UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

I just ordered Gundam Build Fighters and its sequel GBF Try together at Rightstuf for 1st time and comes to £61 including free economy shipping to my US address (using Ship7 courier)

Cheaper to buy the whole season from the US than the first half of the UK release at non-early bird price. I understand price increases, but this is an absolute pisstake.
Not to downplay your point but I think it's best to point out that the US release is region A. This is a very UK-centric forum so it's best to keep in mind that not many people would own a compatible player. While the US release may be cheaper you'd have to consider the additional cost of being able to actually watch it.

Not to downplay your point but I think it's best to point out that the US release is region A. This is a very UK-centric forum so it's best to keep in mind that not many people would own a compatible player. While the US release may be cheaper you'd have to consider the additional cost of being able to actually watch it.
Apologies. I do have a Blu-ray player that can play region A discs.

It's very easy to get a compatible player cheaply though if you don't mind running off a pc/laptop. You can get an external bluray drive for about £50 and Leawo is a free program that will play it.

You'd more than break even between getting that and the US versions of BF and Try over the UK ones.

It's very easy to get a compatible player cheaply though if you don't mind running off a pc/laptop. You can get an external bluray drive for about £50 and Leawo is a free program that will play it.

You'd more than break even between getting that and the US versions of BF and Try over the UK ones.
Neat as it may be I still think it would be better to inform people of this so they don't receive a Blu-ray and find out it won't play on their region B system. Wouldn't be the best surprise

Cheaper to buy the whole season from the US than the first half of the UK release at non-early bird price. I understand price increases, but this is an absolute pisstake.
I will say that it is somewhat unfair to compare pricing on the US release, which is also a standard edition, that is 7 years old AND on RS birthday sale compared to a new UK Collector's Edition release on early bird.

I don't agree with their decision to split the season like they've done however.

I will say that it is somewhat unfair to compare pricing on the US release, which is also a standard edition, that is 7 years old AND on RS birthday sale compared to a new UK Collector's Edition release on early bird.

I don't agree with their decision to split the season like they've done however.
It’s not unfair when the model for AL’s Gundam releases is that of a first print bonus rather than a collector’s edition. The standard edition down the line will feature the same split with the same SRP.

It’s not unfair when the model for AL’s Gundam releases is that of a first print bonus rather than a collector’s edition. The standard edition down the line will feature the same split with the same SRP.
The split is unreasonable and just serves to anger the dedicated fans but to compare current pricing for the US release and the new UK release is disingenuous.

The US release right now is discounted to attract as many new buyers as possible with the pricing, since the first 6-12 months are where the majority of the profit is generated. You also need to account for the cost of international shipping as well as the 20% import tax if you want the actual cost.

A more apt comparison would be to compare the US preorder pricing and the UK preorder pricing, taking into account that typical collector's editions are priced higher, even if they only include a chipset box as an extra. US pricing would need to add on 10% sales tax, as UK prices have VAT already included.

Any future standard edition is meaningless to talk about the SRP. It never sells for the SRP, especially if the Collector's Edition is still in stock.

Frankly, the optimal move should have been just a complete edition instead of split seasons and the majority would have been content, even if the SRP was on the high end for such a late release. Instead, you have a more controversial release that has people upset and potentially not buying, which will only engender further cries from executives about how the UK physical market is dying.

A more apt comparison would be to compare the US preorder pricing and the UK preorder pricing, taking into account that typical collector's editions are priced higher, even if they only include a chipset box as an extra. US pricing would need to add on 10% sales tax, as UK prices have VAT already included.

Any future standard edition is meaningless to talk about the SRP. It never sells for the SRP, especially if the Collector's Edition is still in stock.
For example, currently, from AL’s store, you can buy either the “Collectors” OR “Standard” parts of Gundam SEED (SRP59.99) for £41.99 each.
Gundam Build is SRP69.99 so will definitely be more than £41.99 after the early bird. You can buy the US Gundam Build Fighters from UP1 at a non-sale price, including VAT, of £48.13 plus a few £ postage.

I bought it when it was new and it was $61 so even with our way way worse ER it’s only £10 more than this EB. I do agree that expecting people to have region A players is not right as they aren’t cheap at all. And only for Discotek and Nozomi it is required as FUNi/CR mostly is AB now and sentai is Geo-locked.

The choice to split it makes no sense for this when with GBF Try they could have just did their normal release style anyway. As it has two seasons?

Also there is no way we will be getting stuff like Gundam-San so I’m just glad I lost faith this long ago. (When the Zeta debacle was happening)

Last edited:
I think I’d be wary of any multiple-part anime release these days.
From a customer point of view:
a) What’s the point? I’m going to have to wait for the rest of the release once I start watching it...
b) Takes up more space for pretty much no reason. Do we get a bigger outer box to put the individual part boxes in? You end up hiding one within the other.
c) There‘s the inevitable mismatch in part availability (one part becomes impossible to find, while the other can’t be given away).
And that’s assuming there’s not some impressive cock-up that leads to a multi-year delay, the licence expiring, a complete redesign mismatch of the packaging, and then some other source releasing it sooner/better/instead.

The split is unreasonable and just serves to anger the dedicated fans

I’m not a dedicated fan - I’m as casual as it gets for Gundam. Specifically, I’ve bought a handful of CEs and a handful of standard releases, yet haven’t watched any of them.
But there’s zero chance of me buying this split release, so they’re certainly not growing the market here.

MACROSS PLUS: MOVIE EDITION Ultimate Edition Blu-Ray coming to NA, Europe, and AU/NZ late 2023/early 2024

Interesting that ATA managed to license this, considering that the long-standing Manga Entertainment license was the reason this managed to have a western release for so long, when everything else Macross was still being prevented from sneaking out of Japan.

MACROSS PLUS: MOVIE EDITION Ultimate Edition Blu-Ray coming to NA, Europe, and AU/NZ late 2023/early 2024

Interesting that ATA managed to license this, considering that the long-standing Manga Entertainment license was the reason this managed to have a western release for so long, when everything else Macross was still being prevented from sneaking out of Japan.
This was announced last year. Andrew has clarified that the logo is incorrect and the UE will include both the Movie and OVA versions.

To be fair AL did get Cyber City Oedo (and probably some other expired Manga licenses) so it's not too out there for them to get this as well.

AL have had quite a few Manga licenses now, Perfect Blue, Millennium Actress, Cyber City Oedo, Royal Space Force and EoE/D&R. So I expect them to get more in the future since Crunchy UK doesn't give half a crap about old Manga Ent licenses unless its the big ones like GITS or Akira. I hope one day we can get a 4K Ninja Scroll from AL

Last edited:
AL have had quite a few Manga licenses now, Perfect Blue, Millennium Actress, Cyber City Oedo, Royal Space Force and EoE/D&R. So I expect them to get more in the future since Crunchy UK doesn't give half a crap about old Manga Ent licenses unless its the big ones like GITS or Akira. I hope one day we can get a 4K uncut Ninja Scroll or just uncut Ninja Scroll from AL.
EoE/D&R?

4k Ninja Scroll would be nice but was the Manga UK release From a few years ago Not Uncut ?

Back