Anime Hangman

ilmaestro said:
How would people feel about playing with no vowel guesses?

I second this. Including vowels in the guesses makes this game quite easy since the amounts of titles are limited: if you think of a title that can fit, then most probably it's the correct one. Plus I suggest we could start adding something else besides the titles, like character names.

Since Rui passed up and I'm not famous for being polite, here is the guess to the solution:
Anne of Green Gables
I find it funny that the Japanese and the Italian titles refer to "red hair" and not "Green Gables". Sooner or later I need to buy the DVDs, last time I watched the series I think it was 1982 or 1983, being a boy I thought it was too "girlish" but I suppose I would revaluate it now.

Teo

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, it's interesting that the Italian title is close to the Japanese one. The Spanish title is the same as the English one, I believe, so I wonder how that all happened.

You are, of course, correct.

ilmaestro said:
Ah, it's interesting that the Italian title is close to the Japanese one. The Spanish title is the same as the English one, I believe, so I wonder how that all happened.

Just checked for curiosity on wikipedia.
In Italy it was aired for the first time in 1980.
In Spain it was aired after 1990, I haven't been able to find the exact date, it says it was aired by Telecinco, which started on 1990.
In France it's called "correctly" (Anne, la maison aux pignons verts), it was unreleased until 2008 when they got the DVD edition.
So I suppose the Japanese gave that title because pronouncing "Green Gables" would have been difficult for them, or some similar reason (you know Japanese culture much better than me).
About the Italian release, at those times the Japanese companies just sent the video masters and almost no infos about the shows (no scripts or whatever). Italian TVs just cared for quantity, worked with few personnel and paid really few attention to what they were doing (inventing new names and dialogues...). So it's not a surprise they just translated the Japanese title without knowing about the original book (they did even worse, best example changing Grendizer in Goldrake).
Spanish edition came after 1990, when companies sent more infos about their shows and us Europeans had much more knowledge about anime (directors and so on), so I suppose it was much easier for them to find that the anime was adapted from the book.

New hangman:

_ _ _ _ _ _ _
Hangman-0.png

Teo

I will guess at "S"

teonzo said:
About the Italian release, at those times the Japanese companies just sent the video masters and almost no infos about the shows (no scripts or whatever). Italian TVs just cared for quantity, worked with few personnel and paid really few attention to what they were doing (inventing new names and dialogues...). So it's not a surprise they just translated the Japanese title without knowing about the original book (they did even worse, best example changing Grendizer in Goldrake).
Spanish edition came after 1990, when companies sent more infos about their shows and us Europeans had much more knowledge about anime (directors and so on), so I suppose it was much easier for them to find that the anime was adapted from the book.
Interesting analysis, very plausible.

As far as the Japanese goes (again, according to Wiki), the lady who translated the book into Japanese originally (Muraoka Hanako) suggested several possible titles (certainly back in the time that the book would have been translated it would not have been standard to use "Green Gables" in katakana, and it doesn't make sense to directly translate place names) including "The Girl who Rests on the Windowsill", and it was the chief editor at the publisher who suggested the title that it would finally adopt. Muraoka didn't like it at first, but when her daughter heard it, she liked it a lot and encouraged her mother to use it.

fwiw, I think "Akage no An" works beautifully as the title in Japanese, and is probably a good example of an editor making a very appropriate, practical suggestion against the more whimsical nature of an author.

Thanks for the explanation. It's always interesting to pay attention to the dinamics of translations, sometimes they can be a great work per se (the Italian dub of "Frankenstein Jr" is almost on par with the original, incredibly), other times they can totally ruin the original. If you want to have a good laugh, the Italian title for "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" was "Se mi lasci ti cancello" ("if you leave me I erase you").

Back to the game:

_ A _ _ _ A _
Hangman-1.png

Wrong guesses: S

Teo

Back