UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Bailey1985 said:
I will be buying the terror in Resonance Blu-ray . I like the look of that set . Does anybody know if it's an exact copy of the American version .

It's not - the book is rather unique for us (to my knowledge). We've gone as far as to translate all available material and put it in a very cool release there, so it's a UK specific one :). Cost a lot to put together but the content is well worth it having read it all when it was translated!

AP

Elaniel said:
I actually miss the Anime Limited spine, it makes my collection look off now by not having it on that one. :)

I do love a good Ultimate Edition, but not a fan of the new layout (case in middle of box) with amaray cases like FMP. I'd like the Terror In Resonance one to be a digipak and outer box (like the Baccano release) in the space instead of an amaray.

Digipacks without a rigid case tend to damage really easily - so we will look at doing an Ultimate with a Collector's inside one day when we find a title that supports it in terms of units but alas it won't be for Terror in Resonance I'm afraid there! We get everyone is different there though but I know Keith's prepared a pretty sweet reversible case for the discs there :).

AP

Will you ever add audio to your animated logo? My girlfriend thinks it's really cute and I like it too but there's no jingle or anything appropriate accompanying it.

(Edited because phone jumbled the text a bit o_O)

serpantino said:
Will you ever add audio to your animated logo? My girlfriend thinks it's really cute and i like but there's no jingle or anything accompanying appropriate it.

We'll definitely look into it :D. Been on the todo list when time allows since forever!

AP

anime_andrew said:
Bailey1985 said:
I will be buying the terror in Resonance Blu-ray . I like the look of that set . Does anybody know if it's an exact copy of the American version .

It's not - the book is rather unique for us (to my knowledge). We've gone as far as to translate all available material and put it in a very cool release there, so it's a UK specific one :). Cost a lot to put together but the content is well worth it having read it all when it was translated!

AP

Terror in Resonance was definitely among my favourite series last year and knowing we're getting such a special art book has me really excited. Wanted this since you first announced it and looking forward to it more every time you guys show it off. :D

Question: Is the in depth conversation with the cast the dub cast or the Japanese? Nothing against the dub crew, but I'd be far more interested in that aspect if it's the original team.

Unsure if you've answered this (I'm a bit out of the loop) will TiR be getting a *standard* blu ray Collector's edition like say Patema Inverted?

ie. Normal release (dvd) > Collector's edition (blu ridgid) > Ultimate Edition (DVD+blu+artbook)

Don't get me wrong the ULTIMATE looks very nice and I'm sure a lot of effort has gone into it but I'm kinda getting the feeling the price tag is gonna be ULTIMATE as well. £80 - £90 maybe... I liked the show. But not that much :D so I hope for those wanting the blu ray version it's not all or nothing.

anime_andrew said:
Elaniel said:
I actually miss the Anime Limited spine, it makes my collection look off now by not having it on that one. :)

I do love a good Ultimate Edition, but not a fan of the new layout (case in middle of box) with amaray cases like FMP. I'd like the Terror In Resonance one to be a digipak and outer box (like the Baccano release) in the space instead of an amaray.

Digipacks without a rigid case tend to damage really easily - so we will look at doing an Ultimate with a Collector's inside one day when we find a title that supports it in terms of units but alas it won't be for Terror in Resonance I'm afraid there! We get everyone is different there though but I know Keith's prepared a pretty sweet reversible case for the discs there :).

AP

I did mean about putting the digipak in a rigid case inside the Ultimate Box, but I understand it isn't feasible. Probably far too much packaging though, especially as it would end up being a Blu-Ray version of a Matryoshka doll. I'm still definitely getting the set, as I really enjoyed the first few episodes I saw of the series.

I think it's interesting that Terror in Resonance is an Ultimate Edition, I thought the plan was to only really do that if there's something special to go with the show like a movie or soundtrack (or at least a whole long show like FMP). I'm guessing the translated book would be the special thing for this release but it does make me wonder how special it has to be to upgrade from "Collector's" to "Ultimate".

If the soundtrack for the show is supposed to be one of the great things about it, I'd have expected that it'd be a pretty good choice for making a true Ultimate Edition. I guess it's possible that could still happen, though I'd imagine it might have been announced already if a deal had been worked out.

None of this is a complaint by the way, I just think it's interesting to see the way different releases turn out and I'd be interested in the thoughts behind the decisions leading to these outcomes.

