AnimeCentral; a new anime TV channel coming to the UK?

Ramen89 said:
Escaflowne, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd Gig, s-cry-ed and Witch Hunter Robin are also lined up for the channel apparently.

And also, it's apparently starting on September 10th.

I hope to God it's the original version and not the Fox Kids butchered version.

Because if it is...

:evil:

More Anime Central Details
Sorry for the delay, got back home at 1am, so was on to fit state to put details up, and have only just managed to get on the unblokced PC.
Starting on Sky (basic package), but if it gets enough support and if negotiations go well they’d like it to go onto cable and Freeview as well. It will start with a 9pm to 6am slot with 3 three hour blocks. The show will be FMA, Bleach, Gundam SEED, GitS: SAC (1st and 2nd Gig), .Hack (one of them didn’t catch which one), Planetes, Cowboy Bebop, Transformers (Headmasters and ones of that ilk), Scryed, Escaflowne. They are aiming for the 16-34 demographic, but not just the dedicated anime fan and are trying to get a wider audience. To start they will all be Dub’s, and to start they will be going for longer series (26 episodes or more), and there will be no presenters.
Future plans are interesting, other that the hope for Freeview, if it gets well it may go 24hr, with more kid friendly shows during the day. There was also talk of movies, sub’s slots, and titles from more companies (possibly getting a new Viz title, my guess would be something to do with Azure Wyrms ), and there was friendly banter between Hugh (ADV) and Andrew (Beez), as for some shorter series (Paranoia Agent being the one banded about as an example), may be coming but not for a while. Reason for the lack of short series is that the Japanese want to charge the same for a 12 episode as for a 26 episode series.

This sounds fantastic. I really hope it comes to freeview because that's the only way I'm going to be able to see it.

Excellent news that Bleach will be on. Pretty good lineup, there's got to be at least 1 series that even the real obsessives haven't seen. 2 or 3 that I'm looking forward to (Wolf's Rain, Planetes).

Also, I've gotta say that this is exactly the reason that Sky normally trumps other providers because it gets every channel, it hasn't got to go through that whole selection process that Virgin etc go through before adding a channel. Previously this has only been good news for religious channels and those 'girls writhing on a sofa taking text message' channels.

Also now Sky+ is included in even their basic package means that you can series link the stuff you want and then sit back and watch a few episodes when you get the chance. Surely you've got better things to do on a Saturday night?

Not meaning to sound like an advert for them but £99 for a Sky+ box and £16 a month for the basic package is hardly excessive IMHO. I just told my other half that they'd never miss Eastenders or Neighbours again and got signed up straight away.

BoringUtopia said:
Excellent news that Bleach will be on. Pretty good lineup, there's got to be at least 1 series that even the real obsessives haven't seen. 2 or 3 that I'm looking forward to (Wolf's Rain, Planetes).

Also, I've gotta say that this is exactly the reason that Sky normally trumps other providers because it gets every channel, it hasn't got to go through that whole selection process that Virgin etc go through before adding a channel. Previously this has only been good news for religious channels and those 'girls writhing on a sofa taking text message' channels.

Also now Sky+ is included in even their basic package means that you can series link the stuff you want and then sit back and watch a few episodes when you get the chance. Surely you've got better things to do on a Saturday night?

Not meaning to sound like an advert for them but £99 for a Sky+ box and £16 a month for the basic package is hardly excessive IMHO. I just told my other half that they'd never miss Eastenders or Neighbours again and got signed up straight away.

But you can do that with Virgin TV =P

Anyway, Virgin will never beat sky, no matter what. There are many reason for it, Sky is cheaper to air on, more channels and plus the fact that you can never get Sky free illegaly. Try it, and Sky will find out very quickly.

With Virgin, its all cable. They don't know who stealing who, so Virgin is losing a lot of money.

I ain't supporting SKy or virgin, but Virgin will die out before sky will.

