distribution is changing. Organisations like the RIAA are scared of this largely because it means that if music can be easily distributed online to anyone who wants it, then it essentially cuts out the middle-man distributors and record companies. This has all sorts of effects, even with online distribution models such as iTunes, where the prices are to a large extent dictated by organisations such as the RIAA since they currently own the licences to the tracks that are being distributed.

So with distribution models changing, at first you found these distributors (who's business model was under threat) actively at war with the technology itself, launching all sorts of lawsuits to get concepts like P2P software outlawed altogether. This of course, was nonsense. Now, they're instead trying to re-mould the technology to suit and support the traditional manner in which distribution has happened in the past, with varied results, largely because the previous attempts at control haven't worked. It's led to some ludicrous stuff, like how while you can purchase an iPod, and CD's, it's technically illegal to rip that CD to MP3 format and put it on your iPod? Why? Because it's considered format shifting, and your licence (you don't own that CD, you only licence its contents) doesn't provide for this. Technically, you are allowed to make duiplicate backups of the CD for your own personal usage, but again, these rights are getting limited by countermeasures such as XCP.

So in short, it's a mess right now. It's such an unbelieveably huge topic that I can't be bothered to tackle it. Besides, going on as I have is largely unrelated to anime and more to do with copyright and patent law. :mrgreen:

You can't help thinking the company doing this is incredible childish. Still any AMV made with an Evenescence song should be banned

Back