UK Anime Distributor Animatsu Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rui said:
Sort of shocked that these technical QC passes don't catch errors which would have people who buy mainstream releases up in arms too; it's not as though Manga UK haven't had major problems with subtitle sync going back for years now and it catastrophically destroys the experience for fans who want to watch with the original audio (not to mention fans with poor hearing).

I'm right with you on this, Rui. I've caught stuff on physical anime releases in the past which have literally made me shriek 'HOW did they miss that?' The speed-y up-y parts of Gundam SEED? The bizarre repetition of a few frames of animation plus audio on SEED Destiny? Even weird audio glitches on dub tracks - I've spotted a few, but there was one on Xam'd that really sticks in my mind when this sort of thing comes up. It's kind of neat to get some kind of explanation for these things, but also, as you say, sort of shocking.

My personal peeve right now is the point where the transition between DVD layers causes a slight pause. I'd really like to get some clarification on the point of whether this is something that can be addressed during the authoring process.

An example of why this interests me: Two episodes of Broken Blade (which I'll shortly be writing a review of for AUKN) were spoiled for me by this short but obtrusive pause, which in one case breaks the audio track. That's a big, big turn off for me. Each episode of the show runs at around 50 minutes, with three per disc.

How is this happening when I have DVD sets of popular TV shows with similar per-episode running length, with sometime 4 or 5 episodes per disc, and no pause for layer transition?

Really curious about this. I figure a discussion about authoring is as good a place as any to bring it up.

Animatsu are asking on Twitter whether people would be interested in a subtitle-only "Yuki Yuna Is A Hero" release that would be £58 for 4 episodes and a fancy box. He also noted that he doubts the series will ever receive a value edition release.
Jerome did note that this isn't very indicative of anything, but was pressed to ask after reading an ANN interview with Pony Canyon.

The response isn't too positive at the moment.

Joshawott said:
Animatsu are asking on Twitter whether people would be interested in a subtitle-only "Yuki Yuna Is A Hero" release that would be £58 for 4 episodes and a fancy box. He also noted that he doubts the series will ever receive a value edition release.
Jerome did note that this isn't very indicative of anything, but was pressed to ask after reading an ANN interview with Pony Canyon.

Is this a 12 episode show, so that'd be 3 x £58? That's a bit too much. I'd be interested and willing to support the idea at £30 a set as long as it looks nice.

I hope this doesn't rule out a UK release of Yuki Yuna, as it's a brilliant show.

I disagree with Pony Can/Aniplex's pricing strategy on principle, and have had some genuine worries recently that this model might become the norm over the next few years.

I think an important distinction needs to be made between what they're doing and what Anime Ltd are doing. Kill La Kill aside, ATA have always released full-cour sets, whereas Pony Can and Aniplex are going back to the 4-ep volume era (albeit with added goodies). I can understand some people like the quality of these sets, but in my opinion it's just an excuse to charge a heck of a lot more.

Current UK box set culture dictates that volume releases just aren't the thing for winning over a casual audience, so if anything like that came over here, I think it'd just feed the problem.

britguy said:
Joshawott said:

Is this a 12 episode show, so that'd be 3 x £58? That's a bit too much. I'd be interested and willing to support the idea at £30 a set as long as it looks nice.
Yeah, it's a single cour and Jerome mentioned that it would be £58 for four episodes, so a total of £174.

Considering that the series is available on Crunchyroll, it would have to be a show I love (haven't watched it yet; so I'll see) and have some pretty good extras to convince me to be honest. I dropped that kind of money on Madoka Magica, but that's Madoka Magica.

If the other 2 parts would have the same price, then it would be slightly cheaper than the US set, if you order them through UP1, £174 for the UK version from Animatsu vs. £183 for the US version.

Decisions, decisions :D

Joke pricing. If that ever ends up the norm, the UK anime scene will be dead for physical releases. I think importing would be back to been high on the agenda for those that are willing to pay. Maybe it would survive in the form of VOD but......

Be interesting to see how this goes down in the US, especially since it's a 2nd player in expensive release market. Maybe it's 1 too many, we'll see I guess.

Great, Nadia. I've never seen that and have put off importing Sentai's BD due to the danger of import fees... But wait, it's 39 episodes. Does this mean DVD only?

