Anime Eras: Which One Do You Prefer?

Which, of the following do you prefer and why?

• Old (Pre 2000)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Present (2000 - present date)

• Future

• Total voters
chaos said:
For me, it doesn't matter. visuals may increase the experience, but nothing beats a good story.

Ditto. Eskaflowne might have looked pretty washed out and the mid 90s style of clipped noses is a bit odd but the story was brilliant.

This question is somewhat arbitrary in its distinction. Whilst my absolute favourite anime are all post-2000, the total number of pre-2000 anime which I have enjoyed is greater than the number of post-2000 anime to which the same applies. There's too much to like about each era for me to vote for one over the other.

Voted for pre 2000

I think computers are used too much in anime now. Akira got it right by only using it when it was needed.

Also computer drawn anime looks too clinical and clean compared to older anime.

my vote goes for pre-2000 as well, whilst i will say that some of the stuff that is shown in anime because of CGI and new technology can really look amazing, such as paprika for example which could not have been achieved to the same spectacle years ago, i vastly prefer when animation was hand drawn as i just really appreciate that aesthetic and really enjoy seeing the effort the animators would put into their work without resorting to cheaply looking CGI effects or such, for example this fight scene from my favourite series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUUbyJjwFX4

can't get enough of it! :)

I was talking about the feel of the anime, so why the argument?

Yes i was talking about Style. ofcorse i was. i was asking what generation of anime they like. the point that i mentioned quality was to plant the seed of thought in your brains and let you run away with yourself.

I'm hardly going to set it out in black and white for you. its a personal question so its for YOU to personnally search your feelings and answer accordingly.

For example. the character designs and the quality are similar due to them BOTH being key parts of the anime.

Look at the older Era of anime, not the quality of the anime itself can be taken in a multitude of ways, the story, the quality of picture the quality of effort on the designs and the quality of backgrounds.

The Style also is key to its age. as over time the anime styles of character design, background design and what style of story to go with all mean just as much as the quality of which they're in.

Look at the old series of Transformers. the 1980's generation, then look at the most modern transformers (anime, not the film with meg fox) the styles of character design are greatly different and the quality of the anime also differs, however their both banded together under the banner of transformers. Now i was asking what era you like and to explain why exactly you prefer that era. It wasn't hard, others have done it without a problem. So for those who where unsure and thus wanted to argue the case i hope this has made things crystal clear.

For everyone else, thank you for understanding this all for yourself and was able to answer accordingly.

pre-2000 for me. I prefer OVA's and movies to long running series, just in terms of quality and also the fact that a 26 episode series can run out of steam and lose its way.

Having said that, some OVA series are too short. For example, Please Save My Earth is 6 30min episodes, and while that is enough for the story it conveys, it condenses a huge part of the original manga into a few montage minutes at the end of part 6. Both the Battle Angel Alita and Tokyo Babylon OVA's are great, but as they are based on long running manga, it seems a bit of a waste to only have short OVA's that don't bring the story to a definitive end.

I think the animation quality argument is a bit redundant - Akira, GitS, Macross Plus, Ninja Scroll, X Movie etc. all have amazing animation, and not all the releases nowadays are expertly animated. Most rely on huge amounts of CGI that lack the charm and presence of traditional cel animation.

Pre-2000 for me also. Don't get me wrong, I do love alot of anime release date 2000+, but that's my desicion if I had to choose between the two. Mainly due to the fact that I grew up with it and alot more of it seemed to be about the story and detail. I could definately name more anime's pre 2000 that have had a lasting effect on me. Dominion/Patlabor/Gundam/Tenchi/Bebop/Trigun/AD Police/... to name a few. (could name alot more).

Like most of the others, I'm going to say Pre 2000, though Paprika was a good example of brilliant post 2000 visuals and use of CGI. There are plenty of anime series out now that I love (Fullmetal alchemist) but now however, I get the sense that a majority of the animes around today are just half-assed, with shows like Bleach being one of the biggest examples of this. The fights are either boring, still, and clumsy or, on the rareoccasion, well animated, long and fluent but only if it's important

Pre 2000 always leave you knowing that the creators worked hard, like Coybow Bebop and Outlaw Star and that I'm usually always left satisfied at the end of the episode.

Story is the most important thing for certain, no matter what the animation style - my opinion

I like both styles I don't really know which I prefer. I like the crisp, clean, modern anime but you also get that with many later pre 2000 anime. CGI i prefer to look animated, cell shaded instead of looking too realistic.

Examples.
I like studio Ghibli's work and I liked ergo proxy's visuals.
My first watching of Appleseed had too much obvious cgi for me but I liked it a lot still, it was fairly cell shaded cgi instead of it looking to realistic so it was ok, my second watching I was used to the cgi and really started to like the visuals there.
The awesomeness of hellsing Ultimate showed me too much obvious cgi in places which I would have preferred to look more cell shaded and less realistic.

Exceptions.
I like the transparency of glass, sparkles and other transparent object/things in modern anime. I like cgi when it still looks animated instead of looking to much like real life.

Maybe some examples sound contradictory to my original description, maybe I'm just getting used to cgi now :S.

I love pixar btw.

Though saying all that my most favourite animes of all time, Lain, Noir, cowboy bebop and others are all pre 2000 animation. Lucky star is one of my favourites too even though thats post 2000 but it didn't look cgi, at least I can't remember noticing any.

I'm pleasantly surprised at the amount of people going for older anime (though oddly the poll seems to be more balanced). Now we just have to get this message to the distributors - More older anime please! :D

Someonr have a word with Andrew @ Beez about this, it could help distributers within the UK understand the market their catering for abit better.

I don't know. i think that the full CGi anime like kakurembo (as mentioned earlier) is considered the future.

On a side note I think it'd be nice to know peoples views on if we, at current have reached the pinnacle of anime quality and style. or if people believe we still have more to go to reach the best possible quality and style in all its entirety.

I doubt it will happen, but I'd like to see Manga Entertainment release some more of the older shows that they released pre-DVD.

Its great that they released Orguss O2, the original Vampire Hunter D, Space Adventure Cobra and Secret of Mamo, but it would be good to see stuff like Tokyo Babylon, 3x3 Eyes, Doomed Megalopolis or Gall Force - maybe they just don't have the licenses any more?

After some thought on the matter i've gone for the pre-2000 option. It was a hard choice as it seemed that half of my favourite anime was from either pre-2000 or after it. What tipped the choice though was the fact that despite having seen more of the later shows, the older ones stayed with me longer. I could watch a few of the post 2000 stuff and it wouldn't matter much yet when i watched Orguss 02 i was still thinking about that a week after i had finished it.

Not that i'm saying the new stuff doesn't have this power, i mean Tsukihime, Higurashi, Fate/Stay Night are all my favourites and they were done this side of the millennium, its just that at times some of the new stuff can seem soulless in comparison.

Olio80 said:
I doubt it will happen, but I'd like to see Manga Entertainment release some more of the older shows that they released pre-DVD.

I would love to see this as well, although i would settle for the old Guyver OVA to surface on DVD (with an added bonus of "Guyver: Out of Control" being with the set...who am i kidding? we would never see that over here but i can dream) I think the Americans have this on DVD, but till then i may just have to start trying to get ahold of the VHS

Back