As for the show itself, I'm interested in it so I should maybe make an effort to watch it so that I can decide if I want to buy a copy. I think it's still on Netflix just now, at least.

Regarding the comment on the animated logo, I'd agree that it's not a bad little logo but I think you'd have to be careful with the sound you add. I don't think it's too bad silent so it'd be a shame if I hated it because it had some terrible sound I couldn't stand. I guess that's likely to come down to personal taste though (as with any logo really).

Lutga said:
Not gonna lie, I'm kind of annoyed people are complaining about the FMP set - I mean, like, no anime release is ever going to be perfect. Discounting packaging and any extras etc. - in my eyes just the sheer number of eps you're getting on BD warrants a higher price tag.

This is going of on a tangent, but I've really started to feel uneasy recently about the negative comments I'm seeing online re. physical releases - personally I think the level of perfectionism fans seem to demand at the moment is unrealistic. It's just like - people never seem to be happy.

re. Miss Hokusai - I assume if a US company dubs it, the UK release will still include it? Unless the dub is set to come out at a significantly later point in time.

Sorry to bring-up an old post but haven't had much time recently to go exploring all the comments :D

My reasoning for disliking FMP UE was a multitude things and of course price was a factor. I have no issues about spending a high price to receive a premium product but with FMP UE i just didnt feel satisfied with what i had got for the money (all of which is laid out in the article i wrote on AnimeBlurayUK).

To clarify I wasn't looking for the 'perfect product' i just didn't like the product as i had expected (and im not referring to the episode content itself) and i don't believe it warrants the high price point of the £150 RRP. At £90 i paid at MCM Comic Con i am contempt with it; but considering i like the packaging and presentation style of the american releases - and the fact it uses the exact same disc masters as those used in america - i can't help but feel disatisfied; heck someone recently showed me the French Ultimate Edition (half the cost) and it looks amazing!

Like i said; just speaking out my thoughts about the set :D

Yeah, looking at what the French got I feel like the FMP set could have offered more - I recall it being said that there wasn't much available in terms of materials that could be included but then I saw what France were getting and now I am confused and as Scott at AnimeBlurayUK points out, the difference in price is also interesting.

I was also somewhat surprised when I saw just how much better the £35 French version was than ours (of course this is the price now, I assume it was more when it came out), particularly in the art work used department. I've been pretty disappointed with the Ultimate Editions in general and Full Metal Panic was the last chance to win me over but at this point I'm not even sure that I want it (how much nicer the French version is isn't the reason though), I understand you can only work with what you're given, but I'm pretty close to canceling my order and just getting the US sets.

Damn the French one does look so much better

diaXzXul.jpg

Would be interesting to know if the French had more to work with to get it looking like that or whether they had the same constraints as AL.

Yeah the French release does look great, but I'm generally happy with what I've got, it just does look a lot Less visually striking in comparison.

I'll be honest and say i was underwhelmed initially when opening the UE and it is the weakest UE release AL have done imo, and i do believe the amarays and no inside art had a big part to play in this, but it has grown in me since, and i have grew to like the minimalist look of the set and the art chosen.

Looking at the French edition, I can only surmise that either anime limited had their hands tied with what they could use and where, or that they didn't reverse as a cost cutting measure, going on previous AL sets I'm positive it's the former.

Also when you bring up the pricing, the one major difference here is that we have the English dub and subs, so This adds extra cost to the show due to having to pay for that.

The other thing is the whole French market being much Healthier and larger than our own, both well affect the rrp.

Buzzkillington said:
I was also somewhat surprised when I saw just how much better the £35 French version was than ours (of course this is the price now, I assume it was more when it came out), particularly in the art work used department. I've been pretty disappointed with the Ultimate Editions in general and Full Metal Panic was the last chance to win me over but at this point I'm not even sure that I want it (how much nicer the French version is isn't the reason though), I understand you can only work with what you're given, but I'm pretty close to canceling my order and just getting the US sets.

French boxset SRP is 48£.

britguy said:
Also when you bring up the pricing, the one major difference here is that we have the English dub and subs, so This adds extra cost to the show due to having to pay for that.

The other thing is the whole French market being much Healthier and larger than our own, both well affect the rrp.

Are you implying french subs & dubs cost nothing? The french distributors also need to author the discs themself and cannot use an external source to minimize costs.

And no, the french market is certainly not healthier. The grass may seem greener there, it's not.

Back