Announcement + Roundup from the May MCM Expo

Arbalest

黒い剣士
The London MCM Expo for May has just about been and gone and we have a good collection of announcements thrown at us. Here is a quick rundown of what was announced for release here in the UK:

Tiger & Bunny
Kuragahime
Sekerei
Freedom - Single Blu-Ray release on the 10th of October
King of Thorn
Dance of the Vampire Bund
Phanton: Requiem of the Phantom
Ikki Tousen: Dragon Destiny - Straight to box set.
Blade of the Immortal( as a 3 disc set)
Strike Witches
On top of the announcements, Manga, MVM and Kaze gave a quick roundup of what was selling/'doing well int he UK this past few months, with Tiger & Bunny showing to be the most popular series on Anime on Demand, Professor Layton selling close to 24k units for manga, and for MVM, we heard that Samurai Champloo was still selling well even now, and that it will be getting another re-release this year hopefully backing up it's 27-28k units sold so far.
There was also a representative from Animenewsnetwork on the panel there, generally to get an idea and feel for the British Anime community and how different series trend here compared to over in the US, again with Samurai Champloo a good example, only doing mediocre in the US, whilst selling strongly here.
For more discussion on the Panel: the <a href="http://forums.animeuknews.net/viewtopic.php?t=14259">MCM Expo Anime Panel Spring 2011 Discussion thread</a>
&nbsp;

Sparrowsabre7 said:
*scans list. No Bakuman*

FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!
Not announced for the USA yet.
Still no S23/Sentai stuff announced here except Highschool of the Dead, and no Bandai announcements either.

Arbalest said:
There was also a representative from Animenewsnetwork on the panel there, generally to get an idea and feel for the British Anime community and how different series trend here compared to over in the US, again with Samurai Champloo a good example, only doing mediocre in the US, whilst selling strongly here.
From what I recall, that was more or less everything this representative said. It didn't matter though. I had my hat.

Reaper gI said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:
*scans list. No Bakuman*

Still no S23/Sentai stuff announced here except Highschool of the Dead, and no Bandai announcements either.

I thought funi had licensed it? Or was that just me thinking "this is exactly the kind of thing funi would license"?

Zin5ki said:
Arbalest said:
From what I recall, that was more or less everything this representative said. It didn't matter though. I had my hat.
Heh.

But Samurai Champloo sales mediocre in the US? The Geneon guy on ANN's very own podcast said that was a massive hit.

Sparrowsabre7 said:
Reaper gI said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:
*scans list. No Bakuman*

I thought funi had licensed it? Or was that just me thinking "this is exactly the kind of thing funi would license"?
You were imagining it, and it'll likely go to Viz (being produced by their parent company).

Reaper gI said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:
Reaper gI said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:
*scans list. No Bakuman*

You were imagining it, and it'll likely go to Viz (being produced by their parent company).

Stupid brain... Yeah that sounds likely then. I've little doubt it will get a release, coming from the creator of Death Note and receiving a good reception in terms of the manga and anime as far as I know.

Sparrowsabre7 said:
Reaper gI said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:
Reaper gI said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:
*scans list. No Bakuman*

Stupid brain... Yeah that sounds likely then. I've little doubt it will get a release, coming from the creator of Death Note and receiving a good reception in terms of the manga and anime as far as I know.
It was indeed well recieved otherwise there wouldnt be a second season coming.

daichi383 said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:
Reaper gI said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:
Reaper gI said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:
*scans list. No Bakuman*

It was indeed well recieved otherwise there wouldnt be a second season coming.
Nope.
It didn't get very good TV ratings and it didn't sell that many disks.
Assume it has good merchandise sales (i.e. it acted as a good advert for the manga).
The anime itself was near invisible.

Poor adaptation, maybe, but I thought as a stand-alone product it was entertaining enough. Characters were very well realized etc.

It seems odd that Samurai Champloo is selling not so well in the US (as someone said earlier I thought it was doing fine) is there any reason to attribute this to?

Even so I'm glad we've been buying it up!

Churchy99 said:
It seems odd that Samurai Champloo is selling not so well in the US (as someone said earlier I thought it was doing fine) is there any reason to attribute this to?

Even so I'm glad we've been buying it up!

If Samurai Champloo tanks in the US, why have Funimation gone to the effort of re-releasing it on Blu-ray, and shelling out for a new transfer to erase the sin of the over DNR'd first release?

I guess the Samurai Champloo thing was more of an issue of it selling exceptionally well over here in comparison to the US where its just doing a little better than OK.

Back