Dan said:
Joke pricing. If that ever ends up the norm, the UK anime scene will be dead for physical releases. I think importing would be back to been high on the agenda for those that are willing to pay.
But if importing is just as if not more expensive as Stiivun points out... I think there's a more likely scenario.

I'd be shocked if Yuki Yuna never receives a cheaper release at all, but of course they have to say that ;)

(Later on he tweeted that it was just his personal view that a cheaper set was never going to arrive. My personal view is that now they've bothered dubbing it it's likely we'll see Aniplex-style cheaper sets a long way down the line. Even if the LE sells like hot cakes - which it won't - it will be a nuisance for a production company to keep the special packaging in print over a long period.)

It's a shame, but as with the US release I'm not interested enough in the show to pay that much (or indeed, anything - I dropped the stream). Now if it was Binan Koukou Chikyuu Boueibu LOVE! that was getting the premium release I might be getting vocal!

To be honest I think Jerome wants the vote to go poorly in order to prove his own point. The US release has both the Japanese and English audio and Spanish subs, plus a bunch of other bonus features. Unless he's proposing redoing it as a weaker version for roughly the same price, he's deliberately playing down its value to make people who buy premium releases look dumb. As usual.

R

Anime limited releases seem like a happy middle ground. I wouldn't mind paying loads for a series I really like (I would stretch to £75 for half a season of fate stay night) but for most shows I wouldn't bother.

Dan said:
Joke pricing.

Indeed. I'm quite glad to see that the reception to this idea has been frosty. That's edging ever closer to the Japanese sales model. Even as a llifelong fan, I don't want that.

Dan said:
If that ever ends up the norm, the UK anime scene will be dead for physical releases. I think importing would be back to been high on the agenda for those that are willing to pay. Maybe it would survive in the form of VOD but......

Andrew from Anime Limited made some interesting comments on the VOD route in the 'is it just me or is anime becoming way too expensive' thread. The problem is (and it's ALWAYS worth repeating this) not everyone can use VOD, or wants to.

I personally fit into both camps. I'm simply not interested in anime I can't own. And even if I WERE in favour of VOD / streaming of any description... I can't do it! My area has terrible broadband coverage. Some outlying areas near me have NO broadband access.

It does seem like VOD is becoming a gateway for new fans, though. Andrew's comments on that were revelatory to me.

HdE said:
Andrew from Anime Limited made some interesting comments on the VOD route in the 'is it just me or is anime becoming way too expensive' thread. The problem is (and it's ALWAYS worth repeating this) not everyone can use VOD, or wants to.

I personaally fit into both camps. I'm simply not interested in anime I can't own. And even if I WERE in favour of VOD / streaming of any description... I can't do it! My area has terrible broadband coverage. Some outlying areas near me have NO broadband access.

It does seem like VOD is becoming a gateway for new fans, though. Andrew's comments on that were revelatory to me.

Tbh I don't use VOD either, not a fan. It's buy or rent physical releases for me. So I'm totally with you there.

ayase said:
Great, Nadia. I've never seen that and have put off importing Sentai's BD due to the danger of import fees... But wait, it's 39 episodes. Does this mean DVD only?

Dan said:
Joke pricing. If that ever ends up the norm, the UK anime scene will be dead for physical releases. I think importing would be back to been high on the agenda for those that are willing to pay.
But if importing is just as if not more expensive as Stiivun points out... I think there's a more likely scenario.

Haha, yeah I was thinking the same but didn't want to say it. Nice video btw, pretty funny.

Dan said:
Lutga said:
So a few new titles from Animatsu's newly unveiled website.

RWBY (4th May) > http://www.animatsu.com/product/rwby-volume-1/ (on DVD and Blu-Ray)

Red vs. Blue season 11 (4th May) > http://www.animatsu.com/product/red-vs-blue-season-11/ (on DVD and Blu-Ray)

Interested in RWBY, btw you can sign up to a mailing list at the bottom of the site aswell

Red Vs Blue?!?!?!.....oh wow that is so awesome, I loved RvB back in the day about a decade ago. Any chances of previous seasons coming out as well?

Nadia is up at Amazon. RRP is £69.99. That's higher than I thought it would be. I thought £49.99 or £54.99 considering how long the US release has been out.

Importing the US release for me would cost about £40, and don't see Amazon UK discounts dropping it that low. I'll see if Animatsu are doing anything special with it. If it's barebones (and doesn't drop near that), I'll consider importing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back