UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Apologies I'm rather tired.

When Blood Lad was released and retailers stuck to the RRP I don't recall anyone moaning about £50 being too expensive for an 11 episode series with a book/booklet. It then recently dropped to half the RRP, so if Terror in Resonance does the same it will be equal with the RRP of Blood Lad....so, there shouldn't be any real complaints*

Don't worry, I know there will be*

So it's ok because in about 9-12 months the show might be in a sale and sell for £50? I don't agree with that train of thought but each to their own. imo £50 day one isn't too expensive for a show, £100 is.

Looking at my amazon pre order details I got blood lad for £32 btw.....

Wow. I'm glad I didn't enjoy Terror in Resonance much because that price is pretty crazy.

It really wasn't anything special at all, the plot was kinda cliche and the pacing was off in the latter half; Eden of the East was much better. I'd definitely recommend people watch this series before they buy, especially at that price

thedoctor2016 said:
I always compare to JP and think we are still getting it very cheap

I simply could not care less for this justification for high prices.

Have we paid these prices for anime in the UK before as a rule? No. And there ends my interest in that line of discussion.

No responses to that, please. I'm just royally sick of hearing that we should accept pricing for a Japanese product in the West when literally NOTHING else in our physical media market goes for the same money.

britguy said:
So it's ok because in about 9-12 months the show might be in a sale and sell for £50? I don't agree with that train of thought but each to their own. imo £50 day one isn't too expensive for a show, £100 is.

Looking at my amazon pre order details I got blood lad for £32 btw.....

The fact that the price of Fullmetal Panic has dropped to half the RRP in a matter of weeks before it's actually released, says to me that it will be similar for Terror in Resonance. I just assumed that using that as an example wouldn't be accepted due to it's runtime, age etc... so I used Blood Lad as an example instead as it has the same episode count and is more recent.

But either way, we are just pulling answers out of our asses. All we can really do is pre order it and wait and see how much the price actually drops.

Or we can not preorder? I'll likely do the same but I'll communicate my feelings about the rrp to Andrew via this thread as I just can't for the life of me see the justification in value in comparison to their other sets.

I'm assuming you're referring to the rrp drop of FMP over at Zavvi down to 69.99 which I to this day believe was a mistake, or has it dropped again/somewhere else?

End of the day, Yes I could wait two to three years and the show is 30 pound, but then if everyone starts doing that our waiting for the sales, and day one adoption rates drop dramatically, then you're left in a situation where AL stop bringing in as much revenue and stop being able to license as much as they do, hence why I like being their day one as I honestly do believe I am supporting the UK industry in the best way I can.

Hmm, so atm the Ultimate Ed is £91.21 on Amazon and the DvD version £24.06.

While discounts have yet to kick in that's a hell of a price gap.

UP1USA will sell me a combi LE US set for about £48, what does the UE have beyond an art book that's going to bridge the price gap?

Rosencrantz said:
Hmm, so atm the Ultimate Ed is £91.21 on Amazon and the DvD version £24.06.

While discounts have yet to kick in that's a hell of a price gap.

UP1USA will sell me a combi LE US set for about £48, what does the UE have beyond an art book that's going to bridge the price gap?

Nothing else really.

I feel the whole Ultimate Edition treatment seems to have crumbled pretty badly now.

Gurren Lagann started out great but suffered from its digipack problems, damaged video quality (something that Anime Ltd couldn't fix) and was limited to the DVD extras from Aniplex US's release. The additional plus side was the movies and 14 of 15 Parallel Works were included in the bundle. For paying £81 at the time it was a good deal though.

Patema Inverted had the better treatment, and to me is the best Ultimate Edition set by far. £40 for backers to get a combo set, simpler digipack, OST thanks to fan support and a really excellent artbook that has literally everything. The downside was the lack of a title on the side of the box.

Giovanni's Island looks impressive but I felt it was inconsistent with the other two in terms of shelving so I ended up cancelling (the slipcover was different and there was no title on the spine box). The rest is about as good as Patema's from what I've seen.

