UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Safe to say I'll probably give the next 12 Days sale a miss if they still haven't addressed these issues.

Yeah, I'm afraid I'm about done with Anime Limited for importing anime anymore - first it was a full year's wait for my 2022 Holiday pre-orders to arrive, on top of all the other Collector's Edition delays upon repeated delays, which has made me swear to never pre-order any of their Collectors Editions ever again, and wait until after they are in stock to purchase them, if ever - now their shipping for in-stock items has become yet another pile of defication. It took them 18 days to ship out this years's Christmas Sale order of all in-stock items I placed on Day 1 of the sale, plus of course 8 more days for the package to arrive here in the US - and now it's been 17 days since I placed an all in-stock order during their Boxing Day/New Year's sale, and that order hasn't even shipped yet either.

On top of all that is the defective disc for the Nadia Ultimate Edition and now the Kids on the Slope Collector's Edition missing subtitles - They'd better get their act together in a big hurry... 💩

For what it's worth, The New Files is a direct continuation of the TV series while the third film isn't part of any continuation. You’ve basically started at the worst possible point.

I’d recommend at watching watching The Early Days OVAs before diving into Patlabor the Movie 1 & 2
Thanks for taking the time to reply. It's appreciated 👍.

The trouble is that I'm not really a mecha fan and I didn't meet a character I wanted to follow. In the 3rd film I liked the 2 detectives.

The show's I've enjoyed are Gravion, Godannar and Kirameki Project. And not many others. I suppose Darling in the FRANXX would count.

Sounds like I will like the third Patlabor movie as well - I'm also not a mecha fan, so give me a detective story over mecha anytime. I actually have yet to watch the third movie, never made the effort mainly because of the online negativity for it. I do like the first two movies, aside from all the mecha. I've watched some of the TV series, but never finished it because it was a bit to comedic for my tastes, I would much prefer more serious drama.

Last edited:
Yeah, the AL site definitely has a "CBA" vibe about it.

The front page still has a category for "MVM Stocking Fillers". Christmas has been and gone. It's nice that the offers are still available, but at least change the name!

Speaking of Christmas, the "New Products" section still has a massive banner at the top with Christmas trees, snowflakes, baubles and stuff on it.

Random items still claim they're preorders. Gundam Build Fighters Part 2 says "THIS IS A PRE-ORDER ITEM, WITH A RELEASE DATE OF 18TH DECEMBER". Is it actually out yet or not? Who knows?! (Probably the people who've got it/not got it)

Even worse, My-Hime says "NOTE: THIS IS A PRE-ORDER PRODUCT - RELEASE DATE 30TH MAY 2022". It's 2024 now. I know AL's delays are bad, but surely it's out by now.

Obviously none of this stuff is super important but it all just makes AL look a bit amateurish.

If they can't get releases out on time, spell things right in their booklets, communicate with customers or give accurate information in their social media statements, they could at least try to keep their website in order!

I read previously in this thread that they are getting a new website, so hopefully that will help with the functionality and will mean they keep up with maintaining it.

Even their "deal of the week" has been the same for months on end as far as I can tell. I don't know if they've simply stopped doing those though.

It would be the equivalent of going into a physical shop and seeing items mislabelled - it just doesn't give off a very good impression for the customer.

For a company that describes itself as Europe’s leading boutique animation distributor, I would expect a cleaner looking and better maintained website. But hopefully this forthcoming website change means a better user experience for us.

Last edited:
The third Patlabor movie is distinctly fine. For me, it smacks of "we really wanted Oshii to direct this one as well, but he couldn't, so we got someone else to try their best to emulate his style and sense of atmosphere" and the result is, in my opinion, a fairly plodding and kinda boring monster movie. You could do a lot worse, but it's a stark contrast to the previous two films.

Regarding AL's shipping delays, the Christmas sales for the last few years have been fine. Looking through my orders for the past few, none took more than a week to ship out, so not sure what's happened with AL and/or Limewood this year to warrant such delays. In true AL style though, the complete lack of any communication whatsoever is a bad look.

If they can't get releases out on time, spell things right in their booklets, communicate with customers or give accurate information in their social media statements, they could at least try to keep their website in order!
They can't even copy and paste a price correctly half the time. Whenever there's a new early bird, there's almost always a mismatch between the actual price of the product, and price stated in the "buy this at an early bird price until X date" message on the same page.

Random items still claim they're preorders. Gundam Build Fighters Part 2 says "THIS IS A PRE-ORDER ITEM, WITH A RELEASE DATE OF 18TH DECEMBER". Is it actually out yet or not? Who knows?! (Probably the people who've got it/not got it)
General retail: January 8
Amazon & others claim "in stock"

Can confirm Flowers of Evil uses the 2021 Sentai Filmworks discs. Had a quick look on each episode and there's subs at least (which it needs to otherwise its unwatchable, the subs are locked as to be expected).

I am curious to see if Kids on the Slope uses the 2021 discs or the old MVM discs. Can anyone confirm? You'll be able to check if there's disc credits on Disc 2 of the set.

I am curious to see if Kids on the Slope uses the 2021 discs or the old MVM discs. Can anyone confirm? You'll be able to check if there's disc credits on Disc 2 of the set.

The old MVM discs had unlocked subtitles in that big font that Sentai initially used on BD, they also had subtitles for episode four, and the first run release that Sentai and Hanabee put out had a single channel of audio on episode 11's Japanese track. MVM got the corrected disc before they released it. Might be worth checking episode 11 for mono audio...

And a couple of glitched frames in episode 9. For one frame 2:23 into the episode there is bit of minor pixellation that distorts Kaoru’s face. Then for another frame at the end, 21:01 as the screen pans up over a night sky, the whole screen pixellates.

Can confirm Flowers of Evil uses the 2021 Sentai Filmworks discs. Had a quick look on each episode and there's subs at least (which it needs to otherwise its unwatchable, the subs are locked as to be expected).

IMG_20240113_202527735.jpg
They appear to be the 2021 Sentai discs

I managed to dodge the bullet on that one regarding the subtitles. To those who own the US 2021 re-issue, does that issue affect the US release too, or does it only affect the UK release (similar to AL's Nadia release, which has the missing episode problem that the US Sentai release didn't have)?
The US release does not have any issues with episode 4. I skipped around the entire episode, subtitles were there for all of the dialogue.

I'm no expert in disc authoring, but if the US disc for KOTS has no subtitle issue on episode 4, how is it possible that these repackaged UK discs have an issue with them?
If they're region-locked (most likely the case), then a different release was put together (presumably from the same source material). The UK party probably forgot to include subtitles then for episode 4 on the UK version.

I'm no expert in disc authoring, but if the US disc for KOTS has no subtitle issue on episode 4, how is it possible that these repackaged UK discs have an issue with them?

Anime Limited have modified the discs so that the introductions (US copyright / Sentai logo / HIDIVE trailer) are replaced by Anime Limited's logos before it goes into Sentai's menus. Chances are when they were sorting that out they touched stuff that shouldn't be messed with (like how Nadia's Blu-rays turned out with that one episode being locked out from view).

Back