Anime Limited Acquire 009 RE:CYBORG Anime Movie

Re: Anime Limited announces 009 RE:CYBORG

Here's a trailer: http://youtu.be/mPQ1ZlGpWlA

EDIT: Damn it, you edited in the trailer xD.

Anyways, I'm not a fan of CG movies that use a style of character designs so rooted in 2D animation. However, with Kenji Kamiyama as the Director, I'll have to at least check it out.

I've had this on my plan to watch list for a while so i'm glad to hear that Anime Limited finally have a license i'm interested in.

Doubt i'll be attending a cinema showing though.

Also blog post covering it on All the Anime.

Might be worth a look with Kamiyama directing. They still can't get movement quite right in 3D, can they? It's like they over-animate things that don't need to move and under-animate things that should show a lot more movement.

reborn said:
It shall be getting a dub too, with Anime Limited working with NYAV Post.
Source
I find it quite interesting that they're willing to pay to dub something themselves - especially with how expensive it must be.
I wonder if this is a one off (especially since it's a movie), or whether AniLtd will be dubbing more movies, or even TV shows (Although I see this as highly unlikely).
I suppose at the end of the day it comes down to what the title is and how big the potential target audience is.

As for the trailer, I was extremely disappointed when I saw the CG - especially when it seems to have more CG than the crap in Berserk.
I tend to find that it breaks any immersion one might have whilst watching.

Hmm, yeah, I'm still not loving this cel shaded animation thing they're trying to roll with. There's just something about it that doesn't look right. Essentially, it still feels like I'm watching a cel shaded cut scene in a PS2 game, obviously it's more impressive, but it still has that same something-that I can't quite put my finger on-off about it just as cel shaded games do. I do find it ironic that these animation techniques were initially most prominently employed in the hope to make video games look like anime, and now anime movies employ the same techniques and thus look more like awkwardly animated games.

Kamiyama is the only thing that makes watching this film a temptation, but with that said, while he's undoubtedly become a master of telling stories through animated TV shows, the feature length stuff he's directed has never quite hung together very well at all, in my opinion.

reborn said:
It shall be getting a dub too, with Anime Limited working with NYAV Post.
Source
Huh, would have figgured they would have tried to keep continuity with the 03 dub (Josuhua Seth notwithstanding) by going with Bang Zoom or something.

Now knowing it has a dub, definitely interested. With regards to cell shading I quite like it in Freedom, so no worries there, just hope this isn't the future of anime. After Pixar taking the animation market by storm and replacing hand drawn with CG, I've always wondered whether the Japanese would incorporate it into anime and it seems to be on the rise.

Anime Limited has announced that it has acquired Production I.G.s recent adaptation of Shotaro Ishinomori’s sci-fi anime 009 RE:CYBORG anime movie and will give it a theatrical run some time in April. This is a co-production between Sanjigen and Production I.G. and it was animated with CGI and shown in 3D.

Synopsis

The story follows a group of nine people who were kidnapped from across the world for a project involving human experimentation. These people are turned into cyborgs but escape and turn their new powers against their former captors in order to protect humanity from them. When skyscrapers in London, Moscow, Berlin, and New York are destroyed by simultaneous bombings, causing widespread panic throughout the world, the nine cyborg fighter reunite, but their former leader is living alone in Tokyo with his memories wiped.

The anime is based on Shotaro Ishinomori’s manga which ran from 1964 to 1981 and was collected into 36 volumes. There have been three films and three TV series. Kenji Kamiyama (Eden of the East, GitS: Stand Alone Complex) has taken on the roles of director and screen-writer for the movie. Music is composed by Kenji Kawai (Patlabor The Movie).

The film has a date around April chalked in for a theatrical run. If you love anime and you want to see it in a cinema, make an effort to see this action extravaganza.

Mods, please merge the thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mangaranga said:
I find it quite interesting that they're willing to pay to dub something themselves - especially with how expensive it must be.
It could be someone else is shipping in, or like Space Show the licencor is paying for it and will own the dub for international sales purposes.
If Anime LTD was in the business of commissioning dubs, it'd be nice if they'd throw some work in the direction of someone like Side UK so we'd get some tidy British accents back in our anime...

From Anime Limited's facebook

Whoops, the cat's out of the bag! We've got the European premiere of 009 RE:CYBORG in London on Thursday the 4th of April.

Did we mention the director, Kenji Kamiyama, will be there? We'll shout again when tickets go live to the general public later this week.

Back