Full Metal Panic! is probably a series that sounds good for the treatment but after seeing what it is in its final form I just can't justify going for it especially when they're basically the same as the Funimation discs. The artbook looks cool but everything else really is based on whether you are really up for paying a lot for the set. The same goes for Terror in Resonance, but if the OST was available then I would be fine with the price point.

I guess The Vision of Escaflowne can be done better given it's two versions of the same show so it's basically twice the disc content but honestly I don't know at this point. Overall, I feel Ultimate Editions would be better suited for movies from now on.

Sorry Andrew & Jeremy if I end making you upset, it's just how I feel at this point regarding the Ultimate Editions thus far. The Collector's Editions are spot on though.

My only question is why TiR getting a UE? I only heard of it a few months ago, its not as big as GL or FMP, or others titles such as Baccano or SAO II. Thats my only question why has this been chosen over AL licenses which deserve it more. Also Aniplex titles are more, Fate Zero and UBW were more. Please stop complaining the price of anime, I don't think the moaning will do anything. Also why have we got the artwork for this release 5 months away but no art for Gundam part 2 or Rec which is 2 months away.

Because it's a Watanabe, when you stick "From the director and composer of Cowboy Bebop" on the box, who cares if it's not as big as GL?

Fate Zero and UBW are not titles they have and AL have said they aren't particularly interested in actively usurping somebody else's licence, and quite frankly anything with Watanabe's name is probably going to sell way more copies than an anime adapted from a not legally available spin-off to a not legally available visual novel, widely noted for poorly done gratuitous sex scenes...

Im comparing and there actually the best adaptions of the source material I've seen, i would UBW adapts the VN route very well and adds stuff well. The only close Vn anime I've seen is Steins Gate but then i like the VN exclusive endings for each girl. His name will shift the DVDs not a £90 UE. You must have interest in the series or a lot of money to spend to blind buy it.

£91 haha aw that's a cracker, right funny bunch over at AL HQ. I hope that's a mistake or import it is, probably import regardless actually.

NormanicGrav said:
Nothing else really.

I feel the whole Ultimate Edition treatment seems to have crumbled pretty badly now.

Gurren Lagann started out great but suffered from its digipack problems, damaged video quality (something that Anime Ltd couldn't fix) and was limited to the DVD extras from Aniplex US's release. The additional plus side was the movies and 14 of 15 Parallel Works were included in the bundle. For paying £81 at the time it was a good deal though.

Patema Inverted had the better treatment, and to me is the best Ultimate Edition set by far. £40 for backers to get a combo set, simpler digipack, OST thanks to fan support and a really excellent artbook that has literally everything. The downside was the lack of a title on the side of the box.

Giovanni's Island looks impressive but I felt it was inconsistent with the other two in terms of shelving so I ended up cancelling (the slipcover was different and there was no title on the spine box). The rest is about as good as Patema's from what I've seen.

Full Metal Panic! is probably a series that sounds good for the treatment but after seeing what it is in its final form I just can't justify going for it especially when they're basically the same as the Funimation discs. The artbook looks cool but everything else really is based on whether you are really up for paying a lot for the set. The same goes for Terror in Resonance, but if the OST was available then I would be fine with the price point.

I guess The Vision of Escaflowne can be done better given it's two versions of the same show so it's basically twice the disc content but honestly I don't know at this point. Overall, I feel Ultimate Editions would be better suited for movies from now on.

Sorry Andrew & Jeremy if I end making you upset, it's just how I feel at this point regarding the Ultimate Editions thus far. The Collector's Editions are spot on though.
Yeah, you've pretty much summed up my feelings on Ultimate Editions, for me they're just not all that nice and certainly not worth the asking price imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can pick up an external Blu Ray drive for your PC capable of playing the Region A copy along with the Blu Ray itaelf and it would still be cheaper than buying the AL version.

Back