Anime at the cinema

With AL releasing Godzilla: Minus One theatrically, I’m hoping they’ll bring out more live-action Japanese films theatrically, or even on home-video. Anime Supremacy is one that I think would do well.

Also received the SLA booklet early this week, but not that I can make it to Scotland as that's a bit to far for me ;)

But when I went through the booklet I think this wasn't supposed to happen like at all :eek::)

IMG-0787.jpg

Also received the SLA booklet early this week, but not that I can make it to Scotland as that's a bit to far for me ;)

But when I went through the booklet I think this wasn't supposed to happen like at all :eek::)

IMG-0787.jpg
Looks like a bad case of copy pasta. But still it's a few years since Penguin Highway came out so the template they copied from is a few years old.

I just bought tickets for my mother and I to go see The Boy and the Heron on December 8 in IMAX at our local movie theater. Unfortunately, that specific theater doesn't advertise whether it is in English or Japanese anywhere online like other theaters listing both choices farther away from us, so I'll have to call the theater to ask them what language it will be - and I bet they won't even know. We would both much prefer subtitles, but I suppose either will be OK just to be able to see it in IMAX... I even reserved the exact same two seats that my mother and I sat in for the Suzume IMAX showing, and that one was in Japanese with subtitles, but I would venture to guess the Studio Ghibli movie will be in English.

Last edited:
Saw all four films showing at SLA in Edinburgh today, I liked them all, but in order of preference I’d rank them:
Lonely Castle in the Mirror>Blue Giant>The Concierge>Komada: A Whisky Family.
I would generally agree, decent showing 🙂

Really Enjoyed Galaxy Express 999 too, Macross was alright and Phoenix was something...

Good to see you too, sorry I couldn't say it in person on Sunday but I desperately didn't want to miss my bus 🤣.

I would generally agree, decent showing 🙂

Really Enjoyed Galaxy Express 999 too, Macross was alright and Phoenix was something...

Good to see you too, sorry I couldn't say it in person on Sunday but I desperately didn't want to miss my bus 🤣.
No problem, I scuttled away myself pretty sharpish for very similar reasons (train for me though!)
Galaxy Express 999 was the movie that 10-year-old me never knew was his favourite film. Adult me still thought it was wonderful, I really must seek out the sequel movie now, maybe even the TV series...
I already saw the Disney+ version of Phoenix and the much-vaunted movie alternative ending was only minimally different, though does somewhat change the tone... from terribly heart-rendingly bleak to merely terribly bleak. At least the animated adaptation is a lot less problematically incest-y than the manga. If they'd adapted it more faithfully, there probably would have been riots in the cinema. Tezuka was a genius, but also a madman.

I wonder when Garden of Remembrance will show in UK cinemas? Given the short length it seems like it would bode with as a bonus short occupying a feature film.
I doubt it'd get a nationwide release here with it being a short. It's also still only done the festival circuit, and not had a nationwide release in Japan yet.

Booked to see The Boy and the Heron (Dubbed) on Monday. This will actually be the first Ghibli movie I will have seen at the cinema.

I have seen Studio Ponoc's Mary and the Witch's Flower at the cinema though which is close enough and was actually the first ever anime movie I saw in cinemas in general.

Excited for The Boy and the Heron though.

Weird how CR haven't confirmed a UK release for Spy x Family Code: White yet, as it's planned to be released theatrically in the US.

It's been a little while so I could be wrong but I don't think the UK was part of the territories Crunchyroll had when they revealed its cinema release. I could see this being another One Piece Film: Red situation and AL have licensed the film instead, that or Crunchyroll are just skipping UK cinemas and it'll go straight to streaming / home video down the line.

Lonely Castle in the Mirror is playing at my local arts centre March 7th as part of the Japan Foundation Tour along with a number of live-action movies like they do each year.
I've booked some time off around that time (pending approval from my manager), so I could guarantee an opportunity to watch it again, this time, locally. I've seen it once before at SLA in Glasgow last year, and before I watch it again, I'll be reading the book the film is based on.

Back