Lupus Inu said:
I'm suprised no one has posted complaining about dubs yet. Either way, I'm hoping this will become an success.
If you read the second update post, you will find that Anime Central have plans to show subtitled version somewhere down the line. Also worth mentioning that Anime Central is owned and instgated by a company responsible for a number of channels (I think they have 12) some of which already air on Virgin Media (Scuzz is one of their family) so cross promotion is not only viable but likely.

Their future plans are to make it 24hr with the hours before 9 being kiddie friendly anime but no specific titles as yet. Also worth mentioning, despite them showing two titles to which Manga have DVD distribution rights for (GitS and Bleach) neither was licenced via or from Manga. In some kind of twist, BEEZ ended up with the TV licence for GitS and Bleach was licenced direct from Viz Media BV.

Gawyn said:
If you read the second update post, you will find that Anime Central have plans to show subtitled version somewhere down the line. Also worth mentioning that Anime Central is owned and instgated by a company responsible for a number of channels (I think they have 12) some of which already air on Virgin Media (Scuzz is one of their family) so cross promotion is not only viable but likely.

Their future plans are to make it 24hr with the hours before 9 being kiddie friendly anime but no specific titles as yet. Also worth mentioning, despite them showing two titles to which Manga have DVD distribution rights for (GitS and Bleach) neither was licenced via or from Manga. In some kind of twist, BEEZ ended up with the TV licence for GitS and Bleach was licenced direct from Viz Media BV.

Well, the Chartshow chanels that are on Virgin Media are only available for ex-ntl customers, so Virgin Media will most probably be negotiating with Chartshow TV very soon, to get the channels on both networks, so that means AnimeCentral is even more likley! Us Virgin media customers need to get ourselves heard!!!

Even though I have Virgin media, and probably wont get the channel for ages :( I am quite excited about Bleach hitting UK screens! They're launching just in time for the Naruto series 4 premiere in the UK, :O imaging the UK getting uncut naruto!!! Come on Chartshow, get the rights before Jetix!

One Piece needs a new home in the UK. Toonami dropped it as soon as they finished airing the end of Rainbow Mist, so hopefully AnimeCentral will air it sooner or later. 8)

EDIT: it looks like the other Chartshow TV channels are in widescreen, so maybe animecentral will be too!!! Are any of the animes confirmed for the channel in widescreen?

I honestly can't believe this is actually going ahead.
Only last year did I think this would not be a possibility...
Oh how times have changed, maybe the closed-minded attitude of most people in this country will change as well... but maybe that's going too far ;)
It will be nice to watch some of these shows in passing, only the ones I've already seem though : D
I also think this will be a great success, because as other countries have proved, anime channels seem to do extremely well... Anime Network US of course, and Animax... and all the others. So I can only think this is going to get better.

EDIT: Oh, and look at all the 1 posters who have joined : D . Good times.

Lupus Inu said:
I'm suprised no one has posted complaining about dubs yet. Either way, I'm hoping this will become an success.

I think on TV like this it dubs are more likely to get a wider audience. Well the .Hack//Sign dub is pretty good. Still a guy could dream about FUNi One Piece.

Ice Climber said:
Lupus Inu said:

I think on TV like this it dubs are more likely to get a wider audience. Well the .Hack//Sign dub is pretty good. Still a guy could dream about FUNi One Piece.

Yeah, that would be great! I still think that chances are Jetix will get their hands on it :(.

HokageLuffy said:
Ice Climber said:
Lupus Inu said:

Yeah, that would be great! I still think that chances are Jetix will get their hands on it :(.
Forget it, Turner would rather bloody Jetix's nose on the subject.

Plus it allows it to keep Turner's "anime's for fuckwads" persona in check.

Conan-san said:
HokageLuffy said:
Ice Climber said:
Lupus Inu said:

Forget it, Turner would rather bloody Jetix's nose on the subject.

Plus it allows it to keep Turner's "anime's for fuckwads" persona in check.

Naruto, Bobobo, Viewtiful Joe, Shaman King, Sonic X.

Where have you been?

Back