UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Hm, considering Emma S1 CE and Captain Tylor TV Series CE aren't on sale but S2 and the OVA's are for their respective series, likely they are in the mystery boxes but dunno which (of course), two of the series I wanted most as well.

Last edited:
I need your expert knowledge! is the Gundam 00 film worth watching? it doesn't seem to have a very good rep from a quick google
As someone who likes 00 but can acknowledge its flaws, I think the movie is good. Thing is it hinges on you having watched the show and sadly a lot of people miss that things that happen in season 2 and the movie are foreshadowed in season 1.

That's a pretty quiet announcement for Patlabor the Movie (& presumably 2). They're easily in my top five animate films, so I'll definitely pick them up, so long as the Manga UK dub is featured. I'm aware there might be some issues regarding rights and being made at PAL/50 fps. That said, people have made fan rips (I have no doubt Justin Sevakis has made his own), so it should be possible. Frankly, attempting to release it without those dubs sounds absurd to me, seeing as they're what most western fans associate with the films. It's not like they've ever been big sellers for any licensing company, so stripping out some of the core features for collectors sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Sadly nothing in the sales for me once again. I think the only titles I'd be willing to blind buy would be Emma & Captain Tylor, & neither of those showed up in the 2/1 section. Maybe next year.

With Patlabor I imagine AL will just use the Sentai masters rather than go to the expense of re-authoring the discs to include the Manga UK dub. Discotek have managed to obtain the rights to use many Manga UK dubs so it's likely possible on that side of things, but it'll be an added expense. I live in hope though because those dubs are the best Manga UK ever did, and an example of what they could do if they had a modicum of respect for the source material.

Those dubs might be all that can get me to buy the films again (VHS, DVD x2, Blu-ray at this point) because whatever physical extras AL muster up they won't be able to top the amazing books in the shiny DVD breezeblocks.

Oh, is it available already, just bought the collectors edition early bird redux of Junk head.
not yet but hmv and amazon have a pre order date of 18th Dec

Doubt that's real but both say it

With Patlabor I imagine AL will just use the Sentai masters rather than go to the expense of re-authoring the discs to include the Manga UK dub. Discotek have managed to obtain the rights to use many Manga UK dubs so it's likely possible on that side of things, but it'll be an added expense. I live in hope though because those dubs are the best Manga UK ever did, and an example of what they could do if they had a modicum of respect for the source material.

Those dubs might be all that can get me to buy the films again (VHS, DVD x2, Blu-ray at this point) because whatever physical extras AL muster up they won't be able to top the amazing books in the shiny DVD breezeblocks.
Sentai BD of 2 has corrupted frames, so I hope they don't.

I'm not going to buy the AL release when a few months ago I picked up the reasonably priced Japanese 1+2 standard edition set with English subtitles, original Japanese theatrical track and Bandai dub.

Just porting over the Sentai discs would be a pointless endeavour. We need the original audio tracks; anything additional would be gravy, but the Making Ofs have never made it onto a Blu-Ray AFAIK so it would be nice to see them rescued. Ideally, we'd get a 4K UHD release as lord knows they deserve them but that's probably unlikely considering they haven't been upgraded in Japan (but neither had Future Boy Conan...).

Also wouldn't say no to a 4 film set that includes The Next Generation Patlabor: Tokyo War

Saw Godzilla Minus One.

Not a bad film but if you're wanting kaiju you'll be disappointed. It's very much a human led drama in the style of 90s Hollywood disaster movies. Goji himself isn't really a character.
Well, I'm quite optimistic to see how Godzilla Minus One is going to be, as I've seen the reception amongst tokusatsu fans (on Twitter) to be much more positive.

Back