AMV.org hit with legal problems

Daedalus668 said:
I'm just going to go out on a limb here and just say that Evanescence should be banned :D

*flees!*

Oh, please don't leave, I fully agree to your motion and will back it up with all the force I have. Which isn't that much really, oh well.

no no evanesence should be banned

within temptations are much better lol

just look on the bright side

it won't be long till someone from america sues the music industry for making music so addictive its bad for their health

Ryo Chan said:
it won't be long till someone from america sues the music industry for making music so addictive its bad for their health

Someone tried something similar a few years back, he was a tour chaser and general music nut who lost his job, house and wife becasue of being away following one of those big package tour then tried to sue the organiser of the tour and the RIAA for fueling his obsession and ruining his life.

Got laughed out of court though :roll:

What you have to remember is that you are using the music without their permission. You do not own the piece of music, only the cd it is stored on. This does not give you the right to use the music as you see fit.

However, I don't agree with it, but I can see where the company are coming from, as by using it in an AMV, you are still illegally distributing their music.

ok if we're going to get on that bandwagon masaki

that avatar of yours is someone elses work so effectively your illegally using their image

u see where this is going

not one person on this forum can say they're not doing something illegal

ps not a shot at u masaki ur just on my pick on list for the day :p

An AMV and a screenshot of an anime for an avatar are not comparable although I understand your point. The problem with AMVs is that it is not just a snatch of the track but the whole thing. There's nothing stopping people downloading the AMV, ripping the audio track off it, discarding the video and getting free music out of it.

I've never particularly been into AMVs myself and while this is a blow it was inevitable that someone in the music industry would take an interest.

comparing a screengrab and a whole song are something completely different. The fact is; I'm not going out of my way to distribute my avatar, and the original creator wouldn't be able to make any money out of it in the first place.

With an AMV, the song is the way the artist makes money. people are basically stealing their income by using the song.

masaki86 said:
With an AMV, the song is the way the artist makes money. people are basically stealing their income by using the song.

That's one way of looking at it, but I would also suggest that many people will have become interested in a band's music because of an AMV. A similiar issue applies to anime fansubs, the entire thing could be ruled out as simply steeling anime but on the other hand, I'm sure the likes of Naruto (via fansubs) have brought through a whole new generation of anime buyers.

like paul said, if it wasn't for a DBZ amv i saw years ago i wouldn't own a 3 doors down albumn

anyway moving on i was going to buy evanesences new albumn but i'm taking a stand with the other video makers on AMV.org and refusing to buy it now.

Sure they may stop people from getting their music for free but will it matter if no one buys it in the first place lol.

i don't usually promote illegal file downloads but in their case i'll make an exception

masaki86 said:
comparing a screengrab and a whole song are something completely different. The fact is; I'm not going out of my way to distribute my avatar, and the original creator wouldn't be able to make any money out of it in the first place.

Actually, from a copyright law standpoint, it doesn't matter whether the creator of the material can make money from what you're distributing or not. If they own the intellectual property, they can stipulate largely how and under what conditions it can be used, irrespective of whether or not they are selling or otherwise profiting from the property itself, with some exceptions.

One of these exceptions would be 'fair use', which an anime avatar like this would almost certainly fall under. I'm not quite certain what the specific clause is called in the UK, but it's likely to be very similar to the US version (you can read more about this from wikipedia, and a few other places if you want to search around).

As for whether uages of the song in an AMV can be (or should be) considered illegal usage of the material is a whole other can of worms that I really really don't want to open right now. :mrgreen:

Back