Animatsu have Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water for Q2

NormanicGrav

Quintessential Grav
AUKN Staff
Animatsu wanted to play a game of 'guess what we have licensed by looking at this picture'.

I guessed and..

Animatsu_Nadia.png

Original picture:

"Add a little adventure in Q2 with Animatsu. Have you guessed it yet?"

Interesting.

Nice to see them getting in there early with a 'classic' catalogue release - so we know they're not just going to be releasing new stuff.

As someone who's never seen the series before, how well regarded is it?

Lutga said:
Interesting.

Nice to see them getting in there early with a 'classic' catalogue release - so we know they're not just going to be releasing new stuff.

As someone who's never seen the series before, how well regarded is it?

Animage named it the best show of the 20th century, if that helps you a bit :)
I REALLY enjoyed it. The only downside is that the show has a boring part.

Ian Wolf said:
Animatsu tweet: Extremely pleased to announce that we will be releasing Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water on both DVD & Blu-ray!

Just did some research check. Siren Visual have the Australian rights but only released the series on DVD (with Blu-ray as a possible maybe) so the UK version is most likely using the Sentai authoring materials.

A 39 episode series being released on BluRay? That's a first for the UK industry. Maybe there is some small glimmer of hope for Patlabor after all.

NormanicGrav said:
Ian Wolf said:
Animatsu tweet: Extremely pleased to announce that we will be releasing Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water on both DVD & Blu-ray!

Just did some research check. Siren Visual have the Australian rights but only released the series on DVD (with Blu-ray as a possible maybe) so the UK version is most likely using the Sentai authoring materials.
Yeah they replied to my comment with "I am pleased to announce that we will be working with Sentai Filmworks on the DVD and Blu-ray editions. >Jerome"

It's a really nice pick up in my opinion, really interested.

SWEET BISCUITS OF MERCY! This feels like it came out of nowhere!

(Probably because I don't follow stuff nearly as closely as I should. Ahem.)

Basically a case of 'shut up and take my money'. With my standard caveat of 'but not too much of it, please' added, of course.

Really looking forward to getting hold of this already!

Awesome. always been interested in this show
Will likely pick up depending on how its released (complete set/two sets/three sets....Would prefer the first option) and how much.

I was pissed when it came out on Blu-ray everywhere apart from the UK so I'm glad it's getting released finally. The bad thing however is, I doubt Animatsu will release a set that is collectors-esque and cool like the Japanese set :(
Japanese set:
This is the kind of set I wanted Anime Limited to acquire, classic shows. Hopefully they get the other Gainax series, Gunbuster. Hopefully it's at least one set, or I'm going to skip it entirely. Animatsu...surprise me. I don't mind something akin to the US release:
The French set was really nice:
The series has nice art...USE IT! :)

Tried fruitlessly to get hold of the old tinbox DVD release a few years ago, but now that they've announced this, I feel strangely ambivalent about it. Might stream a bit of it first and see how I feel after that.

It's great to hear that an older anime series is coming to Blu-Ray here. I'm guessing they'll replicate the Sentai set, but I've got my fingers crossed that they'll get the rights to the 10 omakes.

Anno did this before he did EVA, and there is an iconic element from Nadia that became an icon in EVA. I'll leave you all to find them. :wink: I've already got the DVDs as singles, but will buy a BD boxset in a heart beat. My money waits in earnist.

If they're just copy/pasting the US release then the BD version is probably ok. It's only when Manga and co try to make edits themselves that things start to go horribly wrong.

(Unfortunately if they're just copy/pasting the US release then there's also no reason for people like me to buy this set when the US version is already out ^^; )

R

Well I imagine this edition will be significantly cheaper - £40 perhaps if it's just bog standard packaging? I can't see any reason why they wouldn't just re-use the US assets though in terms of on-disc content. Considering they're aiming for an early June release, I imagine a lot of the assets are already in place.

I hope it does well though - as if it bombs, I imagine it'll make them think twice about doing 'older' shows in the future.

Back